Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aquabike Division?
Quote | Reply
Am I just being close-minded? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Jan. 13, 2005) – A suggestion from a USA Triathlon member has led to a pilot race series that takes the tri out of triathlon.

Nine half-Ironman and Ironman distance races have agreed to participate in the USA Triathlon Aquabike Series. Athletes who participate in the races will complete the swim and the bike, but will not have to do the run.

Dean Peterson, a USA Triathlon member from Peoria, Ariz., who recently completed his first Ironman-distance race, came up with the idea approximately five years ago while talking to the instructor of a triathlon class at a local community college.

"I wondered why I didn't see him out at any events," Peterson said. "He said he had had serious knee problems and could no longer do the running.

"I asked him, 'If there was something that was just the swim and the bike, would you do that?' He replied, 'In a heartbeat.' "

During the next five years, Peterson said he approached more than 100 people – from age 20 to 80 – at various events with his idea, and most were very positive.

"I thought, 'let's give some people the opportunity to do two-thirds of the race and still be happy with what they did.' Not everybody likes to run," Peterson said. "Maybe five or 10 years, I won't be running."

Peterson brought his idea to Mike Greer, interim executive director of USA Triathlon and founder of the Buffalo Springs Half-Ironman Triathlon. Greer "ran" with the idea and found eight race directors to join him.

"This will be a pilot program in 2005 and will not be included in the national rankings," Greer said. "However USAT is encouraging the race directors in each of these pilot races to offer appropriate age group breakdowns and awards in each."

The participating races will be:

• St. Louis Halfmax Triathlon (June 5, 2005; Innsbrook, Mo.; www.ultramaxtri.com)
• Eagleman Half Ironman (June 12, 2005; Cambridge, Md.; www.tricolumbia.org)
• Buffalo Springs Lake Half Ironman (June 26, 2005; Lubbock, Texas; www.buffalospringslaketriathlon.com)
• Steelhead Half Ironman (Aug. 6, 2005; Berrien County, Mich.; www.steelheadtriathlon.com)
• Full Vineman (Aug. 13, 2005; Sonoma County, Calif.; www.vineman.com)
• Greater Cleveland Triathlon (Aug. 13-14; Cleveland, Ohio)
• CATS Half Iron Tri (Aug. 20, 2005; DeGray Lake, Arkadelphia, Ark.; www.dltmultisport.com)
• Vermont Journey Half Ironman (Aug. 28, 2005; Salisbury, Vt.; www.vermontsun.com/halfvermontjourney/index.html)
• Prairie Man Long Course Triathlon (Sept. 11, 2005; Grand Prairie, Texas; www.ironheadrp.com)
Last edited by: Amy S: Feb 2, 05 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: Aquabike Division? [Amy S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
isn't that the idea behind relay's? you find a sucker....er.... friend to do the part(s) you don't like?

sounds like an odd thing to me. hopefully that'll be one thing that stays south of the border.

just mho

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Bad Idea. We should also get rid of Duathlons and "Splash 'n Dash"s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you think it's a bad idea? There are a lot of people that can't run due to injury or who don't run because they don't like it. The non-swimmers have the du; the non-runners have this. I'm not sure I see the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Mooseman 1/2 in Bristol NH (June 5th) will also have an aquabike division.
Quote Reply
Re: Aquabike Division? [AmyMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at it this way, it allows more people to race, race directors make more money, cann hold more races and make profit on some that are failing. Net result you win. Maybe it will help keep the non IMNA irons from disappearing.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Aquabike Division? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, good for events that are below their field capacity, but what about many of the better quality races that are already at max capacity? I believe that the capacity is dictated by limitations on the bike or possibly the swim. Greater density on the run is less of a problem, yet this is where the full field won't be participating. I don't like the idea of a triathlete being displaced by an "aquathlete" in a triathlon event.
Quote Reply
Re: Aquabike Division? [Wags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't like the idea of a triathlete being displaced by an "aquathlete" in a triathlon event."

Wow, I never though it would come to the point where athletes actually start to discriminate others who enjoy similar sports just because they are worried about not being able to participate in a race.

Change of times in a grown sport, I guess. Happened with other sports too....

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: Aquabike Division? [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry if my comment wasn't clear. I have no objection to creative variations within the swim-bike-run format for events that have trouble filling to capacity. Someone asked what the downside could be. I think you're reaching a bit to characterize my comment as discrimination (presumably against athletes unable/unwilling to run). As someone pointed out, a swimmer/cyclist can do a relay tri with a runner.
Quote Reply
Re: Aquabike Division? [maybourne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But aren't Duathlons and SplashnDash's usually their own separate events? They aren't divisions in a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's next? A new division in tennis for people who don't want to touch their BALLS!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gosh from the title of this post I thought this would be about one of those peddle boats you see at the local lake for rent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just added an Aquabike division to the Steelhead race and we have 5 people signed up all-ready! Go to www.steelheadtriathlon.com to sign up for the race. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure the race directors can handle it.
Quote Reply