Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

At what point will this be considered a fairing?
Quote | Reply
The bottle down the shirt thread got me thinking about other ways we consider things to be a fairing or not.

Consider the following setups. Ignore for the moment whether or not each of the intermediate steps are more aero than the one prior, though I'll hazard that the final step is more aero (but we'll get that that).

Step 0: Simple Aerobard. Obviously not a fairing but including here to show the steps.

Step 1 - Tape the area between the bars together with electrical tape, as Sam Laidlow did in Kona. Refs did not consider this to be a fairing

Step 2 - Change the material from electrical tape to an old compression sock. All I'm doing is changing the material, so should be the same as step 1, right?

Step 3- Add Gels and whatnot inside the sock. Now I've arguably made it useful in a way that goes beyond aerodynamics. If Step 2 wasn't a fairing, then surely this isn't either? On the plus side, its slightly more rounded so also likely more aero?

Step 4 - Add some spine to give it shape. Now's when it gets interesting. I've added some legos to the setup to give it, yes, a more aero shape, but critically I've also stretched out the compression sock so that it now holds an extra gel or two and does so in a way that keeps everything reliably in place. Is this now a fairing? (It's empty to show the setup but for a race I'd be putting gels inside). I can also stretch it out further to give it whatever shape I want.

So... What's the consensus? I've gained space for a few more gels and now I have the potential to be more aero, provided I make it the right shape. Is this a fairing? If so, at what point does it become a fairing? I've done this with a sock and some legos, but if a mainstream bike manufacturer created an aerobar with this shape and functionality, would it be a fairing?

Note: I did this quickly as a proof of concept. I'll do a round 2 which is smooths out the bumps and doesn't have wrinkles.

ETA: and here's the final product with a few gels and a bit more attention to detail, and how it interacts with where I typically grip the bars.

Last edited by: timbasile: Jun 17, 23 12:32
Quote Reply
Re: At what point will this be considered a fairing? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO, if it costs less than a dollar and is DIY, you run the risk of infringement. If it costs more than $1000 and is part of a $5000+ frame, you should be OK.
Quote Reply
Re: At what point will this be considered a fairing? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the legos edible?
Quote Reply
Re: At what point will this be considered a fairing? [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Emotions matter. Depends on how 'pro' it looks.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: At what point will this be considered a fairing? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
Are the legos edible?

https://www.etsy.com/...39b076c0%3A240515249

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't know about consensus but to my mind:

step 1 - clearly a fairing as the tape exists for no reason other than aerodynamics (unless it is somehow required for structural strength in which case you have to question safety)

step 2 - likewise an illegal fairing, no structural potential even

step 3 - debateable since it has another purpose, reasonably equivalent to a bento box which i don't think many would argue against

step 4 - more dubious since the lego has no purpose other than aero shaping - if the fabric is stretchy then it can hold that amount of stuff securely regardless of shape. again though, it seems reasonable and commonly accepted that any addition for functional reasons like a bento or hydration system can be of an aero shape but this is where the issues start - if an accepted functional component can be made aero then why can't you have the same aero shape without that component?
what about this

so, to extrapolate to the recent discussions arond bottles down your jersey - that is maybe legit but you'd better have it full of water and be drinking from it, or at least able to drink from it.
Quote Reply
Re: At what point will this be considered a fairing? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only the first two pictures are still showing up.

Super interested to see them though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't find it anymore, but there used to be a rule about allowable nutrition/hydration systems. It was something like a box ~20cm wide x~30cm tall that the "nutrition system" needed to pass through, so long as it was between the tip of the bars and the stem. I'd be a fan of reverting back to a system like this. Just do whatever you want within that box, but anything non-structural outside of it is a fairing.

Generally where you can keep legality with stuff like this is claiming that the fairing is a structural member, or at the very least added to improve stiffness/safety. Replace that tape/compression sock with a $50 carbon fiber wrap kit from Amazon and there is a reasonable argument that it's now structural.

IMO the only way to regulate this is what the UCI has done with allowable dimensions for basically every part of the frame. It doesn't even have to be extensively tested, just doing bike checks on the winners and some random AG qualifiers would be enough deterrent to keep those seeking an advantage in line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC, this bta drink system from Vision was banned as an illegal front fairing. Just because you can put some water in a nosecone....

My personal thought is that parts of the bike should not be allowed to be designed to reduce the drag of the rider (ex. nosecones and tailcones). They can position the rider better (ex. aerobars) within "non-recumbent" params, but that's it.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jun 17, 23 16:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is so important to have this definition of what is or not a fairing? Is it focused to know who cheats or not? Or to know who has more or less advantage?

It is very hard to put a number on the aero advantage of Sam Laidlow taped extensions. Probably he got much more advantage with the motorcycle ahead.

I just want to know what’s the purpose of the inquiry since I’ve been seeing people more focused in this topic. We know that rules can be vent and personally I’m Ok with that as long as don’t compromise safety of people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coincidently this was my own experiment with the bars and a sleeve. I apologise for the lousy photo, but essentially the bottle is under the bars in an old compression sock which I doubled over to form a pocket on the upside. The profile is slightly V shaped as a result on the underside. I did try and race with it this weekend, but as I had a mechanical issue I can't give results. The bottle and flexible tube is from a Hockey water bottle.
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Jun 19, 23 8:28
Quote Reply
Re: At what point will this be considered a fairing? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
Are the legos edible?

You can certainly eat them mid race, if you want. Not sure how well that will do for post-race recovery though...
Quote Reply
Re: At what point will this be considered a fairing? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Coincidently this was my own experiment with the bars and a sleeve. I apologise for the lousy photo, but essentially the bottle is under the bars in an old compression sock which I doubled over to form a pocket on the upside. The profile is slightly V shaped as a result on the underside. I did try and race with it this weekend, but as I had a mechanical issue I can't give results. The bottle and flexible tube is from a Hockey water bottle.

I assume this passed muster wrt to any refs which may have seen the setup?
Quote Reply
Re: At what point will this be considered a fairing? [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guillermoD wrote:
Why is so important to have this definition of what is or not a fairing? Is it focused to know who cheats or not? Or to know who has more or less advantage?

It is very hard to put a number on the aero advantage of Sam Laidlow taped extensions. Probably he got much more advantage with the motorcycle ahead.

I just want to know what’s the purpose of the inquiry since I’ve been seeing people more focused in this topic. We know that rules can be vent and personally I’m Ok with that as long as don’t compromise safety of people.

My inquiry has two parts
- I'm looking to save a few watts, and at the same time I'm looking for a place to store an extra few gels and be less dependent on aid stations, especially in an Ironman. This location seems like a reasonable place to do so (bento is full, I have no pockets on my tri suit, other locations are already taken...), and if I can save a watt or three by shaping the solution I might as well try.
-The rules for Ironman are very much unclear, and I'd like to know what the rule is so I can figure out point #1 within the rule. Or at least the enforcement is unclear. As the bottle down the shirt results show us, most people are using them as fairings (few have the bottles actually full at some point), but it seems to be all clear as far as enforcement goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is Canada....what refs? :0)

ps What could they refuse. It's a safe, fixed bottle mount and Bento all in one. I would question any attempt to call it illegal.
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Jun 19, 23 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
mdtrihard wrote:
Are the legos edible?

You can certainly eat them mid race, if you want. Not sure how well that will do for post-race recovery though...

"....I have one brick workout left to do....."
Quote Reply
Re: At what point will this be considered a fairing? [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the building blocks to success"
Quote Reply