Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are ceramic bottom brackets worth the money? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The Hawk racing bottom bracket uses ceramic bearings, which are brittle and can crack. Also, you will notice in the video that the crank arm will stop at many different positions because the weight of the crank can't overcome the friction in the bearings.

With Carbonyte bearings, there is so little friction in the bearings that the crank arms will swing back and forth until the are straight up and down.
The Hawk Racing BBs do NOT use ceramic ball bearings. They are high grade stainless steel. Nothing is brittle, nothing can crack. The difference is in the Non-contact seal and the quality and viscosity of the lubricant.
Quote Reply
Re: Are ceramic bottom brackets worth the money? [brairpatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I apologize for stating that Hawk was using ceramic bearings. When I watched the video, I didn't hear him mention that they use steel bearings.
Quote Reply
Re: Are ceramic bottom brackets worth the money? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think one thing people forget is that most testing is done on new or very good condition bearings. Most of us are really concerned with how bearings stand up over time, and this is where I think many of the new systems fail. I have mostly square taper bb, with one DA octolink and one ISIS. So far the ISIS and Octolink have been used in very crappy wesather for over a year and are still smooth.

Hearing reports of higher friction on outboard, poor wear, and higher Q factor really makes me wonder why the outboard bearings are so popular.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Are ceramic bottom brackets worth the money? [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plenty of reports of ISIS problems too =)

In Reply To:
I think one thing people forget is that most testing is done on new or very good condition bearings. Most of us are really concerned with how bearings stand up over time, and this is where I think many of the new systems fail. I have mostly square taper bb, with one DA octolink and one ISIS. So far the ISIS and Octolink have been used in very crappy wesather for over a year and are still smooth.

Hearing reports of higher friction on outboard, poor wear, and higher Q factor really makes me wonder why the outboard bearings are so popular.

Styrrell

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Are ceramic bottom brackets worth the money? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a book (in French) on 'cycling mythology'...forgot the title but it was a funny read...including lead-filled bottles to go downhill faster, no drinking during climbs, or only alcohol, Merckx adjusting his seat height when going uphill or downhill, etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Are ceramic bottom brackets worth the money? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That reminds me of the old school TTs in the 70s-80s...most pros would race TTs with all the bearing having been cleared of all grease/lube, and they would use a thin oil instead, sometimes even cooking oil, including for the BB, and the bearings of the wheels. Hinault was a big fan of that for instance.
They felt everything was smoother but the bearings were dead after one TT.

Ah, yes ... the good ol' days!

Another of the secret tricks was to remove one bearing ball from each race. More psychology than science, I'd say!
Quote Reply
Re: Are ceramic bottom brackets worth the money? [Jawman16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
then there is this...

Quote Reply

Prev Next