Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Auburn Triathon cancelled for 2019
Quote | Reply
Another great independent race goes down.

The once named "World's Toughest Half" although it had morphed into a still kinda tough half has been cancelled for 2019.

From the race promoters
"Tahoe Peak Endurance (AKA Colleen and Joe), want to inform you that due to changes in our current work responsibilities we will be unable to promote the event and will be taking a hiatus for 2019 season."
Quote Reply
Re: Auburn Triathon cancelled for 2019 [dwreal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my backyard race. Gone.

Not so many people want a tough race anymore. I worry about Wildflower.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Auburn Triathon cancelled for 2019 [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too worry about Wildflower, but more in the sense is the lake going to be there again. IT was great last year with a full one, think they had 5k+ folks, that is a healthy first year back. But then I went back for a camping trip in July, and it was already down back at the bottom of the boat ramp, very hot water, and some alge bloom going on. It was not going the right direction, but of course there was no more water to pour into it.

Hopefully we get some rain this season and it tops off again, sorry to hear about Auburn. I was there at the first one when Brad Kerns brought it back, and come to think of it, I was at one of the very editions of the original words toughest in Tahoe. Perhaps someone else will pick up the baton and run with it, at least until we all learn to appreciate tough courses(I do!!)
Quote Reply
Re: Auburn Triathon cancelled for 2019 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in the email they sent out. They did ask if anybody was interested in taking on the event. So, they are open to that. but, I suspect the number of participants is the big roadblock. How do you get people to sign up??? Unless you have "ironman" in your name. I wonder sometimes.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was the most challenging tri I've ever done merely because of all of the climbing on both the bike and the run! The degree of difficulty was up there with any full distance IM I've done including IMLT. The difference for me was that Auburn was an early season race. It's really too bad to see the local tri's disappear. It seems like Ultra Marathons are picking up more steam. Perhaps it's because there isn't one brand coming in and saturating the market.
Quote Reply
Re: Auburn Triathon cancelled for 2019 [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
in the email they sent out. They did ask if anybody was interested in taking on the event. So, they are open to that. but, I suspect the number of participants is the big roadblock. How do you get people to sign up??? Unless you have "ironman" in your name. I wonder sometimes.

H2O, where are you????? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Auburn Triathon cancelled for 2019 [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was the toughest race I’ve done. I hated that sh1tty out and back towards the end of the bike. That part of the road was so rough things were flying off my bike.

I swear people cut that part of the course.

Anyways sad to hear.

Loved the cheap finisher medal.
In Reply To:
“Are you tough enough?!”

Yes you are ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
H2O, where are you????? ;-)

That is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the title.

Duffy was allowed back to the LR. Isn't it about time that Dave was allowed back?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Auburn Triathon cancelled for 2019 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there for the last "tough" one. Was 3rd OA out of the swim. Thought it was awesome, except for being misdirected on the bike course and taking a DQ. It's run much like the LA Tri Series at Bonelli Park; family run, and some funkiness about the whole thing, like 'do we turn here?' nobody there, no arrows.. anything, etc. Anyway, after that fiasco, I wanted to do it again, but then found out they were gonna dumb down the bike route and make it easier. Hence, why I said 'the last tough one'... UGHH! I went back up there at New Years for the Resolution Run half marathon on essentially the same run course, and won my AG. I love the area and am saddened the race is not happening.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this race over a decade ago. It was wonderful. I camped 10 feet from my transition spot. The bike wasn't that hard but I recall the run being nasty and hot.

Race directing is a tough gig.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Such a bummer.

One of the best races out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was 2008. Temperature was 100 in Auburn in May we hadn't had many warm days that year to heat acclimatize. Brad Kearns had changed the run course the day before and cancelled running down into the canyon. It was still the hardest race I've ever done. Just slogging between aid stations and getting iced down. Athletes were jumping into the water canal. Great times!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you guys fill me in why the changed the course and lost the Toughest half " name?

Did they flatten the bike course and run course?
Quote Reply
Re: Auburn Triathon cancelled for 2019 [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The course had changed over the years a few times.

Last year they completely changed the bike and run courses. The bike cut out about half of the climbing. Still 3000 ft. of gain.
The run became 2 loops through residential streets without dropping down into the American river canyon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3K isnt tough at all.

OMG that race is much easier lol
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Auburn Triathon cancelled for 2019 [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Reactions wrote:
3K isnt tough at all.

OMG that race is much easier lol

WAS much easier. Past Tense.

The race still goes on in my heart.

So any guesses on the next local race we lose?

Donner lake? Folsom tri?
Quote Reply
Re: Auburn Triathon cancelled for 2019 [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was asking myself the same question about Folsom or Donner but didn't want to jinx it. On a separate note, I received a survey regarding Auburn. Seems they are looking for an indication of interest and considering the old course.

https://docs.google.com/...8BAZxT6QFAA/viewform
Quote Reply