Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"nice troll..."
And don't we love our little fluffy companions:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1214776&uid=700824

-
"Yeah, no one likes a kissass, but... err, well, no one likes a kissass." - Anonymous

"Life is like a Box of chocolates..." - Forrest Gump
Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kissass, (LOVE the new monicker, you rawk dood! ;-)

Here's some nuggets from a little tome some of you may be familiar with, called 'Going Long':

"Be particularly careful with your running volume. Many athletes run far too much for ironman-distance racing. Remember that the best place to build endurance and aerobic fitness is on your bike. Running beats you up, and the greatest challenge for most folks training for ironman-distance racing is how fast they can recover."

"You will find that threshold and anaerobic exercise greatly increase your recovery needs. This type of training also increases the risks of burning out, illness, and injury."

"You should target three key sessions each week (one for each sport): one long swim of 75-100 minutes, one long ride of 4 to 5 hours followed by a 20- to 30-minute transition run, and one long run of 90 to 150 minutes. Everything else is filler." (I added the bold for emphasis)

"Until you have the aerobic fitness for this task, "going hard" is likely a wasted opportunity for futher endurance training."

"Although high-intensity work is essential for elite athletes, 90% ofthe field in any race is average age groupers. Consistency beats intensity in nearly all age group situations." (I added the bold again for emphasis)

** the above excerpted from Going Long, Friel and Byrn, 2003

But hell, this book is almost 3 years old now, and we all know that Gordo and Joe Friel don't have a clue about any of this, so call it n=2 sample size ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uhoh. I've been outed. Damn Action Sports International.

As you can see I practice what I preach.

Aero helmet. Very dorky but fast. Several minutes faster.

Man bra/bro/manzier. Again dorky but a few degrees cooler in the tropics than a standard top/one piece which may give you 10sec per mile on the run. Also no changing coming out of water

No rear bottles=more aero.

One bottle holder on frame, that's it. Light and aero. And what's in it. Gatorade. No Gus, bars, Bento's Boxes or other crap on the frame. No pockets so you can see I survive on Gatorade alone. It works people.

I have the lightest most minimal aerobar I know of the HED bar. Not much to hold on to when descending but the trade off is worth it.

No computer, heart rate moniter, GPS device or power meter. Just a simple watch. Go by how you feel. It's usually right if you train that way.

The only compromise I made was not running the disc because of the rough roads. I thought the spoked wheel might run a little faster.

The point is if you squeeze every second you can from your equiptment it frequently pays off.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, YOU rock! :)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a kissass, but... err, well, no one likes a kissass." - Anonymous

Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For anyone wondering how to post those ASI photos, in Internet explorer, click on view, scroll down to source. This will display the HTML code. Do a search on jpg and you can tell which jpg is the picture. For example the guy who Slick beat by 12 second (Ahmed Zaher) is at this link:

http://63.147.61.47/...2/10042-106-014f.jpg

I have pasted it into the ST link utility:

This picture alone reveals the 12 seconds that Slick got the Kona slot by. Ahmed has the non aero helmet and he took the time to put on gloves...and speaking of leading the swim and cosmetic bulk, Ahmed is the man! He almost ran Slick down with a 1:31 half marathon. OK, I hijacked my own thread. Perhaps Ahmed runs the odd interval workout though!
Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [kissasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, YOU do!!! :)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, YOU! :)

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1:31 with that build is sick.

You know I almost didn't bring the aero lid.

The rest of our set up is darn near identicle.

Except for those gloves. What's up with that? Ahmed?
Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Matt;

You forgot to add some poster size race pics of yourself to your post. :-)
I wa a little hesitant to post that, don't want to too my own horn so much, but the proof is in the pudding, so I needed the results as empirical evidence. I used to spend a lot of time on track doing intervals, but I just did not do enough miles. I am way faster now without doing any intensity. Sure I would probably be pretty slow in an 800m race, but I am not planning on racing an 800m any time soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Terminator (that would be Ahmed) will chew up anyone that gets in his path on the run (with or without intervals). I wonder what gearing he used to haul up the Beast. But he has to lose the gloves. Clearly not ST approved. I wonder if Ahmed races Clydesdale :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my take:

It is my feeling that at least a moderate percentage of the people who are running these 8 to 9 minute miles you refer to are, what I call, single speed runners. For the most part, no matter how much training they do or don't do, they run the same pace and never get any faster. They are trapped in this rut and don't know how to get out. And most of them stay there because they don't realize (or don't believe) that intervals are one of the best ways out; they don't understand the benefits that interval training provides...many of which I believe would transfer over to even the slowest of runners.

These benefits include things such as:
Teaching your body to run at speeds other than what is 'normal' (as triguy42 attested to).
It forces you to run at more optimal cadences (leg turnover)
It forces you develop a more efficient running form - picking up your heals, 'shortening the lever', etc.

Perhaps, for people running 8 to 9 minute miles, intervals may not be useful so much for the physiological adapations that this type of intensity provides (lactate threshold, etc.), but for the biomechanical adaptations it encourages (form). Forgive me if I minced my terms there.

And hence the "10x(20-30) second at 6 min per mile pace with 90 second recovery" that you mentioned is probably one great "interval" workout specifically because, as you say, "it is good for form, technique and range of motion" without over-stressing the body.

I would also encourage the form drills that you see just about every track team doing before their workout. High heels, high knees, strides, etc, etc. Our coach has done this (in combination with a weekly track/interval workout) with our team...and a number of our "single speed runners" (who have been running the same pace forever) have been making great improvements.

Anyhow, it's always good to do what your parents say. And my father, who was a 2:17 marathoner way back when, tells me intervals are good for just about everyone. Not very scientific, but good enough for me! ;-)

Cheers,
Marcus George, President
UCLA Triathlon Team
http://www.triathlon.ucla.edu
http://wcctc.pengra.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Be particularly careful with your running volume. Many athletes run far too much for ironman-distance racing. Remember that the best place to build endurance and aerobic fitness is on your bike. Running beats you up, and the greatest challenge for most folks training for ironman-distance racing is how fast they can recover."

"You will find that threshold and anaerobic exercise greatly increase your recovery needs. This type of training also increases the risks of burning out, illness, and injury."

"You should target three key sessions each week (one for each sport): one long swim of 75-100 minutes, one long ride of 4 to 5 hours followed by a 20- to 30-minute transition run, and one long run of 90 to 150 minutes. Everything else is filler." (I added the bold for emphasis)

"Until you have the aerobic fitness for this task, "going hard" is likely a wasted opportunity for futher endurance training."

"Although high-intensity work is essential for elite athletes, 90% ofthe field in any race is average age groupers. Consistency beats intensity in nearly all age group situations." (I added the bold again for emphasis)

** the above excerpted from Going Long, Friel and Byrn, 2003

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For whatever reason, ST doesn't keep my text.

Re: The above post.

Thanks for the post and thanks for including something more than anecdotal "I do this and I think it works."

These blurbs point out training priorities, however, what he calls "filler" I'll call "the finer details." Neglecting these will only get you 85% of the job done. If I had to chose between getting 85% there or 15% there, I'll always chose.......um......... 100%! Remember, the title asks if run intervals are "useless."

Disclaimer: 85% and 15% are completely arbitrary, but I CAN verify that 85 + 15 = 100.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When Gordo wrote that, around 2002-2003, he had been a coach for maybe 1-2 years and a triathlete for maybe 3-4, so I'm pretty sure he changed his mind since then.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Thanks for the post and thanks for including something more than anecdotal "I do this and I think it works."
as far as i can remember, that's a pretty accurate description of going long.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so what coaches in 2006 seem to "get it" and are getting results?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Dev, thanks for the kind words, and others,

Your original question asks whether there is value for most IM age groupers to do intervals. I jumped ahead and suggested that most people don't have a complete running program to begin with and there are other components that would probably benefit them more than intervals. It's not that intervals are useless, I believe they compromise other aspects of your training, jeopardize consistency and that the risk is not worth the reward.

It's easy to get distracted from the topic; obviously cycling, execution, etc. impact performance, but I'm sticking with the run program for now. I took the liberty of assuming that the next logical question would be: If not intervals, than what or how do you get faster? I responded with frequency, volume, duration and consistency, which in turn builds strength, durability and economy in running.

To answer one of your questions: I prefer to keep the weeks balanced rather than intentional reduce the cycling and swimming just so you can run more. This might mean re-thinking what a balanced week looks like; I've always emphasized the run.

What is "needed to pull off that "crème de la crème" sub 3:30 Ironman run split". I think it takes more than 3-4x per week and 4 hrs of running, especially when one of those runs is your weekly long run of 2 hrs (and a few other runs of 30 - 40 min). It takes more than 12 weeks to build a solid running program. I picked those numbers because it seems like that's what most people are doing to prepare for IM; Most people don't run to their potential at IM.

I think for most people to run to their potential at IM they need to change the way they look at their running program. Most will need to run 5x at a minimum; many of the bigger weeks should include 6 or 7 runs. The duration of the runs should build to between :50 - 1:20 so the weekly volume might be as high as 7 or 8 hrs. Long runs are not required every week. Too many people get a false sense of security from their long run and use it to beef up their weekly volume so they don't have to run so often. But when your frequency is lacking you'll feel it during an IM.

I believe strongly in this protocol. I've had the pleasure of seeing my IM marathon time improve every single time (save one) over the last 7 years. Almost every athlete I work with pr'd last year including a 9:53 first time IM with a 3:23 run and Lori Travis running the 3rd fastest in ag (3:38) run split in Kona.

Mitch

Counterpart Coaching.com

Counterpart Coaching Training Camps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't part of the objective with any intervals (run, bike or swim) to teach your body how to become more physiologically efficient (something about system transport and/or processing ?) and this can only be done with hard intervals followed by recovery ?
Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
so what coaches in 2006 seem to "get it" and are getting results?

where did this come from?

that's a pretty broad question. internet coaches or coaches who have actual squads? those working with age groupers or elite athletes?

to be honest, i'm not even all that aware of who coaches who.

to me, it's about improvement. like chris martin told me when i started coaching swimming, if you want to be a great coach, take someone who sucks and make them great. unfortunately, in the world of coaching (at least in swimming) coaching "awards" usually just go to the coach of the most successful athlete. even if that's the only decent athlete that coach has ever had.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for the post and thanks for including something more than anecdotal "I do this and I think it works."[/reply]as far as i can remember, that's a pretty accurate description of going long.

My statement was sincere and not meant to sound "pointed" or sarcastic. It was a good post.....better than what most have put up.

Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [Mitch Gold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks Mitch. This seems like sound advice and pretty consistent with the other somewhat "reliable" sources that I've checked.

My experience has been (as a competetive runner, coach, and aspiring triathlete) that too often people are looking for the "magic workout." The "magic workout" is meant to be a cure-all for those who don't want to get the training in (I call it the "McWorkout"). Nevertheless, it often flys in the face of fundamental training principles.

On some thread (maybe this one) I had asked what the elites do and the answer I got was , "Don't worry about what they do. They're different." Yet, as a distance runner and coach, the most successful teams and individuals were the ones who trained following exactly the same principles that the elites followed. The only real difference being the volume and intensity at which the training was done. ie, instead of 100 miles/wk & an 18 mile long run at 6:00/mile (1:30 slower than 5K pace), my kids would run 50 miles/wk & a 10 mile long run at 8:00/mile (still ~1:30 slower).....just as an example.

I have a hard time believing that it's any different for triathlon.

Quote:
Your original question asks whether there is value for most IM age groupers to do intervals. I jumped ahead and suggested that most people don't have a complete running program to begin with and there are other components that would probably benefit them more than intervals. It's not that intervals are useless, I believe they compromise other aspects of your training, jeopardize consistency and that the risk is not worth the reward.

It's easy to get distracted from the topic; obviously cycling, execution, etc. impact performance, but I'm sticking with the run program for now. I took the liberty of assuming that the next logical question would be: If not intervals, than what or how do you get faster? I responded with frequency, volume, duration and consistency, which in turn builds strength, durability and economy in running.

To answer one of your questions: I prefer to keep the weeks balanced rather than intentional reduce the cycling and swimming just so you can run more. This might mean re-thinking what a balanced week looks like; I've always emphasized the run.

What is "needed to pull off that "crème de la crème" sub 3:30 Ironman run split". I think it takes more than 3-4x per week and 4 hrs of running, especially when one of those runs is your weekly long run of 2 hrs (and a few other runs of 30 - 40 min). It takes more than 12 weeks to build a solid running program. I picked those numbers because it seems like that's what most people are doing to prepare for IM; Most people don't run to their potential at IM.

I think for most people to run to their potential at IM they need to change the way they look at their running program. Most will need to run 5x at a minimum; many of the bigger weeks should include 6 or 7 runs. The duration of the runs should build to between :50 - 1:20 so the weekly volume might be as high as 7 or 8 hrs. Long runs are not required every week. Too many people get a false sense of security from their long run and use it to beef up their weekly volume so they don't have to run so often. But when your frequency is lacking you'll feel it during an IM.

I believe strongly in this protocol. I've had the pleasure of seeing my IM marathon time improve every single time (save one) over the last 7 years. Almost every athlete I work with pr'd last year including a 9:53 first time IM with a 3:23 run and Lori Travis running the 3rd fastest in ag (3:38) run split in Kona.

Mitch

Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [Mitch Gold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch,

Great post with some solid ideas.

It touches on a few things that I have learned over the years.

1. Every athlete is a bit different in their training needs

2. Too many people look at the run in a triathlon in a silo

3. If you want to do "well" in an IM or any triathlon, however you achieve it, you better be running fast and strong.

4. It's never a bad thing to take a few months( not in your A race build-up or even within that year) and just run. If you come from a non-running back-ground, build the weekly frequency and then build the volume SLOWLY. Take 6 months and set a goal of setting a life-time best for ther stand-alone 10K by doing all the right things. ALL aspects of a persons running will improve from doing this.

5. Don't over think-it, for the most part just get out and run. . . .

6. . . . but many/most rec- runners and triathletes would benefit from ANY faster paced running - strrides, some faster paced intervals, tempo runs, more standalone running races( 5K and 10K in particular), whatever. Too many are stuck in that rut of same-pace running. It's astonishing to me to see people "race" a 5 K and a 1/2 marathon at the same pace!

7. Run success in an IM is strongly linked to bike fitness and how much of the tank you have used up on the bike. Scan the split times at any of these big IM races - many reasonably impressive bike splits, but also MANY very slow run splits. As I have stated before, if an athlete is SERIOUS about really improving time/place performance, however you do it, the run IS the place to do it.

Gordo's name has been tossed around here a few times and I kow that you are a follower. People can say what they want about G and his ideas( I personally don't agree with all of it), BUT he did take the time to REALLY analyze what was going on in IM triathlon racing and figured it out - ultimately it's going to be about the run. With little formal background or pedigree in running he turned himself into one of the best runners in long distance triathlon racing. HIS success seems rooted in massive bike volume, high run frequency and then on race day a very rational spproach to pacing on the bike. It amazes me that more people don't get this - not G's way of acheiving this, but the strategy itself.

Just some early morning thoughts.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello MItch.

I was thinking exactly about your point about frequency earlier in the year. Due to many constraints, I was on the Tue and Thu 90 min run plus Sat 2 hour run program.

This year, I'm trying to add a 40 min lunch time run on Wed (after a hard early morning 90K ride). Also adding a short 30 min transition run on Sundays, and a short 40 min lunch run on Fri. This should up overall run volume to ~7 hours.

This week though I am trying bigger volume in bike and run:
  1. Mon: 80 min run with hills + 80 min easy bike commute
  2. Tue: Rest
  3. Wed: 2 hour hilly run (done), evening 80K hilly ride with 4000ft climbing
  4. Thu: 80 min bike commute+60 min lunch run
  5. Fri: 60 min bike commute, 3000m swim
  6. Sat: 2 hour run+tempo 2 hour bike after the run
  7. Sun: 5.5 hour Ironman race pace ride with 6000 ft climbing+30 min transition run.

This should put me at 7 hours of running this week. All aerobic in the 7.5-8.5 min per mile pace. ~60 min swimming, ~14 hours riding

There should have been two swims this week, but I chose to take Tue off due to work related constraints and to rest up for a big second half of the week. This is one of my biggest volume weeks. Most weeks will be in the 14-18 hour range.

I do agree that intervals have their place in a run focus or a running program. Its just hard to do with all the swim and bike stuff.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Are Run Intervals useless for most age groupers doing Ironmans? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actualy, Fleck, a lot of what you just wrote fly's in the face of what *I* just wrote and what i *think* Mitch wrote. I'm not saying that I necessarily disagree with you.....but I do have a few issues with how I may be interpereting your post.

It's not about the run......it's about *everything* and striking the right balance based on your own individual needs and background.

I'm not trying to cause conflict, but I've seen too many people in endurance sports jump onto a fad (ie it's all about the run, it's all about speed, it's all about over distance, its all about plyometrics, its all about hills....etc) and sink all of their efforts into that aspect of training completely at the expense of all of their other training.

I think "focusing" on the run may not be a bad idea for some but to ONLY run for several months?? Not even one swim and one ride a week? Do any elites do this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry, I think the point that Fleck is making is that in the "off season" triathletes can benefit by reducing their overall training load by shedding two sports (maybe do one "maintenance" workout per week), and focus on "all aspects of one sport". When we are on these "balanced programs" we have to shed key elements in each sport that a single athlete would do. For example in a pure run program, I'd have a long run, tempo/fartlek run, track work, hill work and a bunch of short filler 20-40 min runs thrown in to get volume up. This is almost impossible to do on the balanced tri program, which was essentially my reasoning for axing "intervals" for the "recovery unit" constrained Ironman age grouper.

This winter, I did this (to some extent with swimming), and I saw great results at my first tri of the year in St. Croix. Now I am "coasting a bit" with my in season swim program, hoping to leverage technique gains from the winter. To some extent, Fleck is suggesting that this is needed to up triathlon running performance "in season"
Quote Reply

Prev Next