Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC TM02 - reviews?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have one and would like to give me a review on it or BMC bikes in general? I have a friend that is new to triathlon that is getting one for $1,800 new. I think its a nice deal since he says it goes for around $3,000. Maybe the use the remaining cash for an upgrade in components.

Appreciate it.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 - reviews? [triscooteremu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like a great deal. At $1800, you have $$$ available for things like a powermeter, race wheels, and coaching. I have a Time Machine TM01 and my wife has a Race Machine RM01. Between us we have both owned three Cervelos and, while it's totally subjective, I think we would put both of our BMCs a step ahead in terms of overall quality. I do think that, if you have any warranty issues, having a good dealer available will make a big difference.

As for the TM02, it lacks the integrated stem/fork/brakes, but with a TriRig Omega and a good aerobar you can build a pretty slippery front end. The non-integrated front brake will also be easier to work on. I would recommend an in-line barrel adjuster for the rear brake cable. I also recommend using wide-rimmed wheels, especially if them match your race wheels. The rear brake on the TM02 will work better with a wide rim. Like the TM01, the TM02 is di2-ready and would make a great match with Ultegra di2.

Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 - reviews? [kenpetruzzelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be interested in hearing the set up on your TM01 and the answer to the following:

1. Can you negotiate a slow speed U turn with the fork lock on that bike?
2. Have you had any problems with the brakes, especially are the springs strong enough to always return them to the home position if they are gunked up?
3. Can you fit a Firecrest rim on the bike?

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have a TM02 that I picked up earlier this year.

The frame is very nice - I'd expect nothing less at this price point. It is a far better bike than I am a cyclist. If the bike is the right size then i'd say that your friend has a good deal on his/her hands. The 105 components are perfectly fine and easily replaced. The integrated rear brake has been trouble-free. I have not had any other issues other than disliking the seat and the T4+ aerobars are uncomfortable to me and my wrists. No show stoppers there - just need to swap them out at some point.

BMC makes very nice frames from what I can tell. There was not much info on the TM02 when I bought mine. No regrets so far. Hope that helps.

~~~~~~~
Do or do not there is no try.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 - reviews? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I would be interested in hearing the set up on your TM01 and the answer to the following:

1. Can you negotiate a slow speed U turn with the fork lock on that bike?
2. Have you had any problems with the brakes, especially are the springs strong enough to always return them to the home position if they are gunked up?
3. Can you fit a Firecrest rim on the bike?

Thank you.

1. Yes. I can think of only one instance when I might have hit the turning limit with the fork, but I was going very, very slow and it was a very, very tight turn. This has happened so rarely that I don't think it's really something anyone really needs to worry about. Also, this would not be a problem on the TM02, because the TM02 has a standard fork.

2. The brakes are grippy and finicky, but I haven't had an issue with them returning. Using good brake levers helps. On the TM01, something like the Bontrager XXXL, which has a built-in barrel adjuster, is a must. On the TM02, however, there are more brake lever options, because it has a standard front brake and enough exposed cabling for an in-line barrel adjuster for the rear brake.

3. I use Hed Jet C2s and they work really well. They work much better than my training wheels, which have a more typical rim width. I know people who use Firecrest wheels and I saw someone at Wildflower using the newer Reynolds wheels, which also have a pretty wide rim. I have no idea whether they have to be careful to choose especially thin brake pads or if they need to cut their pads down. If I remember correctly, however, the owner's manual recommends shaving off 1 mm for 808 Firecrest rims. Regardless, if you do get a TM01, I strongly recommend working with a good shop that has a lot of experience wrenching this bike so they are familiar with all of its quirks and potential issues like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't the BMC TT frames have a history of the FD clamp breaking off?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yes, I am looking at the TM01 Medium Short which fits my coordinates with the right cockpit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a TM0-1 and i can tell you that they DO NOT make "u" turns well.

But in a straight line they are like a rocket ship.

Brakes are fine. No issue.

FC wheels will fit but you have to take off the bottom bracket to adjust the rear brake enough to make room/
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 - reviews? [atgnat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But would you buy it again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bro in law has one and loves it.

It's a fucking killer bike. Really nice.

One problem (as mentioned) is that the bike won't U-turn well. There's some front end issues as well in terms of scratches and noise with how it turns.

I don't think - for $1800.00 that your buddy can find a better bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a TM0-2 instead of a TM0-1 because of the adjustability of the front brakes as it relates to wheel width. Also I could have gotten a Computrainer with the difference. Or a power meter. AND the painted frames stand out more in transition.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 - reviews? [atgnat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The amount of fork "arc" is limited on most bikes. Cabling is often the limiter but if you leave the cables long to accomidate the very occasional 180 degree slow speed turn, they are sticking out in an annoying/less aero fashion the rest of the time.

For 95% of the time, the turning amount is a non issue.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 - reviews? [wasfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For $1800 thats a steal. Is it off a website or a lbs? Try to negotiate other deals and if service is included in it or not.
Quote Reply