Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
But how is it $75 cheaper than flying? For me, TBT is $360 I believe, is that not standard? Air fees are high, but $200+?

Yes actually.

United is $200 each way. That’s my most connected airline for my area.

Sucks a lot.

Also be sure to utilize the $50 or $75 off sales TBT has periodically.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A question for those who use a bike case and the airlines, how often are you charged a sports equipment fee for your bike?

I thought I saw on Delta's website $150 (each way) possible fee, and TriBike was $312. So I used TriBiike.

I will be going to the shop 45 minutes from my house to pick up my bike this week. Not looking forward to that drive with traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
CCF wrote:

Why do people fly with their bikes rather than using bike flights?
Bike Flights doesn't go everywhere...

What do you mean? It's just FedEx.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I raced and tried to not burn my legs out in the 2,800 feet of climbing on the bike. I tried to use the percent grade to attempt to judge how my legs should feel. Unfortunately when we hit wind on the last 20 miles of the ride, I had no way to gauge how hard I should be pushing without power - and yes, despite my best efforts, I burned my legs out. I had a horrible run with tired legs and a high heart rate. I do blame this on the totality of circumstances of what happened during the bike transport. "

Of all the stuff I've read on this thread, this is what jumped out at me and is the easiest to fix.

If you're race is going to depend on your power meter being operational, your doing yourself a huge disservice. Shit happens all the time. Part of your training should be sans power meter so it's not a complete surprise if/when it happens again.

I hope that is one of your lessons learned.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
CCF wrote:
But how is it $75 cheaper than flying? For me, TBT is $360 I believe, is that not standard? Air fees are high, but $200+?

Yes actually.

Sucks a lot.

United is $150 domestic and $200 international.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
I'm thinking of using TBT for Ironman Canada, anyone have an experience there?

My only experience using TBT was Ironman Canada 2017. It was a very positive experience. Their tents were onsite just next to T2. If I were doing Whistler again, I'd sign up for TBT without thinking twice. I had 2 other friends with me who used them as well and had good experience.
Last edited by: ssmith2: Apr 15, 18 19:25
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it’s a convient excuse at least. If I ever say I had a bad race because my power meter dies I hope someone hits me in the nuts with a wiffle bat.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Well it’s a convient excuse at least. If I ever say I had a bad race because my power meter dies I hope someone hits me in the nuts with a wiffle bat.

There has to be a douchebag in every bunch.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. My wife does a lot of races over the past 10 years and we have transported bikes by several methods. I would rank TBT as our preferred.

1) Fly with bike: As mentioned by others, TSA can and will open your bike case if you travel with your bike. Expect that it will be thrown into a storage hold and that hundreds of pounds of luggage can be stacked on it from any direction. We are past the hassle and headache of disassembly and reassembly (twice), especially with DI2 cables and consideration of incorrect torque on carbon aerobars- too costly of a mistake. I have a nice Thule Bike Box collecting dust that I should sell.

2) FedEx: talk about stress! Delayed delivery to Kona! Bike arrived 2 days later than scheduled delivery... luckily we scheduled delivery 5 days before the WC. Have also experienced damage on one occasion

3). TBT: Quit positive including the TBT truck making a special route and stop to ensure that her bike made it back to PA last year from Chattanooga (IMWC 70.3) in time for IM Atlantic City 70.3 the following weekend. We have never experienced damage, or issues with Quarq power meter battery. My wife is now using Garmin PM pedals, which I remove and take in our luggage. We are using them for IMTX - drop off next weekend.

I'm feeling the pain of those who have had something go wrong and have witnessed what stress and anxiety can do to an athlete. I trust TBT are well intentioned triathlon enthusiasts who are invested in triathlon and triathletes. Can't say the same about the luggage handlers, TSA agents, or FedEx delivery folks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if I hurt your feeling however he’s right with what he said and it is an excuse. If you have to rely on your power meter you’re asking for something to go wrong. Racing at x wattage is a guess at best based on previous rides. There are a 100 things that could cause a change in that number during the day which could make you undershoot what you could ride or overshoot what should have been riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I frequently travel to races, and almost always travel with my bike (only 2 exceptions I used fedex).
Southwest Airlines is “only” $ 75, and with the right case often does not charge anything. What is the right case? After trying several, I finally found and settled on Pika Bike works. Simple and effective. I have made over 50 trips, including international and Hawaii, and have never had even the slightest of scratches, and always on time when I get to the airport. No doubt things can go wrong, but that is very much the exception. The main reason I fly with, is that when I travel it is usually to a course I am not familiar with and want to pre ride, often repeating key segments, and with TBT, they always get the bike to the race too late for this to be practical.
It takes me 15-20 minutes to pack, and about the same to set up. I general pack with wetsuit, my massage and stretch goodies, and water bottles, tools and pump. Typically weight of pack bike, goodies, and case is 35 lbs. The Pika Cases are very well made and properly padded.
I learned the hard way about equipment dependency at IM CDA in 2003. After 2 years of focused training for this race, with meticulous training and planning on heart rate, I emerged from the swim staring at a blank watch face, as the watch died during the swim. Never again. I train with power only on my trainer (I find it too distracting when riding outdoors), and use HR to “recalibrate” myself in early base training, but focus entirely on my body responses which I have “studied” during training for my races. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [Ptchristian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ptchristian wrote:
In Reply To:
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. My wife does a lot of races over the past 10 years and we have transported bikes by several methods. I would rank TBT as our preferred.

1) Fly with bike: As mentioned by others, TSA can and will open your bike case if you travel with your bike. Expect that it will be thrown into a storage hold and that hundreds of pounds of luggage can be stacked on it from any direction. We are past the hassle and headache of disassembly and reassembly (twice), especially with DI2 cables and consideration of incorrect torque on carbon aerobars- too costly of a mistake. I have a nice Thule Bike Box collecting dust that I should sell.

2) FedEx: talk about stress! Delayed delivery to Kona! Bike arrived 2 days later than scheduled delivery... luckily we scheduled delivery 5 days before the WC. Have also experienced damage on one occasion

3). TBT: Quit positive including the TBT truck making a special route and stop to ensure that her bike made it back to PA last year from Chattanooga (IMWC 70.3) in time for IM Atlantic City 70.3 the following weekend. We have never experienced damage, or issues with Quarq power meter battery. My wife is now using Garmin PM pedals, which I remove and take in our luggage. We are using them for IMTX - drop off next weekend.

I'm feeling the pain of those who have had something go wrong and have witnessed what stress and anxiety can do to an athlete. I trust TBT are well intentioned triathlon enthusiasts who are invested in triathlon and triathletes. Can't say the same about the luggage handlers, TSA agents, or FedEx delivery folks.

It’s concerning to see so many people having issues with both methods of transport. I agree with air travel too. I had the top of the line evoc bag several years ago and when I saw the damage that United caused - I swear they had to drop it from two stories high then pile massive amounts of luggage on top of it. It was so bad USAA decided to sue United. After hearing from a few like you, I think power in the pedals may be the way to go. You can remove them for transport and the batteries can easily be replaced. Unfortunately It doesn’t fix the delivery worries. But it is a start. Thanks for the feedback.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Apr 15, 18 21:15
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
I frequently travel to races, and almost always travel with my bike (only 2 exceptions I used fedex).
Southwest Airlines is “only” $ 75, and with the right case often does not charge anything. What is the right case? After trying several, I finally found and settled on Pika Bike works. Simple and effective. I have made over 50 trips, including international and Hawaii, and have never had even the slightest of scratches, and always on time when I get to the airport. No doubt things can go wrong, but that is very much the exception. The main reason I fly with, is that when I travel it is usually to a course I am not familiar with and want to pre ride, often repeating key segments, and with TBT, they always get the bike to the race too late for this to be practical.
It takes me 15-20 minutes to pack, and about the same to set up. I general pack with wetsuit, my massage and stretch goodies, and water bottles, tools and pump. Typically weight of pack bike, goodies, and case is 35 lbs. The Pika Cases are very well made and properly padded.
I learned the hard way about equipment dependency at IM CDA in 2003. After 2 years of focused training for this race, with meticulous training and planning on heart rate, I emerged from the swim staring at a blank watch face, as the watch died during the swim. Never again. I train with power only on my trainer (I find it too distracting when riding outdoors), and use HR to “recalibrate” myself in early base training, but focus entirely on my body responses which I have “studied” during training for my races. Good luck

Thank you this was very helpful. I have started to train the larger hill courses by feel but I am not quite there yet. The wind throws me for a loop. I’ll keep at it. Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [EvanG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EvanG wrote:
A question for those who use a bike case and the airlines, how often are you charged a sports equipment fee for your bike?

I have a Ruster Hen House and have not been charged in three trips. Most agents recognize it as a bike, they just think the size of the bag is fine. Of note, I have not flown on United with it!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
CCF wrote:

Yes actually.

Sucks a lot.

If you are in the US, tell the agent to only charge you $150. Also, don’t pay via the App as it will chatge you $200 for oversized versus the $150 for a bike, and sometimes the baggage people forget or are friendly and don’t charge. Here is their site information.

United accepts non-motorized bicycles with single or double seats (including tandem) or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 pounds (23 kg) and/or 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $150 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and a $200 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for all other travel. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is less than 50 pounds (23 kg) and 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but the first or second checked bag service charges may apply.

As far as the OP, I got an email from TBT (live in Houston as well) that they are doing visits to talk with customers since the CC acquisition.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those airline charges, is it a flat fee, or is it at all dependent on the size of the case?

I was wondering about the Scicon AeroComfort Triathlon 3.0 TSA Bike Bag. This is the one that (supposedly) allows you to pack your entire bike, nothing removed except wheels. I'm assuming this must be a pretty large case to allow handlebars to stay installed, etc. Any issues with the airlines?
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flat fee for the airline bike fee.

The bag you mentioned is a very nice big. It’s a soft case so there’s that but it’s pretty well constructed.

My observations upon using it a few times...

1. Your bike might not fit well or require a bit of disassembly depending on the size and shape of your bike. Fit my large Speed Concept and my brother’s size 56 Felt no problem. I had to take my Dimond, which has nearly identical size specs to the Trek and Felt, half apart to get it to fit in the case. That’s due to the odd shape of the Dimond though. Might as well use a hard case with the amount of disassembly I had to do.

2. No way I’d leave the aerobar extensions in. I can definitely see extensions getting broken if the case were to land hard where the extensions are.

3. The way you mount the bike in the case via skewers (like a bike stand) seems ideal but in my six trips with this bag, not once did the bike stay mounted. Either the front or rear skewer had come loose from getting man handled. The bike is pretty well strapped in and secure but I could see some risk damage to forks or rear dropouts.

4. It is a pretty large case but it scrunches down to a small footprint without bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Aside from the aero extensions....any concerns about the sides of the basebar getting damaged from side hits? Seems like the case buldges out for them, easy spots to get hit, dropped on, etc. Did you wrap extra padding around the bullhorns?
Guessing my bike size wouldn't be an issue, medium SC and 54 felt IA.
Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
iamuwere wrote:

My two experiences with TBT have been positive as well. But how is it $75 cheaper than flying? For me, TBT is $360 I believe, is that not standard? Air fees are high, but $200+ each way?

Why do people fly with their bikes rather than using bike flights?

Because they either do not service the races I go to or are prohibitively expensive. E.g., it cost me ZERO to take my bike from Florida to Ironman South Africa last year. I'm heading to Ironman Haugesund (Norway) this summer. I don't think they are an option there either. Plus, if you do some searching right here on SlowTwitch you can read about some horror stories from bike flights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

It's not a douchebag move to say that becoming more self reliant is a good move when it comes to racing.

I worked at a TBT drop off for a few years and they are a (seemingly) very inefficient company who provide an incredibly valuable service that - due to said inefficiency - experiences logistical problems on a mildly regular basis. But, if you transport 20,000 bikes a year to 100 different races between 500 cities...(totally making those numbers up but I'm sure they're not terrible estimates)...you are bound to experience problems, inevitably.

So, as an athlete, it is your responsibility to armor yourself against these potential issues as best you can. Learn how to do basic stuff on your own bike. Don't own a powermeter where you bike shop thinks you'll need a specially manufactured screwdriver to change the battery. Get other athletes to sign up for a race with TBT (minimum of 3 of 4 I think) and a new dropoff point can be created. Talk to your (more) local bike shop and convince them it's a good idea to be a dropoff location as people will spend money at the shop when dropping it off (this is a lie though, there is zero incentive or reason to be a TBT drop off for small shops. TBT should give them a percentage of transport sales on their shops' bikes but, like I said TBT seems inefficient).

I could go on for thousands of words about the logistics of racing triathlons and how frustrating it can be but I'll stop now.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Flat fee for the airline bike fee.

The bag you mentioned is a very nice big. It’s a soft case so there’s that but it’s pretty well constructed.

My observations upon using it a few times...

1. Your bike might not fit well or require a bit of disassembly depending on the size and shape of your bike. Fit my large Speed Concept and my brother’s size 56 Felt no problem. I had to take my Dimond, which has nearly identical size specs to the Trek and Felt, half apart to get it to fit in the case. That’s due to the odd shape of the Dimond though. Might as well use a hard case with the amount of disassembly I had to do.

2. No way I’d leave the aerobar extensions in. I can definitely see extensions getting broken if the case were to land hard where the extensions are.

3. The way you mount the bike in the case via skewers (like a bike stand) seems ideal but in my six trips with this bag, not once did the bike stay mounted. Either the front or rear skewer had come loose from getting man handled. The bike is pretty well strapped in and secure but I could see some risk damage to forks or rear dropouts.

4. It is a pretty large case but it scrunches down to a small footprint without bike.

Thanks for the feedback Gman - I always appreciate your advice and point of view. I think the Scicon hard case is the one I am eyeballing too. I am looking forward to playing around with one to see if I can just breakdown one of two parts. After my experience with United - I will avoid United (if possible) and definitely use a hard case. I can learn the bike better and wrap the hell out of it with padding and feel better that I will not lose it for 2+ weeks for trailer travel with no guarantee of delivery.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Thanks. Aside from the aero extensions....any concerns about the sides of the basebar getting damaged from side hits? Seems like the case buldges out for them, easy spots to get hit, dropped on, etc. Did you wrap extra padding around the bullhorns?
Guessing my bike size wouldn't be an issue, medium SC and 54 felt IA.
Thx

The frame is more or less protected on each side by your wheels plus the padding of the case itself, which while not made of vibranium, is sufficient against the case being bumped around. Yes, I'd suggest using extra padding around parts of frame and bars. I use AlboPads, as they can be reused and come with velcro straps and all that. Simple.

Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Trigirl357 wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

It's not a douchebag move to say that becoming more self reliant is a good move when it comes to racing.

I worked at a TBT drop off for a few years and they are a (seemingly) very inefficient company who provide an incredibly valuable service that - due to said inefficiency - experiences logistical problems on a mildly regular basis. But, if you transport 20,000 bikes a year to 100 different races between 500 cities...(totally making those numbers up but I'm sure they're not terrible estimates)...you are bound to experience problems, inevitably.

So, as an athlete, it is your responsibility to armor yourself against these potential issues as best you can. Learn how to do basic stuff on your own bike. Don't own a powermeter where you bike shop thinks you'll need a specially manufactured screwdriver to change the battery. Get other athletes to sign up for a race with TBT (minimum of 3 of 4 I think) and a new dropoff point can be created. Talk to your (more) local bike shop and convince them it's a good idea to be a dropoff location as people will spend money at the shop when dropping it off (this is a lie though, there is zero incentive or reason to be a TBT drop off for small shops. TBT should give them a percentage of transport sales on their shops' bikes but, like I said TBT seems inefficient).

I could go on for thousands of words about the logistics of racing triathlons and how frustrating it can be but I'll stop now.

Regarding the Douchebag remark... there was no advice he provided about being self reliant. Others found a more productive way of suggesting becoming more self reliant and even provided examples based from experiences they had. I also already addressed this myself in my original post. His remark was purely to demean the way I have trained, was uncalled for and was vulgar by referring to striking his mansack with a hollow plastic bat meant to inflict pain. I clearly stated I was looking for "options and solutions." He provided no constructive criticism, advice or insight. I have zero tolerance for this behavior. Keyboard courage. Pure Douchebag remark.

I appreciate your feedback regarding TBT. I understand things go wrong with mass numbers - hence the reason why I liked the smaller trailer transport companies. Now it looks like we are back to the TBT monopoly and I am just not willing to take the same chances of not having my things/bike arrive since all of my races are essentially destination vacations.

Since my original post I have found out that TBT has pissed off many of the bike shops in Houston. No one wants to work with them any more - combination of poor communication, treatment and no benefit to the shops. I knew they used to come into town a lot with several shops when I used them before and was quite perplexed to hear when they bought out Cycle Chauffeur that they couldn't get the well known bike shops to call them back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll hit you up offline (from ST anyway) with my thoughts on this matter -- power meter and all that. I have an opinion. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Bad Experience with TriBike Transport - looking for options and solutions [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
there is zero incentive or reason to be a TBT drop off for small shops. TBT should give them a percentage of transport sales on their shops' bikes but, like I said TBT seems inefficient).

Is this true? The shop gets literally zero for me signing up for TBT with them as the drop off point? I haven't done TBT, but am doing it in a few weeks for IMSG. It will obviously be work for them to accept my bike and store it until the TBT people take it.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply

Prev Next