Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Attacked by 3 dogs while riding...
Quote | Reply
Anyone else been attacked by multiple dogs? Know a good defense?

Two Bull Terriers and a mutt. I feel fortunate that a neighbor ran over yelling and throwing rocks and the dogs dispersed. It wasn't going well for me at the time.

I ride by this house a lot as it's the only decent route south out of town. Usually there are no dogs loose. Occasionally the mutt would run out but I always managed to elude him. Once earlier this spring I'd encountered these same three dogs. I'd never seen the Terriers before and they were not fully grown. They saw me coming and I couldn't outrun them, so I stopped and and got off my bike, keeping it between me and the dogs. They barked and snarled but seemed to lose motivation when I wasn't moving (typical of pretty much every dog encounter I've had). When they'd calmed down I walked across the street to the house they'd come from and talked to the owner, letting him know his dogs were loose. He apologized profusely and said they are supposed to be locked up but sometimes they get out, etc. No big deal.

Last Sunday (a week ago) it was sort of a repeat, or so I thought at first. I got off my bike, but this time they immediately surrounded me. I wasn't too concerned yet, but I moved farther off the road (away from the house). Then the mutt lunged and snapped at me, and I dropped the bike and clubbed him over the head with my fist. A second later one of the terriers bit me on the left calf. Now I'm really pissed, staggering around in the ditch trying to keep them at bay. Not doing a very good job either. I couldn't keep track of them all at once, and while I was paying attention to the last one that bit me, another would sneak in from behind. I got in a good kick to the head on one of the terriers, but this didn't seem to phase him at all. I suddenly realized that I was pretty much defenseless, and if something didn't happen soon to change the situation it was going to get a lot worse for me. Luckily this was in town on a fairly busy road, not in the boonies. A guy pulled up on his motorcycle and honked his horn, but the dogs ignored him. When the neighbor came to my rescue the dogs took off.

He also invited me to his house to clean and patch my wounds and wait for the cops (actually Animal Control) to show up. I was bitten twice on the left calf, once on the right, and on the right forearm. The forearm swelled up over double its normal size, but the left calf is what really bothered me (still). The worst bite was a well defined fang puncture on the meaty part of the calf. According to AC they'd had no prior calls on this guy (though the neighbors claim he knows of at least two other people who've been bitten), so it's just a warning and check for rabies shots, etc.

Anyway... I've been thinking about the best defense against this sort of thing, and not getting any great ideas. I'm ok with using lethal force, but I don't have a gun and don't really want to be packing on a ride anyway. I ordered some Sabre Pepper Gel, which should be here today. I figure that's better than nothing. If I can get the winter glove off my hand and aim it properly it would probably work.

The "adventure" reminded me of this video:

Quote Reply
Re: Attacked by 3 dogs while riding... [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't have a lot of good ideas, but maybe they're lurkers, and they've taken issue with your ST handle? Change it to something else, ride by again, see if the same thing happens? Then reevaluate... /p

Happy to hear you're not seriously hurt
Last edited by: Andres: Nov 4, 19 9:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least you dealt with what seems like a normal person in the dogs' owner. When I lived in the South, I used pepper spray on a pack of dogs that attacked me, and then had the owner chase me down in his pickup and threaten to shoot me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d keep contacting animal control each time you gave an encounter. Document any bites/scratches/etc with pictures. In the mean time, I’d keep a bottle of pepper spray in your jersey pocket.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Attacked by 3 dogs while riding... [Hokiebird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hokiebird wrote:
At least you dealt with what seems like a normal person in the dogs' owner. When I lived in the South, I used pepper spray on a pack of dogs that attacked me, and then had the owner chase me down in his pickup and threaten to shoot me.

This^ I peppered sprayed two pit bulls and the owner yells at me. I called animal control but they did nothing. Indiana law is that dogs are not vicious until they are, but once they bite you can take legal action. After the explaining to the dog’s owner to control his dog in the future or face legal action he told me to ‘f- off’. I bought some stronger spray.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW
so sorry to hear what happened to you buddy

I wish I had some good advice. I biked in the country for decades and any dog attacks I was already almost last the house so it was easy to get away

Please push the issue with the police and AC. Could you imagine what would have happened if it was a child instead of you?

Heal fast and hope you get this resolved

Personally I would contact a lawyer. That may be enough to get the town to act and/or the owner figure it’s cheaper to get rid of the dogs
Quote Reply
Re: Attacked by 3 dogs while riding... [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I see any of those dogs loose again I'm definitely doing something besides eluding them.

I've probably ridden close to 200k miles on the road. I've encountered countless dogs. This is the first time I've been bitten, and this was a lot more than a bite. If someone hadn't helped I think there's a good chance they would have killed me. At least I don't know what would have made them stop. Boredom?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sucks. Sorry to hear. I've read before that bullhorn/airguns usually work also. Maybe mount one on the handlebars. Only issue is if you accidentally hit it while in a tight 2 wide pace line!
Quote Reply
Re: Attacked by 3 dogs while riding... [lschaan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogs need to be put down... plain and simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Attacked by 3 dogs while riding... [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
dogs need to be put down... plain and simple.

Just imagine how easy it would be for them to kill a child cycling past. Obviously the owner didn't learn his lesson the first time the dogs went after rruff. I'm all for "one and done" when it comes to dog bites. The first time "Old Shep" nipped my then 5 year old uncle, my grandfather took Shep out behind the barn with the shotgun and that was that.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
If I see any of those dogs loose again I'm definitely doing something besides eluding them.

I've probably ridden close to 200k miles on the road. I've encountered countless dogs. This is the first time I've been bitten, and this was a lot more than a bite. If someone hadn't helped I think there's a good chance they would have killed me. At least I don't know what would have made them stop. Boredom?

Wow so sorry to hear about this! That is awful!

I have had so many dog issues while running over the years. I used to carry an expandable baton that I purchased at a gun shop years ago when redneck dogs were more of a problem. It worked well with two dogs but might not be enough with more dogs coming at you. Pepper spray didn't work for some dogs which I learned from experience. If I hadn't gotten picked up by a neighbor I would have been bitten. My last incident was being chased by a pit bull into the road and I almost got hit by the UPS truck. The redneck white trash who owned the dog actually yelled at me for running on a public road. I called animal control after I stopped by the local police and filed a report. Animal control talked to the redneck and after that the dog hasn't been in the yard or he's been tied up.

If this was me I would do every thing I could to legally get these dogs put down! And this is coming from an animal lover (vegan). Any domestic dog that could kill someone is too dangerous. These dogs need to be put down before anyone else is hurt or killed. Imagine if these dogs harmed a child! On the other hand: My worry is if you live in the South of the US, rural people might do something terrible to get even with you. I've read about some horrific stories of revenge in similar situations.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: 70Trigirl: Nov 4, 19 10:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I ordered some Sabre Pepper Gel, which should be here today. I figure that's better than nothing. If I can get the winter glove off my hand and aim it properly it would probably work.

Just a note about Sabre. It is some hot spray, but hit and miss on the container itself. I have ordered and used 3 so far. The second one barely had a stream coming out brand new. The other ones had just enough pressure for a couple uses. I just ordered and carried Halt this past weekend, but did not like the larger size and had trouble getting it out of the rear pocket with winter gloves. I actually had to stop the bike well before the house to get it ready. Did not have to use it because the dogs this time got confused and ran the opposite direction coming up the hill. I have called animal control 3 times and they act like they are going to visit the homeowner, but so far the dogs remain loose. One good thing is these dogs have been pepper sprayed before so you can just about raise an empty hand and they put on the brakes.

I have been surrounded by 3 dogs before with one being a pit bull. The other two dogs were not sure what to do. They growled but also wagged their tails as I tried sweet talking them. The pitbull was not having any of it. It was about a 15 minute stand off. I kept my bike between me and the pitbull. He kept trying to circle around it, but I kept pivoting the bike as he changed directions. Finally he gave up and the 3 went away. He kept me so busy using the bike as a barrier that I could not grab the pepper spray.

So far I have not been bitten, but I did have a PCL tear and some major road rash in 2017 when I T-boned another nuisance dog. I called animal control for that one and they picked it up the next day. I am pretty sure they put that one down. It did not have a collar and it did not show up on their website for dogs available.

I've had my share of close calls with cars, but dogs I hate the most. I am not scared of them, but they can do a lot of damage either by mauling you or by hitting them. Anyway, sorry to hear and I hope you heal quickly and not be mentally traumatized by it. I have considered carrying a knife as a last ditch on my way to dying protection but still have not found the one I want to carry and how to carry it for rapid access. What I have found so far that once they start it really is hard to defend. They do not typically hesitate with human emotion like we tend to do as fighters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely in the dog lover camp, but these dogs need to be put down. It stinks, but you should press AC to go get them. As others have mentioned, it is not for yourself but for some little child who will be helpless when attacked.

I was a foster parent for a little boy who was attacked when he was 1 year old (before I got him). It took almost a decade of consistent work to help him get over the sheer terror of seeing any dog sized animal. This boy was lucky to live and did not deserve all the years of suffering afterward.

I wouldn't put any stock in pepper spray. Even if you could hit the dog in the eyes it might not do anything. I'm positive that if our dog decided to attack then nothing is going to stop her short of death. Maybe these will be easier to deter since they are attacking for no good reason but I wouldn't count on it.

Dog treats might distract, but again, I wouldn't count on it. I know my dog would ignore food from someone she felt was a danger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option is to carry a peanut butter based product on you - most dogs simply cannot resist it as a bribe. It is very hard to train a dog not to accept it even in a full attack mode. Peanut butter filled pretzels from Costco or Trader Joe's are basically the canine crack.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Attacked by 3 dogs while riding... [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think that an extendable self defense baton would be the best for a dog attack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Document it well and sue the holy hell out of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was not a "dog bite". This was a coordinated attack by 3 dogs that could have killed you if they got you down on the ground. You need to push animal control and the local authorities. Contact local newspaper if you get stonewalled. These dogs could kill someone eventually.

You should get a lawyer and sue the owner as well. That kind of damage to your calf might cause issues down the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Attacked by 3 dogs while riding... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would think that an extendable self defense baton would be the best for a dog attack.

I believe that may be my next option. I typically miss with the spray as the Sabre shoots a very fine stream. Probably works a lot better for a runner/walker than at speed and balancing a bike. On a couple of occasions I have made contact with a donkey kick to the snout and it will cause them to back off. I believe a sharp whack across the bridge of the nose if they get close to the shoe might do the trick.

I have a friend that had a German Shepherd latch on to his hamstring a couple years ago. His friend is a doctor and they had a really hard time getting to stop bleeding. The dog owner got nasty with them as well so they called a deputy. The owner got smart with the deputy until he almost got arrested. We had a couple chase us down a few years ago after the same doctor pepper sprayed a boxer biting at his wheel. Not only did the couple come after us, but I was behind him and got a good taste of the pepper spray. Fortunately I had sunglasses on and only got a little in my mouth. "Officer, do you have any pepper spray to go with my burrito?" That commercial was out about the time I got sprayed. :-)

You got to love being an athlete and having a variety of experiences out in the wild. :-)
(Edit: but being attacked/mauled/killed is no laughing matter. I just tend to put humor to most of my experiences)

extending baton though.....I think I may try that.
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Nov 4, 19 11:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Anyone else been attacked by multiple dogs?

As a veteran of 3 years of riding in rural NC, my strategy was to sprint like hell.

The dogs inevitably took a poor intercept angle and got left behind. Even when it was the same dog(s), they never seemed to learn.
Quote Reply
Re: Attacked by 3 dogs while riding... [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
Document it well and sue the holy hell out of them.

Unfortunately most of these dogs come from homes that don't have anything worth suing for.

My one interaction with animal control was "How do we know that you don't have a beef with the owner and are trying to get back at him"

That interaction was so bad that when I got bitten by a dog 2 weeks ago (on leash, owner busy texting) 3 inches from my groin I just asked if the dog had its shots, hoped the owner learned her lesson, and ran home.

Can't stand stupid dog owners.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: Attacked by 3 dogs while riding... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If only there was one that would also pump up your tires.....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and the worst crashes I have had was caused by two dogs at the same time. Since then pepper spray works great. Get the long range foam so it doesn't come back at you. You hit a dog any where in the face or the ass and they are done!
Quote Reply
Re: Attacked by 3 dogs while riding... [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
If only there was one that would also pump up your tires.....

Ah yes, "puppy polo". A good backwards wack with a zefal pump (not the plastic silca ones) to keep the dog from biting your leg of getting a leg caught in your wheel.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Attacked by 3 dogs while riding... [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
I used to carry an expandable baton that I purchased at a gun shop years ago when redneck dogs were more of a problem.

Wow... that sounds great! I didn't even know those existed. With that and pepper spray I should have a fighting chance at least.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to have them put down, and I don't really want that to happen anyway. It's the owner's fault. On the other hand these dogs are clearly a danger and need to be securely contained. AC said if there are multiple offenses they would quarantine the dogs, but I didn't inquire about exactly what that meant. They did say I can defend myself with any means necessary which I figured was the case.

I live in the mountains in southern NM. Not really the deep south. People and the motorists are courteous and considerate for the most part. The guy who owns these dogs doesn't appear to be an asshole.
Quote Reply
Re: Attacked by 3 dogs while riding... [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
I typically miss with the spray as the Sabre shoots a very fine stream. Probably works a lot better for a runner/walker than at speed and balancing a bike.

I never try to deal with dogs from my bike. I am either outrunning them, or I stop.
Quote Reply

Prev Next