Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: At the very heart of it, why do you do triathlons? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like triathlon because:
- I am an arrogant, narcissistic wanker with an ego problem & it makes me feel way more superior to all those loser fatty boombahs.
- I prefer to suck badly at three sports not just one.
- I like beer & the mindless dedication to Ironman training stops me from becoming a loser fatty boombah.

If anyone reading this takes it seriously please go purchase a sense of humour.

"If you want to run with the big dogs, you're going to have to learn to piss on the big trees."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very competitive, and although it seems shallow, I enjoy being faster than other people.

Other factors include:
- enjoyment of each discipline (this includes weightlifting, nutrition etc)
- enjoyment of being "that guy" everybody at work and school thinks is crazy for training so much and actually being disciplined with food
- looking decent at the beach
-etc

Helios Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a lard ass. I hurt myself trying to run to get back in shape. I found out I LIKE to ride and I generally like to swim. Running is my penance to be able to do the other two. I abhor running.

I am no longer a lard ass, I'm not exactly svelte but I fit back in my pants from over 10 years ago again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the chicks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not start tri training until I was 53. I had started riding a bike because I could no longer play pickup basketball due to bone spurs on the knee at age 48. I found I was decent at biking but at my age I was not going to be racing competitively with guys in their 20's & 30's. I tried a tri and found that I did have guys that I could compete with due to the age grouping. Additionally you will never run out of competing with yourself to try and improve some facet of your game!

I also feel much better when I am regularly working out. The aches & pains of a workout are much better than the general creakiness of old age. I am in the best shape of my life. The difference age makes is not in performance - it is in recovery!

http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still asking my self this everyday...

Compare me to a swimmer. I suck.
Compare me to a cyclist. I suck.
Compare me to a runner...well...I suck.

I am pretty good at the transitions.

It's expensive, my friends don't do it, I sometimes miss some good surf on 100 mile bike rides and that pisses me OFF, and I hate traveling to races and getting up at 5am.

Why am I doing this?

In the end, I guess it's because I can.
Quote Reply
Re: At the very heart of it, why do you do triathlons? [Tri or Die] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because when I was little I was forced to play piano (hated it) instead of riding road bikes 24/7 (wanted to). so yes I got issues (working on them)
Quote Reply
Re: At the very heart of it, why do you do triathlons? [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: At the very heart of it, why do you do triathlons? [Trinash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If i didn't I would be bored.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have almost no athletic gifts and race because I must. I think it keeps me sane.... Or, close to sane.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: At the very heart of it, why do you do triathlons? [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I could never, ever figure out how to run 80 mpw without getting injured.
Quote Reply
Re: At the very heart of it, why do you do triathlons? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:
Look at obese people, disabled people, people without the guile or resources. It isn't on their menu, they don't have the luxury of choice.

Obese people have a choice, I know this as I used to be obese 18 months ago, I've swam/biked/run myself down to "Tubby" so far (18kg/40lb lost), goal is another 12kgs to be slim/fit.

Why do I do triathlons? Because I don't want to be a fat couch potato any more, I started out walking, moved to shuffling and then slow running. I added swimming to the mix about a year ago, 6 months ago I walked past a bike shop and though "wonder how hard a triathlon would be seeing as I already swim/run" - FYI bloodily hard is the answer. I've done 3 sprints so far with a 4th and final for the season next weekend.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Chicks are like Voltron, the more you can get, the better it is." -Tucker
Quote Reply

Prev Next