Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
BRING BACK STEVE KING!!!!
Quote | Reply
as seen on the lake front in Penticton this evening..... I know its been discussed before, but thought all us King fans would like to see this.

Last edited by: kytri_in_CO: Aug 19, 08 21:10
Quote Reply
Re: BRING BACK STEVE KING!!!! [kytri_in_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that's freaking awesome!

Quote | Reply
  That has made my week. Too bloody funny.I have never been more proud of the people of Penticton.I'm taking some beer to the managers of the Slumber Lodge.Bloody great!!!!!!

Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Aug 19, 08 21:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWESOME. I love that guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kickass!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree that this post has made my week. I only wish that I was able to be up there this year to hear Steve at the top of Richters Pass.

There is only one and will every be only one voice of Ironman Canada and that person is not announcing from the main area this year.
Quote Reply
Re: BRING BACK STEVE KING!!!! [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought I'd bump this for the morning crowd and of course to stir the pot a bit. ;)

Quote Reply
Re: BRING BACK STEVE KING!!!! [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen.

Heading out tomorrow!

===============================

member of the Litespeed Mafia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone thought of doing a petition during registration?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that Mike Riley isn't a good announcer - he is, but he's not Canadian, and let's face it, most of the athletes are, not to mention the spectators. So every time Mike says "from Ontario, Canada...", it's annoying. Mike, we know Ontario is in Canada.

And Steve is so emotional. He makes you feel the race and feel for the athlete even if you're sitting in the stands. Nobody will ever be as good as Steve for IMC.

I'm sure that the American folks would feel the same at Kona if Steve were to replace Mike.

Come on NASports, don't f*ck with perfection!

BRING BACK STEVE KING!
Quote Reply
Re: BRING BACK STEVE KING!!!! [Softride_Rules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's not that Mike Riley isn't a good announcer...

If I never hear Reilly screaming "and the next winner is..." or "Joe Schmoe, you are an ironman!" it will be too soon.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's not that Mike Riley isn't a good announcer

I debate that to some extent, during the swim he missed calling out the lpro leaders coming into transition, completely. Alot of the commentary prior to the start and during the swim was very uninformative, it just appears that he did not do any home work on some of the key participants (pros and top AG). In this regard, I suspect we are holding him up to the standard of Steve King who is very well prepared, listening to him at the top of Richter and Skaha you got a bit of an idea of the background of the next racer coming along and it helps us cheer them on even more

Quote | Reply
We had noticed the sign at the Slumber Lodge shortly after we arrived in town, but what I didn't notice until early Tuesday morning as we were leaving was that 'several' motels on Lakeshore had the same message on their signs. Very cool indeed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I know this is not politically correct but let's face it...Mike Riley is an announcer but NOT a good announcer. He is good at repeatedly screaming the same few phrases over and over and bellowing boring banter but that is not GOOD announcing.

Greg.
Quote Reply
Re: BRING BACK STEVE KING!!!! [Timemachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but he is very good at plugging the sponsors!

Quote | Reply
Guys, no need to bash Mike Reilly. Him and Steve are two different people with completely diffferent styles. Those of us who have done IMC, have grown to expect Steve King there like we expect Richter Pass, or Yellow Lakes or the run hills at OK falls.

Reilly does a great job at other NAS events. I have no issue with the job he did at IMC. He put his tireless energy into it. To crucify him cause we love Steve King is simply unfair.

For myself, it was an incredible high to see Steve King after not being at IMC for 11 years. On the bike course, he spotted me out of hundreds and said something along the lines of me having done the race multiple times in the early 90's and back for more. On the run course, I made it a point to go off course and shake the man's hand. He is a legend with an uncanny ability to remember details. Steve is the man.

But guys, be fair. Imagine if you were asked to announce IMC. Could you do as good a job as Steve King? The answer is no. Reilly rocks, but he rocks in a different way. It works at Kona and it works at IMLP. He just has ridiculously big shoes to fill at IMC. Don't shoot the messenger. Reilly is a good man. He was doing the job that he was asked to do. Complaints to bring back Steve King should be directed to NAS...don't take it out on Reilly!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
["from Ontario, Canada...", it's annoying. Mike, we know Ontario is in Canada. ]

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ontario is not in California??????????????? Since when????????????

:)

Fred
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NAS - BRING BACK STEVE KING

Hare Krishna
Quote Reply
Re: BRING BACK STEVE KING!!!! [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
um actually there is an Ontario, California. I have family there..http://www.ci.ontario.ca.us/
Quote Reply
Re: BRING BACK STEVE KING!!!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev is right...don't bash Mike Reilly. Mike Called me an Ironman 4 times at IMLP & once at Wisconsin and his voice was the perfect ending of a great day for me at these events. I also had the experience to have Steve King announce my finish at IMC twice. Steve King is the voice of IMC. Steve is a part of the IMC experience and hopefully Graham will seriously reconsider bringing Steve back in 2009.
Quote Reply
Re: BRING BACK STEVE KING!!!! [Reparto Corse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't intending to bash Mike Reilly but maybe I should have qualified my opinion better. Maybe he's fine from a competitor's perspective when you only hear him announcing for a few minutes as you are at the finish line. From a spectator's standpoint who has to listen to him at the finish line for several hours, it's extremely annoying . I'm sure he'd be a great announcer for a lot of events but an Ironman is not one of them.

Greg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1.

Being an announcer is one thing but keeping the crowd interested in what you are saying is another. Steve King is just another league above all other announcers in this department. I could sit and listen to Steve all day (which I have done many times) and learn something about the sport. I have on many occasions listened to others at Ironman Canada and just simply put in my Ipod and watched the race.

There is only one announcer for Ironman Canada and he was just located in a different spot out on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another fan of Reilly here! When I started in this sport, it was sort of legendary that you would want to hear Reilly call you across the line in your first (and subsequent) IM. I personally think that speaking on the mic for 18 hours (he starts before the race) is a feat that I could never imagine, and I used to announce surfing/bodyboarding events.
That said, I had the pleasure of racing IMC in '07 for the 25th anniversary year and Steve actually raced so I watched him cross the line late that evening, but really loved his emcee job at the banquets. It was obvious he knew everything about everyone. I had never heard of Steve prior to racing in Canada (only my 3rd year in the sport at the time), but made a point to Google him and read about his storied history in endurance sports and have a great deal of respect for him as well.
As others have said, he's not necessarily better, just different. I hope to do IMC again in the future and would love to have Steve call me across the line there when I do!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: BRING BACK STEVE KING!!!! [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
It's not that Mike Riley isn't a good announcer...

If I never hear Reilly screaming "and the next winner is..." or "Joe Schmoe, you are an ironman!" it will be too soon.

YOU DID IT BROTHER!!!
Quote Reply
Re: BRING BACK STEVE KING!!!! [B M A N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have on many occasions listened to others at Ironman Canada and just simply put in my Ipod and watched the race. "

I mentioned in another thread how I loved Steve's announcing. However, I did not mention it to my parents. They came out for the race again. I guess the 4th time they have been to IMC. And they have seen me race in Kona as well as AZ. Anyways, they commented to me after the race how disappointed they were in the announcer. That he seemed to not know what was happening in the race. They commented he'd announce for a bit and then go away for a few hours. Leaving them to wonder what was happening in the race. Not to mention the only thing he ever said was "you are an ironman" over and over.

So, it was interesting to hear things from their perspective, as spectators (who have never done a triathlon themselves). I thought maybe I was being too much of a "tri geek" to love what Steve does. But apparently so do others with less interest in the sport. Strictly spectators out to watch their son and enjoy the day of racing.

So, I vote once again to have Steve King back at IMC! Please.

Scott

------
Scott McMillan, M.Sc
Twitter@Factor9Coaching | Factor9Coaching.com | Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next