Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BRIC training to avoid injuries
Quote | Reply
Hi Forum.

After almost a year away from running, I'm back.
My issues are: I'm a big guy at 90 kg (200 pound?), and in decent shape. I have been running the last 10 years, except for the usual minor injuries - and in
Now I will try to avoid injuries, thus I'm starting up real slow.

An easy way to keep it slow, is only run as BRIC workouts, to have both fatigue and being warm.
But I'm wondering if it is better to run without fatigue, to avoid injuries?

Any thoughts
Quote Reply
Re: BRIC training to avoid injuries [FSEng_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would rather work on your strength and mobility, in order to avoid injuries
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want to avoid injuries and gradually increase training - so far so good.

Running of the bike for your case:
  • (+) you start warmed-up, so you mitigate an injury probability,
  • (-) you start running exhausted, so the exercise load of the brick run is higher than comparable standalone run
  • (-) you start running fatigued, so your form isn't at its best, so the impact load of the brick run is higher than comparable standalone run

I'd recommend focusing on warming-up properly, without fatiguing 2h rides before, e.g. I find an elliptical cross-trainer the perfect warm-up device before running.

Quote Reply
Re: BRIC training to avoid injuries [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
You want to avoid injuries and gradually increase training - so far so good.

Running of the bike for your case:
  • (+) you start warmed-up, so you mitigate an injury probability,
  • (-) you start running exhausted, so the exercise load of the brick run is higher than comparable standalone run
  • (-) you start running fatigued, so your form isn't at its best, so the impact load of the brick run is higher than comparable standalone run

I'd recommend focusing on warming-up properly, without fatiguing 2h rides before, e.g. I find an elliptical cross-trainer the perfect warm-up device before running.

Thanks. My thought was the fatigue help med keep the pace low, making me less prone to injuries, but what you are saying is I really need a proper warm up, and then run with a focus on keeping the pace low, not just the feeling?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FSEng_Tri wrote:
Hi Forum.

After almost a year away from running, I'm back.
My issues are: I'm a big guy at 90 kg (200 pound?), and in decent shape. I have been running the last 10 years, except for the usual minor injuries - and in
Now I will try to avoid injuries, thus I'm starting up real slow.

An easy way to keep it slow, is only run as BRIC workouts, to have both fatigue and being warm.
But I'm wondering if it is better to run without fatigue, to avoid injuries?

Any thoughts

If you have access to one, a Concept2 rower is also a really good warm-up machine before running. Another thing you can try is to pair run workouts with swim workouts, so you swim after running, ideally straight after but if that's not possible a few hours later also works quite well, to reduce soreness and promote recovery/healing. When you do run, choose flatter, softer surfaces if possible (golf courses and beaches are awesome). Also, I don't know how tall you are, so this may not be an option, but shedding any excess pounds really helps with avoiding injuries. When I run at 170 pounds it feels far harder than running at 160 pounds, even though 10 pounds is not really that much.
Quote Reply
Re: BRIC training to avoid injuries [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately we havent got the space for a C2.
Regarding heigth I’m 193 cm (6’4”?).

I hope to loose more weight, have just lost 14 kg, but Im in a hope to be light enough to run again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude 90kg at 6'4 is NOT heavy at all. I'm 89kg at 6 foot (plus a 42 year old office jockey) and still ran a sub 3 marathon last year. You don't need to shed a single gram just get out there and run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FSEng_Tri wrote:
Unfortunately we havent got the space for a C2.
Regarding heigth I’m 193 cm (6’4”?).

I hope to loose more weight, have just lost 14 kg, but Im in a hope to be light enough to run again.

193 cm and 90 kg gives bmi 24.2, so if you are muscular, you probably don’t have much weight to lose. I find I train, race, and run best around a bmi of 23. Any lower and I get sick/injured more frequently. Higher, and I start running “heavy”. Good luck with the running.
Quote Reply