Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are new model bikes worth the new model price tag?
Quote | Reply
Does technology change fast enough in the bike manufacturing world to warrant buying this years new model when older models are so readily available at good prices?

I.O.W. If I were buying a computer, Yes, technology outpaces cost. If I were buying furniture, then no, value doesn't decrease with time. Are bikes closer to one side of the spectrum?
Quote Reply
Re: Are new model bikes worth the new model price tag? [scstuart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are bikes closer to one side of the spectrum?

Much closer to furniture.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Are new model bikes worth the new model price tag? [scstuart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Bike technology doesn't change that fast despite the annual marketing hype. It's not like even a "major" change such as 10 sp from 9 sp is really that significant.

Bikes have a fairly high depreciation. You can pick up a two or three yr old model for half the cost of a new one and there won't be that much of a techno difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Are new model bikes worth the new model price tag? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 1970 Px10 is still a nice fast ( faster then I need )light bike. I lose on my 9sp I lose on my 6 sp. I am going the other way, fixed. OH I can lose on it to . It is more fun though.

Down with high tech.
Down with watts
Down with branding
Down with dual pivot brakes
Down with www. on bikes stays
Down with flat black bikes
Down with areo head buckets
Down with STI shifting
Down with clinchers
Down with areo seat tubes

Thom
Quote Reply
Re: Are new model bikes worth the new model price tag? [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...and a retogrouch is born

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great engine + comfort = fast. Other than bike fit not too much about the bike matters.

SciGuy

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply