Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)?
Quote | Reply
I found this on the Metrotri.com calender page

It's not April Fools Day

But they've got to be kidding!

http://nycironrace.blogspot.com/

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't know... i think it looks kind of fun.
i wouldn't want to be the one organizing it, but it would be fun to compete in it. very urban. the kind of IM that would have a messenger contingent.
Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah its real
unlicensed and unpermitted but legal, any one can swim bike and run the course if they want... it just happens that you will have a time limit and there may be 200 hundred other triathletes doing it at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know this race from Adam, but I'm gonna declare it awesome just the same. I love the idea, and I hope races of this ilk take the world by storm.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps this is just what a lot of diehards need - a series of "underground" races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
these guys are for real...and I'm signed up for it. finish line in times square, how cool is that?

stefan
Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is pretty cool...totally doesnt fit my race season but thats gotta be pretty awesome...and almost a tougher test without any of the support of the officially sponsored races.

it seems like sbr has something to do with it...hope that they are legally positioned away from it just so that they dont get in trouble if someone gets sue-happy...which is a problem in nyc.

but all in alll- sounds like a rocking race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's an awesome idea. I am however wondering why someone would put a registration fee on something that is "unpermited" though.

Seems that a Swim/Bike/Run workout woudl be legal and pretty much nothing could be done about it. However an organized race is "illegal". Why turn it into a race?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
something is odd: an unofficial race, no RD, no permits, all run with donated materials, that part i follow. but then what's the point of "registration" and the $ 40 fee ? who gets the fee ?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [Greg x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they mention you get a medal and a T-shirt. It certainly sounds like this is being run just for fun. Sounds like a hoot.
Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
t-shirt = 10 bucks

medal = 2 bucks

where does the rest go for a completely unofficial race ?

Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [Greg x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
email him and ask him.
Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kus, tell them that we need an "Epicman" New York. Cut the run to 21K and I am there. Self supported training endurance challenges are totally cool. But not a full marathon. How about having Ironman NY for the studs and Epicman NY for the lame guys like me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
t shirt, a very cool trophy ( a copy of the original 1978 IM trophy), race food, carbo dinner, finish line food, award ceremony food, swim caps, race number, security bracelet, hair band to count the loops in central park, finish line banner , aluminum blanket at finish line, beer beer beer if anything is left from the money...

stefan
Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. It is hard to collect and entry fee and proclaim that it is not a real event. This is why Epicman in LP works (http://www.irontri.triathletesonline.com/?cp=91). There is no entry fee, no timing, no aid stations, no support. Just a bunch of guys swim-bike-running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah, got it. sounds fun.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kus, is this a group ride into NYC, or is it full out racing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow...all that for 40 bucks. cool.

but thats not really underground then...more like a few feet below the surface...but better than nothing at all...no support is really hard for that distance...ive never stashed a bottle in the park that hasnt been stolen or worse- peed on. better to have somethng.
Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [triisr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to admit my ignorance of new york city, however, where would the bike take place. isn't new york city HUGE and the streets packed with cars everywhere? Or will the bike be out in the burbs?
Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dev, I guess you can see it as you wish. if you draft, you cheat and you cheat yourself. I would see it as a race into T2, after that just having fun. although it would be cool to be the first one in times square. sign up for it and come down!

stefan
Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I have to admit my ignorance of new york city, however, where would the bike take place. isn't new york city HUGE and the streets packed with cars everywhere? Or will the bike be out in the burbs?[/reply]

i'm guessing that it'll mostly be out of manhattan; there are good bike routes around there, but it is what it is. I think that a lot of people will spend a lot of time out of their aerobars, whether because of traffic conditions, stop signs/traffic lights, or just uncertainty about the directions. And since it ends in manhattan, well, there'll be a certain "home field advantage" for people who've biked in the area.

that's what i'm guessing.
Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [urbanrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good terrain for aero bars...keep them on your bike

stefan
Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [triisr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read the full website it looks like there will be support

Logistical

SWIM

This event is completely on a volunteer basis. You must provide your own transportation to the swim start, if you don’t have transportation ask a friend, if you don’t have any friends, send us an email and mention you need a triathlon buddy to get you to the start. Volunteers will collect your wetsuit for save keeping if requested.

BIKE

There will be ONE aid station on the bike at mile 56 where you can pickup your special needs bike bag. You must have a friend pick up your bike at the run finish, if you don’t have any friends you can walk your bike to SBR a block away to hold your bike for safe keeping.

RUN

On the run there will be an aid station every 3 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kus, I was mainly asking about whether it is a group ride to understand if you have to learn the route, or if you are with a group. If it is a solo thing, then you have to know the route in advance. It turns into a kind of urban Iron Distance Adventure race.

As for run distance, you know me. If the only real "event" is the full distance, I would either do that or nothing at all. If there is an Epicman distance offered, then I will do that :-).

I am not saying no yet. Its just that is is only 4 weeks after Ironman LP!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Are these guys for real; NYC Iron Race (an un licensed, un permitted, underground race)? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dev, the route will be straight forward. no adventure race type of thing. rather fast with rolling hills. nothing to get worried about. no wave start I guess, so you and me can legally ride together. I would guide you to T2 and show you my urban riding skills :)

stefan
Quote Reply

Prev Next