Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Asymetrical running styles
Quote | Reply
I was driving back to the office and noticed a lady running down the sidewalk. We often talk about somebody being a heelstriker, a mid-foot striker, or ball of the foot striker, but she was actually a heel striking on her right foot and ball-of-foot striking on her left foot. She was actually so biased towards her toes on the left that often her heel never reached the ground.

Has anybody else seen something like this? Have you seen it in somebody that you considered fast? Would you conceivably use two different shoes designed for two different strides?
Quote Reply
Re: Asymetrical running styles [Todder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll guess it's biomechanical issues due to body asymetry. Could be something like one leg being quite a bit shorter than the other, etc. Custom orthotics or even custom shoes might help.
Quote Reply
Re: Asymetrical running styles [Todder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me, but I have an artificial hip.
Quote Reply
Re: Asymetrical running styles [miami79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Me, but I have an artificial hip.
Why do you have one at so young?
Quote Reply
Re: Asymetrical running styles [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke it 10 years ago in high school - running. Had numerous surgeries to try to fix it. Got it replaced 5 years ago. The whole story is in the hip replacement thread.

I run with (I'm told) a stilted gait. It feels smooth to me, though, and it's fast enough to do what I need to do!
Quote Reply