Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Astana; what will they be riding?
Quote | Reply
With BMC pulling out of Astana, anyone know who their new bike sponsor will be?

With all the discovery riders heading to Astana, and no pro tour team for Trek. Will Trek take the risk on Astana?
Quote Reply
Re: Astana; what will they be riding? [kytri_in_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
With BMC pulling out of Astana, anyone know who their new bike sponsor will be?

With all the discovery riders heading to Astana, and no pro tour team for Trek. Will Trek take the risk on Astana?
What risk? They were already sponsoring Discovery? (remember, this was a team with convicted dopers on the roster, and at least 3 signings of alleged Puerto-involved riders, confessions from former riders, etc). So far, it doesn't seem to have factored into their decision-making process.
Last edited by: roady: Oct 25, 07 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: Astana; what will they be riding? [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um, ok, jsut out of morbid curiosity what "convicted dopers" did Discovery have on its roster? And, what "confessions of former riders" do you know of and do they really amount to much? I mean Frankie Andreu is one, but who else?
Last edited by: Macho Grande: Oct 25, 07 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: Astana; what will they be riding? [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
regardless of Trek's past, there's plenty of risk associated with Astana.
Quote Reply
Re: Astana; what will they be riding? [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I edited 'number' to 'convicted doper'....I'll let you look at the roster an do the research though. Needless to say though, one of their highest profile riders is a convicted doper... And let's face it, the Basso deal is a pretty big black eye as well. Stephen Swart was the most notable (and non-anonymous) former rider to talk (and testify under oath) about doping, though (while the team was still Motorola).

As far as Astana goes, though, I think they're counting on two things: people have short memories, and people will view it as a completely different team. I doubt they're going to have trouble getting a bike sponsor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it isn't Trek, I'd be shocked.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
would be interesting to see a company like Felt step in w/ Astana...

Re: Astana; what will they be riding? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt will be sponsoring Team Slipstream for next year and they are working HARD to get into the TdF.

Unless someone gets busted for doping between now and January 1st, 08 Trek will be the bike sponsor for Astana once all the contracts are signed and the team is set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have it on good authority they'll be riding roadmasters from wal mart. WITH the upgraded tassel handlebars, as was previously reported to the contrary.

http://www.noahmwalton.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will be on treks. Everything/one that has signed recently, I heard about on a group ride weeks prior. Also heard trek has final say on design of jersey.
Quote Reply
Re: Astana; what will they be riding? [aroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes Trek...the finest bike for peoples greatest of Kazakstan.
In Reply To:
They will be on treks. Everything/one that has signed recently, I heard about on a group ride weeks prior. Also heard trek has final say on design of jersey.
Quote Reply
Re: Astana; what will they be riding? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just wait for your bruynel training camp in new mexico
Quote Reply
Re: Astana; what will they be riding? [aroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mexico is ment to be good for training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's very interesting how TREK and BMC have crossed paths in the past few years, it started with Tyler moving from US Postal to Phonak, via CSC before imploding on a BMC TT machine, then came Floyd taking a similar path from Postal to Phonak before imploding more spectacularly on a BMC. Now Trek is reportedly moving on to take the mantle of BMC at Astana. If Trek end up officially sponsoring Astana, would you get an autographed jersey from Borat every time you buy a Trek!
Quote Reply