Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Austin Rattler 2023, share your past year(s) experiences
Quote | Reply
My wife is hoping to place well in the Austin Rattler MTB Nov 2023 as a qualifier for Leadville 100 MTB in summer 2024.

Any boots on the ground info about how it's all laid out or how it tends to play out on race day would be great. Wondering if because of the number of registrants if corrals are any different than the typical approach at a competitive crit? Any intel is helpful. We haven't been there before. We've never done a big MTB race. Only big gravel events just for fun. Placement and performance wasn't a concern.

Anyone had good or bad experiences at Austin Rattler specifically with intel on corral show-up time and the place you ended up starting in the race? Any early bottlenecks we should be aware of? Make or break points each lap, especially early race? Just looking to avoid unnecessary pain and position well, efficiently.

Any other Austin Rattler experience tidbits worth sharing? Details on aid station congestion etc very much welcome. :)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Rattler 2023, share your past year(s) experiences [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race back in 2017 (I think) so going from some older memories.

Not sure if the course has changed or not but it was really fun, good course, minimal climbing, very fast. Not a huge amount of elevation gain (especially compared to Leadville) and gain is spread out over the course.

I made the mistake of lining up way too late and spent the first lap (of three) in slower traffic/burning matches to pass. I recall the first 30 mins or so had very few spots to pass, and a couple of short climbs that gave some people trouble (maybe just due to congestion). Once through the first lap it spreads out and was good after that.

So if she is trying to qualify best to get a good start position. When I raced it was a first-come-first-served starting position. Not sure if that has changed or not. The aid station was easy/good access (although I was solo and did not have much). Make sure you are good with gearing as probably don't need a small ring up front (assuming 1x11 or 1x12).

In short, start at the front (or close to your competitors) and stay there ;)

Good luck.
Last edited by: JStirfry: Oct 23, 23 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Rattler 2023, share your past year(s) experiences [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2018 and got my ticket to Leadville in the Gold Corral (not to be confused with the buffet). Finished 8th overall, 3rd in my AG. I wasn't that good of a mountain biker, but most of it was muddy double track that year and I guess I was fairly good at that. The mud caused them to adjust the corral times for Leadville, which is what got me into Gold. Without adjusting the times i think i would have been silver.

Back then it was in Smithville, TX at Rocky Hill Ranch. That's southeast of Austin by quite a bit. The course is northwest of Austin now.

On the course i did, it started with a longish climb. Tristan Ulh dropped us all early. I settled into my groove and rode with two other guys for most of the day. I felt like we were way back, but the 40-49 guy that was with me took off on the last lap and finished 2nd. He had way more in the tank than i did. He put 9 minutes on me in the last lap and must have passed 5 people.

Since the course is totally different, i don't have specific beta. But I'd suggest pacing wisely, fueling well (you've got that dialed), and setting up a bike for climbing and cornering vs descending. If it's similar to the course i raced, a lightweight full suspension XC bike with fast rolling tires is ideal. The course i raced had no need for a dropper post or anything more than 100mm suspension, but this new course could be different.

For pacing, I'd look at finish times for the leadville silver corral for her age group and set those as a baseline for lap times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having done some MTB and XTERRA races there, I recall the loop is 80% fireroad and 20% singletrack so is more of a strong rider's course rather than a technical rider's type. One other data point, much cacti so don't fall!

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply