Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series
Quote | Reply
This had me completely puzzled for a while.

Brand new un-used cassette and chain, Dura Ace 9100 series. Perfectly tuned di2 bike shifts and rides beautifully on the stand. Put it on the rollers/ and outside and awful awful grinding noise in the highest 4 (4 smallest cogs) on big and little ring.

The chain is the new shimano dura ace chain with the master link. Switched to a different chain bought late summer with no master link, the noise is completely gone. Very strange.

Some points....

Chain is well lubricated, and ran it through the various gears for quite a while.
Chain length is correct (same as previous chain)
Bike is tuned perfectly all other cassettes and chains I have work flawlessly
Previlious Dura Ace 9000 series chain and matching cassette also work perfect no grinding noise.

Is there some sort of manufacturing defect with the new Dura Ace / Ultegra chains or same series cassettes? I noticed someone else online has this issue but it wasn’t resolved.
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which model chain were you trying to use, the CN-HG901? Some of the Shimano chains are directional and the side that is engraved with the model of the chain should be facing to the outside. I believe the HG901 chain is directional. Not sure if that was the issue but worth checking out.

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [BrianJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there. Yes this chain is certainly directional and the logos are to the outside of the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HGX11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not heard of any manufacturing issues with Dura-Ace 9100 but anything is possible. Assuming everything was installed correctly it is hard to know what was going on without seeing it.

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is absolutely driving me nuts. I just discovered the same combo ia also grinding on my other bike. HG-901 chain and new CS9100 cassette. Seems like the problem is the cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dura-Ace cassettes sound and shift like junk.
Try an 8000- It will quiet your bike down.
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the cs8000 and 9100 are the two new cassettes where I am getting the popping noises no matter which series chains I use new or old. I left the new chains on, put lightly or moderately used 9000 series cassettes and the popping/grinding stops.

I should have noted it only happens under load. On the maintenance stand it is silent and I can spin all gear combos perfectly backwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What wheel? Freehub need some love? Or is it multiple wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multiple wheels. ENVE 4.5s, mavic Cosmic Carbon Pro UST, Roval CLX40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm? Tough one.
Hanger aligned?
Hanger bolted tight to frame?
Rear derailleur tight in the hanger?
B-tension perfect?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to ask, but are you sure the 4 smallest cogs are mounted in the right direction/side and not on backwards?
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With shimano 11s, it's not possible to put the cogs on backwards...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weird that a different chain works fine.

I know the new Shimano master links require a lot of force to set. Did you check it to make sure it is fully locked in? I'm not sure why this would affect just the little cogs, unless the semi-frozen link is dragging on the pulled in tight derailler cage.

Also, I'd pull off the cassette and make sure all the spacers are in there correctly and that the whole thing is nice and tight and seated flat. There is a blow up pic of the cassette here: https://bike.shimano.com/...14014_1_750_750.jpeg or on this page: https://bike.shimano.com/...-r9100/CS-R9100.html

...again, no idea why it'd work on one chain and not the other, but easy to check.

Finally, have a look all over. Is there any finish rubbed off any components or is definitely only from the chain? Can you put it on a trainer and get enough power to make the noise? Someone can help pinpoint the piece that is being noisy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is you are missing a spacer (maybe 10/11ring) on the inside. When on the trainer there is enough compression to keep it from moving?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you taken the derailleur pulleys apart to see if anything on the inside is catching/rubbing? If you have DuraAce, the pulleys are really easy to take completely apart, clean and lube.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not missing a spacer lads the cassette is installed correctly and is not loose. The master link is set as it should be but I will note the grinding is with my other chains as well it is just worse with the new Dura ace 11 speed one.

I put the new cassette on the kickr and it is even worse. Doesn’t matter which of my 4 Dura Ace 11 speed bikes I try it with. I’m not about to take all my rear derailers apart they are fine.

I’ve been wrenching for about 15 years, but perhaps I will take it into the shop for a fresh set of eyes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow I am going to try a slightly shorter chain mine are all about a link too long. Maybe this particular cassette design close tolerances needs the chain length to be perfect. If I solve this problem I will let you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Have you played with the angle of this bolt? I was getting a horrible grinding noise in my lowest gear, and it turned out to be that the setting of it was putting the edge of the pulley too close to the cassette.

Ian
Last edited by: sneeuwaap: Feb 3, 19 18:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely check derailleur hanger first, making sure it's not bent.
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:

Have you played with the angle of this bolt? I was getting a horrible grinding noise in my lowest gear, and it turned out to be that the setting of it was putting the edge of the pulley too close to the cassette.

Ian

That is not an adjustment point, it is supposed to rest against the traditional hanger stop.
Some people will deliberately rotate this backwards to allow easier rear wheel removal, but that is contrary to Shimano design.
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I've seen this before several times.

Dura-Ace is very chain sensitive and often won't ever work properly without an official Shimano Dura-Ace chain. It's one of the only Shimano Groupsets that doesn't like any other Shimano series chain.

I suspect Dura-Ace lifting ramps of the cassette and chainrings are ever so slightly different to Ultegra etc. and the Dura-Ace chain has slightly different machined plates to match the ramps.

My advice would be to buy a Dura-Ace chain.

Pat.
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [Avoneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avoneer wrote:
Hi,

Pat.

See the OP's third sentence.
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
I would definitely check derailleur hanger first, making sure it's not bent.

If the OP has a replaceable derailleur hanger, he should also make sure the bolt or bolts that hold it in place are tight. My wife was having a rattling in the smallest cog and it turned out the hanger bolt was loose.
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Avoneer wrote:
Hi,

Pat.

See the OP's third sentence.

Who then says it's a HGX11 which is not a Dura-Ace chain!
Quote Reply

Prev Next