Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Back to IRL Cycling Problems
Quote | Reply
Hello all,
I just finished my first season using a trainer indoors, as the Midwest in January is a bit took much for me. Now with the sun and warmth, I'm back outside, and something unexpected has occurred: I miss Zwifting.

Now, my lower back hurts, I have medial knee pain on my left side, and the I now realize how much time it takes to keep a bike road worthy for all conditions. Also, my lungs hurt from the much dryer, dustier air, and I am still getting over the fear of travelling quickly next to cars going much faster (an unfortunate reality of rural cycling).

Yes, I agree, I am complaining quite a bit, so thanks for hearing me out, but I would like to seriously ask about the lower back pain and medial left knee pain that didn't occur on the trainer. Additionally, feel free to bellyache with your own love of the great indoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Back to IRL Cycling Problems [Driva77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the same knee pain after spending months on the trainer, then going outdoors. I will be interested to see what others say. I always figure its from using way more muscles to cycle outside versus indoors, dont really know though.

My solution, I bike indoors for 95% of my riding now. Don't know if this helps my riding, or hurts it, I know alot of good cyclists that ride alot indoors, as well as lots that mostly bike outdoors. So, who really knows I guess!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I go outside, I do it to have fun

I try to save most of my hard rides for indoors, and just enjoy the fresh air / gravel / scenery much more than I used to

Love to go fast outside too, but seems that’s less frequent these days, excluding racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sooo do you train for the sake of training, or train to race outside? Legit question, because if you just like training, by all means go back inside. If you're training to race though, you might think about what it is that your body needs to have to ride outside that it isn't getting indoors, what that costs you in terms of performance, and how to address it.

Are your riding in the aero position outside and didn't do so indoors? Do you do any sort of core or lateral stability strength work? Cycling inside is so linear, if you don't do any of that you might consider adding it in.
Quote Reply