Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC / Time and Trek timetrial bike design
Quote | Reply
I went along to the Bike show in london and I noticed that the top top designs on the BMC, New Trek and the Time timetrial bike are quite simalar - deeper at the headset end and getting smaller as they get near the seat tube. Does this show that they are all products of wind tunnel testing and this is a successful shape or is it more for front end rigidity (or because it looks good?). Its quite interesting as it is quite different to some other wind tunnel designed bikes (if these bikes are indeed windtunnel designed) like the Cervelo's. I wonder how the BMC would compaire to the Cervelo P3C aerodynamically (certainly not very well for value for money). You would think that eventually "the most aerodynamic" shape for a bike frame (whilst fitting in to UCI regs) will be found leading to all bike looking vertually the same .
Quote Reply
Re: BMC / Time and Trek timetrial bike design [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That mght be true if you didn't have to accomadate a rider atop the bike.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably more than one way to accomplish the same goal. The design of the rear of the bike, porbably has a lot to do with the design at the front. As I understand it, it is not so much how the air/wind hits the bike, but more how it comes of the bike.

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since a bike should ultimately be tested with a rider on it, without using the same test rider the result would be different for every type of rider (cadence, movement, anthropometrics).
Quote Reply
Re: BMC / Time and Trek timetrial bike design [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think the optimum bike shape would change depending on thinks like rider size? Looking at the BMC - say this was designed around Tyler Hamilton - I might be best for small riders, where a bike designed around a taller rider might feature a completely different design?

So for the consumer they would really need to know what designs best suits there body size in terms of fit and aerodynamics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you think the optimum bike shape would change depending on thinks like rider size? Looking at the BMC - say this was designed around Tyler Hamilton - I might be best for small riders, where a bike designed around a taller rider might feature a completely different design?
Absolutely. The design principles (aero fundamentals etc) would be the same but the stiffness, material selection and geometry taking into account moving limbs etc would vary a design subtley from person to person. Obviously we are not in that kind of position. Put me on a bike and it's design requirments would be completely different to someone like Julianinengland for example
Quote Reply