Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
BMC Speedmachine
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Speedmachine [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bike but it's a shame I'd have to sell a kidney to buy it.

The top 01 LTD is priced at $16,999 / €16,999 and equipped with SRAM Red eTap AXS and Zipp 858 NSW wheels.

The 01 TWO priced at $10,999 / €10,999 has SRAM Force AXS and DT Swiss ARC 1650 wheels.

Finally, the 01 MOD module costing $6,999 / €6,999 includes the frame, fork, cockpit, seatpost, hydration module and rear storage unit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the speedfil type of integrated bottle. Likely much easier to refill on the go, compared to a bladder (Canyon...).
Pretty basic looking aerobars though, and generally ugly bike IMHO....
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Speedmachine [anakinpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You missed the 00 LTD at $23,000. Not /pink. It’s on the website.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 5, 23 5:40
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Speedmachine [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this the game changer to justify the price?

Last edited by: mike s: Sep 5, 23 6:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
this the game changer to justify the price?

All I said was I like the bottle design. Didn't say anything about the new pricing.
That said, is the pricing any different than any other brand??
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Speedmachine [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope you didn't, and I don't know why I replied specifically to you. Does it bother you that I did?
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 5, 23 6:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
nope you didn't, and I don't know why I replied specially to you. Does it bother you that I did?

No, but your reply seemed like you were asking me directly! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GTN's take:

Quote Reply
Re: BMC Speedmachine [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I'm looking at that one being 23,000 CHF (swiss franc) and converting that to USD is $25,857. But either way it's still out of reach for most people.

Anyone here spend that much on a bike? Just curious.

ETA there is a drop down for other currencies and it does show USD at $23K. So maybe something off on the website. But I'm no currency expert :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Sep 5, 23 7:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's what i had to say about this bike (on the front page). there are some very interesting design elements to this:

the seat angle is between 80° and 82.4°. one magazine said this about the geometry of this bike: "BMC says its Impec lab engineers made the Speedmachine’s geometry longer, taller and slacker than the Timemachine’s." i didn't read that in any of the information that i got, but i don't see how this bike is in any way slacker.

the fork length is north of 390mm. that's a bigly fork length. by almost 20mm over a typical road fork. the folks at BMC kept talking about the radical new approach to steering geometry that makes the bike stable, in a yaw in particular. but front end geometrics were noticeably absent and i asked several times and were not given those specs. i measured the head angle from the image in profile you see on the article i wrote and calc'd the head angle at 75°. that might be wrong and it's a horsespit way to calc anything, but i calc'd the seat angle at 80° and nailed it. so, the fork length and head angle are themselves very nonstandard. now i have to find out what's really going on here.

i note that the bike is optimized for 28mm tires. i find this interesting because it's a very expensive bike; it's ridden by pro triathletes; it's ridden by world tour cyclists; and 28mm tires are pretty fat for use in world tour team TTs. this is another data point that we're moving to 28mm. (let the games begin!)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 5, 23 10:02
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Speedmachine [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i note that the bike is optimized for 28mm tires. i find this interesting because it's a very expensive bike; it's ridden by pro triathletes; it's ridden by world tour cyclists; and 28mm tires are pretty fat for use in world tour team TTs. this is another data point that we're moving to 28mm. (let the games begin!)

There is no doubt we are moving to 28mm (or wider). The question is whether it will be mainstream in the pro peloton in 2024 or 2025 and when it will be common in AG athletes. It is inevitable, and when it is mainstream, lower pressures will be used and technologies that take advantage of that will make sense.

Same goes for the new Scott and the new wheels coming out of their subsidiary.

Kind of like going to the Auto show and seeing the 2025 models. Then trying to apply the 2025 technology to my 2022 purchase because the auto magazine said it was the way of the future.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Speedmachine [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:

There is no doubt we are moving to 28mm (or wider). The question is whether it will be mainstream in the pro peloton in 2024 or 2025 and when it will be common in AG athletes. It is inevitable, and when it is mainstream, lower pressures will be used and technologies that take advantage of that will make sense.

Same goes for the new Scott and the new wheels coming out of their subsidiary.

Kind of like going to the Auto show and seeing the 2025 models. Then trying to apply the 2025 technology to my 2022 purchase because the auto magazine said it was the way of the future.

i don't mean to turn this into a hookless thing, but this is the very kind of thing that causes me to say that hookless has a future in road. where i diverged from my wheel maker friends is that they pretty much all insisted their wheels worked for 25mm tires, but i just have never felt this was a good idea. 28mm, that's different. no pressure concerns, no blow-offs (in my experience), better fitment and air-tightness (in my experience), better profile wheel-to-tire. the real battle is in 28mm for TT. i don't see any reason why a tire or a bike maker would find it necessary to optimize their product for 28mm unless they found that this was just a better size.

the funny thing is, we didn't go from skinny to fat. we went from fat to skinny to fat. it was only in the mid early to mid 80s that we entered our skinny tire phase, with 19mm or 20mm panaracers on our skinny rims and that made sense because the rims were skinny. once we recognized that rims could get fatter we began to see that tires could get fatter and that combo of wider rims + wider tires bore fruit. now we're back to the 1970s, with 25mm to 30mm tires on our bikes depending on use case.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i don't mean to turn this into a hookless thing.

Agreed. Let's talk BMC Aero motion :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i know zero about this. the only thing i can tell you is for the past decade we've had the promise of this, and then the football has been pulled back just as we were about to kick it. here you go, from 5 years ago. real time, rider-aboard, aero metrics. how many times have we seen this?

i'll believe it when it ships, and when it incontrovertibly works.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Speedmachine [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I'm looking at that one being 23,000 CHF (swiss franc) and converting that to USD is $25,857. But either way it's still out of reach for most people.

ETA there is a drop down for other currencies and it does show USD at $23K. So maybe something off on the website. But I'm no currency expert :-)

My new Cadex:

Frameset: $7,000
Wheels and tires: $1,700
Drivetrain Components: $2,400
Brake components: $700
Saddle: $200

$12,000 on the dot. I went with Premier Tactical wheels so that's about the only part of the bike not high end in cost. Components are all SRAM Red AXS eTap level.

So how is that BMC double the price of my bike?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i know zero about this. the only thing i can tell you is for the past decade we've had the promise of this, and then the football has been pulled back just as we were about to kick it. here you go, from 5 years ago. real time, rider-aboard, aero metrics. how many times have we seen this?

Like many things, it is made up of 10 things. 3 mature much faster than the other 7. But those 3 do make a contribution to the real world but fall short of the promise of the 10 things.

If we talk about that specific technology, it was used the prep for this years TDF TT win.
IMO, the other 7 are fixable, but that doesn't mean you can't use the 3 today.
Last edited by: marcag: Sep 5, 23 10:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Like many things, it is made up of 10 things. 3 mature much faster than the other 7. But those 3 do make a contribution to the real world but fall short of the promise of the 10 things.

If we talk about that specific technology, it was used the prep for this years TDF TT win.
IMO, the other 7 are fixable, but that doesn't mean you can't use the 3 today.

when you say "that specific technology" what do you mean? aero sensors? sure. i'm in. but are we talking aero sensors that provide real time rider aboard, rider usable, metrics? because that's kind of the sense i got about the new BMC device.

i know you've worked with this, with pro cycling teams, so you're in a much better place to discuss this than i am. please educate me on this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
when you say "that specific technology" what do you mean? aero sensors? sure. i'm in.

That specific technology, I meant Velosense, the article you quoted.
It split into two companies, one used by JV and definitely used in the TT preparation

I would say they didn't crack all the things they wanted to, I have questions on their approach, but they do provide value to JV.

As a matter of fact they added another sensor very similar to what "I think" BMC is trying to do. IMO it's not the best way to go, but I can see how it help with some optimization.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:

when you say "that specific technology" what do you mean? aero sensors? sure. i'm in.

It split into two companies, one used by JV and definitely used in the TT preparation

I would say they didn't crack all the things they wanted to, I have questions on their approach, but they do provide value to JV.

As a matter of fact they added another sensor very similar to what "I think" BMC is trying to do. IMO it's not the best way to go, but I can see how it help with some optimization.

i could see how the original velosense could help with optimization. tell me when it's real. i'm very interested. when it's real. i don't know anything about vaughters' use of that tech (if that's who you're referring to), but i don't get the sense that this is his area of expertise. there might be a dozen people in the world whose judgment on this i trust. if xavier disley said, "yeah! i use this thing all day long!" then that counts. i have no feeling or beef or love or hate for vaughters; i just don't see how he would know the difference between this and a divining rod for aiding in aero positioning.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i could see how the original velosense could help with optimization. tell me when it's real. i'm very interested. when it's real. i don't know anything about vaughters' use of that tech (if that's who you're referring to), but i don't get the sense that this is his area of expertise. there might be a dozen people in the world whose judgment on this i trust. if xavier disley said, "yeah! i use this thing all day long!" then that counts. i have no feeling or beef or love or hate for vaughters;

JV is Jumbo Visma. I think they know a thing or two about what works for them.

Slowman wrote:
i just don't see how he would know the difference between this and a divining rod for aiding in aero positioning.

To quote a wise man

"says the folks who don't own these devices, have never used them, mounted them on a bike, ridden with one"

sorry, I couldn't resist :-)
Last edited by: marcag: Sep 5, 23 12:30
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Speedmachine [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 23,000 CHF is a limited edition run of 50 bikes that come with the aero sensor. the aero sensor isn't mentioned on the other models.

The Speedmachine 00, limited to just 50 bikes, comes equipped with ZIPP 858 NSW, Pirelli P-Zero Race 28mm tires, and the SRAM RED eTap AXS Groupset combined with a powermeter. Each owner is granted an exclusive BMC Aero Motion device, a premium travel case, and elite access via the BMC Platinum Owners Circle Membership.

The GMAN wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

My new Cadex:

Frameset: $7,000
Wheels and tires: $1,700
Drivetrain Components: $2,400
Brake components: $700
Saddle: $200

$12,000 on the dot. I went with Premier Tactical wheels so that's about the only part of the bike not high end in cost. Components are all SRAM Red AXS eTap level.

So how is that BMC double the price of my bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i could see how the original velosense could help with optimization. tell me when it's real. i'm very interested. when it's real. i don't know anything about vaughters' use of that tech (if that's who you're referring to), but i don't get the sense that this is his area of expertise. there might be a dozen people in the world whose judgment on this i trust. if xavier disley said, "yeah! i use this thing all day long!" then that counts. i have no feeling or beef or love or hate for vaughters;

Slowman wrote:
i just don't see how he would know the difference between this and a divining rod for aiding in aero positioning.

To quote a wise man

"says the folks who don't own these devices, have never used them, mounted them on a bike, ridden with one"

ah. i didn't run through all my JV possibilities.

they're for sure on top of the TT game. but the same thing applies. i'd like a little more meat on that knowledge bone before i stipulate to the utility of an onboard real-time feedback aero sensor. i'd love to be true. but i've wanted it to be true the other 4 or 5 times.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Slowman wrote:

To quote a wise man

ah. i didn't run through all my JV possibilities.

they're for sure on top of the TT game. but the same thing applies. i'd like a little more meat on that knowledge bone before i stipulate to the utility of an onboard real-time feedback aero sensor. i'd love to be true. but i've wanted it to be true the other 4 or 5 times.

I doubt it's an aero sensor, hence why I would have liked the people writing the articles to dive into it.
All media seemed to have not touched it.

I suspect it's monitoring position of the rider, possibly more things. That is a different set of problems than aero sensors face.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Speedmachine [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The $23000 is a limited edition of 50 with aero sensors, carry case and BMC Platinum Club Membership.
The NON Limited Edition model comes in at $16999.
And the frameset at around what you payed for the Cadex at $6999.
Quote Reply

Prev Next