Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: August Fish Thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
21 miles of swimming and running in a wetsuit!!!! I think I would lose 10-12lbs if I did that. Good luck with the race your swimming looks ready
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went 3000 this am including

6 100s kick
4 150 pull
12 50s stroke/free

Nothing particularly fast except the kick I broke it into 50 moderate and 2 25s hard and was holding 21/22s on the hard ones
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
500 on 730
36 x 100 on 1:25 (this felt aerobic, I started swimming 1:18s then got lazy and was doing 1:20s)
100 kick c/d

4200 yds total

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally joined the masters swim team near me a while back. After a dozen or so sessions one thing is apparent. My stroke is pretty solid, but my kick is God awful and really slowing me down. I'm 30+ sec faster per 100 with a pull buoy between my ankles. I'm probably going to pay for some one on one sessions with the swim coach.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2500scy
80 x 25 on :20 rest
18 x 25 on :20 rest with fins and dragsox
1 x 50 Just felt like doing a flip turn since I haven't in awhile
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still gaining fitness, wanted to plug this set: "doubles."

Any set of 10 (or 20, or...) in IM order with a Free on each end:

Free
Fly
Back
Breast
Free
Fly
Back
Breast
Free
Free

A nice change of pace set for me. I do it as 50s on a uniform interval.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duganator99 wrote:
Finally joined the masters swim team near me a while back. After a dozen or so sessions one thing is apparent. My stroke is pretty solid, but my kick is God awful and really slowing me down. I'm 30+ sec faster per 100 with a pull buoy between my ankles. I'm probably going to pay for some one on one sessions with the swim coach.

Was out of the water for 14 months last year and found the same thing when I got back in the water. As my body position and kick have improved, so have my times, somewhat dramatically. I got some good advice on here from ericmulk and tallswimmer.

I could be wrong as I am relatively new to swimming, but I suspect that fixing body position, kick timing and ankle flexibility would fix 75% (or more) of slow (tri) swimmers. I pass people every day at my easy swim pace and inevitably they are working harder than I am and dragging their legs. Kind of makes me sad to see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
duganator99 wrote:

Was out of the water for 14 months last year and found the same thing when I got back in the water. As my body position and kick have improved, so have my times, somewhat dramatically. I got some good advice on here from ericmulk and tallswimmer.

I could be wrong as I am relatively new to swimming, but I suspect that fixing body position, kick timing and ankle flexibility would fix 75% (or more) of slow (tri) swimmers. I pass people every day at my easy swim pace and inevitably they are working harder than I am and dragging their legs. Kind of makes me sad to see.
Yeah I'm def doing something wrong, I know I'm separating my legs on my stroke but I'm not sure how to fix that.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing everyone is different, if you have a good relationship with a coach, the lessons are a good start. The good news is, you're like a cyclist with a terrible cda but good power. Once you fix the body position, you will be good to go.

Fixing your scissor probably relates to improving your balance when breathing, but I don't teach so I don't want to give bad advice. I can only share what I did/am doing to improve my body position.

Let us know how it goes with the coach and don't give up until you get this fixed. I was not sure it was fixable, but it is and it is easier to fix than one might think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m swimming Balboa to Newport pier every Saturday now. Last week was very challenging with chop, against current, cold water and then fog.
This morning was nearly opposite and I was 8 minutes faster, holding a 1:17 pace for 3500 yards.
Next weekend is Naples Island swim in Long Beach. It’s a nearly 3 mile swim in flat water (could be nasty water, being a harbor). I hope to do well.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to know what the typical warm up is prior to doing sets.

The first two 500s were a warmup for me. I usually do 2 x 500, or 5 x 100 and then a couple 100s fast. Sometimes I'll do 3-5 x 200.

In general for me I do 500-1000 of easy swimming, then I ease into fast stuff by descending stuff. A better idea might be 300-400 easy, a couple fast 50s, or something

I seem to have gravitated to 800m easy (typically just under 16min), then a bunch of 25m (typically 8x, on 1min) for a warmup. The 25m start at just a touch faster than the 800m, then get gradually faster. The last one is typically 90%+ effort.

Thoughts?

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I got the second shot for Covid on Tuesday, then spent the next 2 days ON MY ASS. Just when I started to feel awake, the lymph gland in my left armpit ballooned. It would have been hard to swim with that.

Yesterday: 800m (15:51) + 8x25m on 1min (25ish to 17.5ish) + 50m (37.0) + 800m (15:37). Still feel like I'm on Jupiter (gravity-wise). A hard (but deeply flawed) 50m.
Today: 800m (15:36) + 8x25m on 1min (26ish to 18.5ish) + 100m (1:23.0) + 800m (15:14). Felt much better than yesterday. 100m was "hard tempo".

FT feel increasingly better. I made a conscious effort to go EASY on these 800m WU/CD. I was often doing 14:15 CD and gasping, previously. I want these swims to feel therapeutic. When they feel beautiful and smooth, my form and FT are good, and I get much more out of the sessions.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Last edited by: Skuj: Aug 8, 21 15:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'd like to know what the typical warm up is prior to doing sets.

The first two 500s were a warmup for me. I usually do 2 x 500, or 5 x 100 and then a couple 100s fast. Sometimes I'll do 3-5 x 200.

In general for me I do 500-1000 of easy swimming, then I ease into fast stuff by descending stuff. A better idea might be 300-400 easy, a couple fast 50s, or something
I seem to have gravitated to 800m easy (typically just under 16min), then a bunch of 25m (typically 8x, on 1min) for a warmup. The 25m start at just a touch faster than the 800m, then get gradually faster. The last one is typically 90%+ effort.

Thoughts?

I think that's a great warmup!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rest day yesterday

2000 yd swim + 40 min water run today
felt that post rest day cobwebby feeling

500 on 730 + 5 x 100 on 1:30
5 x [50 kick + 100 fast] 1:16, 1:16, 1:16, 1:15, 1:15
50 kick
200 easy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Birthday.

SCY

50 x 50s on :50
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck in the 3 miler this weekend, have done it a few times over the years and really love that circular course. I got back from lifeguard nationals this Sunday, and apparently virtually everyone had flight issues getting to Texas. Heard Spirit just quit flying, American was still having pilot and plane issues, and United was short flight attendants. Anyone flying should be prepared, I was happy to just get delayed and miss my connection(cost me just 5 hours) after listening to some real nightmares..

So ended up doing 7 individual events and was fortunate to win them all in my AG. Blew my calf out in the 2nd to last race, the 2k beach run, and was able to tape it up and limp through the 3 runs of the last event, the international ironman. Super fun to be back in the ocean, even though it was 78 degrees!! Got super sore because I got drafted to row in a dory, then had two surf ski and 2 paddle board races too. So used a lots of muscles that have been dormant for a long time, but still had some memory there to get it done, and swim fitness of course..

S0 7 individual events were 2k run, swim, paddle, surf ski, international ironman, run/swim/run, and beach flags. One team event I raced down an AG in with someone that just really wanted to row, was the dory race, and we got the silver..

Got back in the lower pool today just thinking I would work some of this extreme soreness out, and either must still have a taper effect going, or just still strong after all this racine in the past two weeks:

4x 500swim/200IM kick@4;00-- Swim@7;30(7;04)buoy@7;30(6;43) 2xpulls@7;00(6;12/6;03) kicks(3;44/3;40/3;48/3;49)
10x50, odds buoy@1;00/evens fly@1;10- buoys(37/38") fly(43/42/42/43/37) 200IM kick(3;49)
3500SCY
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like an exhausting events schedule Monty. I swam saturday/Sunday along with some bike / runs.

Just cruising through summer. Going to puerto Vallarta Saturday bad timing with the covid coming on strong. I don’t know if I’ll follow through now, gf has a parent deathly ill overseas. My gym pool is replacing the heater and will be unheated for 3 weeks but they plan to keep it open. I don’t know the temp of an unheated pool in SoCal in august I think it will still be warm enough
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swam today!!! 3400 mix of stuff.

havent swum (laps) since "racing" the 50 in greensboro.. ha

Lungs are still heavy from my infection (NOT covid) and it was a typical "welcome back to swimming" type of swim.

Some of the yards felt amazing and others felt totally awkward.

Health is slowly returning and hoping a couple easy weeks will see me get back to some more serious type efforts. For now, its nice not to cough all day and feel like death warmed over....

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000scy
120 x 25 on :19 rest
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Happy Birthday.

SCY

50 x 50s on :50

your bday? Happy bday!

4000 ish this AM

5 x 100 on 1:30
5 x 200 on 3:00
12 x [50 kick + 100 fast] 1:13-1:14
goofed off for a bit to cool down

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome back daved. Yikes, you had a rough ride.

Tri2gohard wrote:
3000scy 120 x 25 on :19 rest

I am very intrigued by this (and so many other sessions posted here).

So, this is basically 3000scy, with very small breaks every 25y, right? I imagine that the pace was harder than easy, but still "aerobic"?

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3300 SCY. Felt surprisingly good after a fast BRIC session on Sunday. Getting my catch out a little further and smoother. 50’s on 60 is a new “go to set” to feel fast.

400 (5:33)/200K/400P(5:15)
8x100IM on 1:45 (1:28-30)
8x100P on 1:30 (1:15-7)
8x50 on 60 (37-9)
8x25 on 30 (18-19)
100 easy

Humbled by some of the exploits on this thread (looking at you Monty, and others). It’s an inspiration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you have the description right. The actual pace is very much like what my aerobic pace would be. Trouble is that the delta between my short swims and long ones was so big, it wasn't based on physical endurance alone. My ability to remain focused would break down along with my technique. For this reason, by forcing myself to consistently hold hr, sr and spl consistent, the hope is that I can develop good pacing over longer distances. My habits have improved, but still, my catch gets lazy(especially my left arm), my kick gets lazy(especially my right foot), my core is less engaged. This takes quite a bit of focus, much more so than erg mode on my bike or using the treadmill where I have to keep running or I fall off the back of it. This deliberate swim practice reminds me a lot of learning to golf.

At this point every week, I am changing something small. Either rest interval, sr or rep distance. Going to be a long process, but hopefully 10k/week will be enough to get it done. I'm enjoying the process, though I miss flip turns.
Last edited by: Tri2gohard: Aug 10, 21 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2000scy
80 x 25 on :19 rest
Still not bored
Quote Reply

Prev Next