Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Argon 18 E-119 Tri Rear Brake Struggles
Quote | Reply
I'm on a rim brake E-119 Tri and the rear brake has just been terrible. I dealt with it last race season and had some scenarios that were borderline unsafe given lack of stopping power. Pulled and re-set cable and replaced pads with new TRPs. As expected its a bit softer being the rear but I am nowhere near the hard clamp feel / result I get on my road bike (rim brake 105s). Bike has no more than 1.5 race seasons on it and has always been this way. Wheels are HED Jet+ so aluminum brake track.

Image attached shows the brake style. Any suggestions or solutions are appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 Tri Rear Brake Struggles [ttamrez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on this bike since 2016 and for me the rear brake has enough power to block the rear wheel if I wanted to, but you have to pull hard, I give you that.

Setup wise, make sure that the brake cable runs through the housing smoothly (check by removing it from the brake and bull back and forth) and make sure break pads are aligned symmetrically and quite close to the wheel. Due to the limited plunger range of motion you will not get to full power if brake pads are too far away from the rim....

Best,
Uli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttamrez wrote:
I'm on a rim brake E-119 Tri and the rear brake has just been terrible. I dealt with it last race season and had some scenarios that were borderline unsafe given lack of stopping power. Pulled and re-set cable and replaced pads with new TRPs. As expected its a bit softer being the rear but I am nowhere near the hard clamp feel / result I get on my road bike (rim brake 105s). Bike has no more than 1.5 race seasons on it and has always been this way. Wheels are HED Jet+ so aluminum brake track.

Image attached shows the brake style. Any suggestions or solutions are appreciated.

If you don't get the answers you need, there is a FB group called Argon 18 Executive Owners Club

There are a few Argon engineers who will sometime chime in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this bike and I've had no issues with the rear brake. The front brake can annoy me at times, but never the rear.

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you fix the issue? I’m on a e117 and was having issues with the rear brake not returning. Thought the spring was going bad. Replaced it. Turns out the issue is the right caliper isn’t seating or screwing in all the way. I can initially set it up and the tension is perfect when I move the caliper with my hand. Once I pull the brake lever the tension that is created in a downward motion moves the brake caliper out of alignment and all tension from the spring is lost. It ends up in the original position not returning all the way. I am working on it to see if somehow the screw was cross threaded at some point. I may add a small washer to remove the play from the caliper if the bolt can’t end up driving home all the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 Tri Rear Brake Struggles [714endurance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, to be honest I am on a wheel-off trainer for winter and haven't gone back to evaluate my brake issues yet. Planning to do that once we start to warm up outside (in the midwest). I'll report back on progress though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Checking in here. Replaced my cables in April and it was working great, but now we are back to square one. Had to adjust tension and I’m using almost all front brake power. Going to replace the cable and brake itself…again. Just wondering if anyone had any luck.
Quote Reply