Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Asics Speedstar 3 and 4
Quote | Reply
For all the Asics Speedstar devotees out there have you tried the new 4? I've been shopping around for some winter shoes lately and noticed that the Speedstar 3 is on the chopping block in favor of an updated version. Among the changes are a new sole material and off-center lacing. I know that Asics says these are 'upgrades' but after being 'upgraded' out of first the Nimbus and then the Cumulous I'm wondering if I'm about to be upgraded out of the Speedstar too.

Anyway, before I go and buy about eight pair of the current version on closeout to get me through IMC I thought I'd see if anybody is runing in the new version yet. Thanks

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Asics Speedstar 3 and 4 [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't think the speedstar 4's were available yet? I know my LRS doesn't have them in yet and sites like RRS won't ship them till January.

The most significant change will be the switch from speva to solyte. I know a lot of people dislike solyte due to its lack of a 'bouncy' feel compared to speva. I personally can't notice any significant difference between the two, but that's just me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For all the Asics Speedstar devotees out there have you tried the new 4? I've been shopping around for some winter shoes lately and noticed that the Speedstar 3 is on the chopping block in favor of an updated version. Among the changes are a new sole material and off-center lacing. I know that Asics says these are 'upgrades' but after being 'upgraded' out of first the Nimbus and then the Cumulous I'm wondering if I'm about to be upgraded out of the Speedstar too.

Anyway, before I go and buy about eight pair of the current version on closeout to get me through IMC I thought I'd see if anybody is runing in the new version yet. Thanks

I just got them via special order. Asics Canada has them in stock and it's up to you to get your retailer to special order them because they won't be carried in stock until Spring 2010.

The first thing you will notice about Speedstar IV is that it feels more like the Speedstar II - a lot less slapping on the ground. At least that's what I felt when I had the Speedstar III. The lightweight feeling is still there in the Speedstar IV but it seems to be softer than the Speedstar III, which means that it is more forgiving for long runs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
definitely go for the 4s. the speedstar 3s are my favorite shoes and everything i thought that could make the 4s better the implemented.

asymmetrical lacing= more comfort and better fit
solyte mid sole foam= slightly cushier and lighter
bangin' color= blood red!
Quote Reply
Re: Asics Speedstar 3 and 4 [art_k82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The first thing you will notice about Speedstar IV is that it feels more like the Speedstar II - a lot less slapping on the ground. At least that's what I felt when I had the Speedstar III. The lightweight feeling is still there in the Speedstar IV but it seems to be softer than the Speedstar III, which means that it is more forgiving for long runs!

Oh crap, if it's softer, it looks like I'm out of a shoe. The only thing I would change about the current Speedstar is to make it slightly less soft, even though it's better in that regard than most shoes. Soft = less natural running motion = injury. This may be the year I finally have to start training in racing flats.

Once you arrive at the race, deposit your excuses in the same location as last night's pasta.
Quote Reply
Re: Asics Speedstar 3 and 4 [eparrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the original Speedstar, The one in Goldenrod, that bright yellow color?

After that version they narrowed the toe box too much for me, anyone know if the new versions have a roomy toe box?

Can those originals still be purchased anywhere? I tried a google search but came up empty....

Ron W.
Quote Reply