Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More for "swimming" on dray land. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/...ab_channel=DaveScott

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd month in a row we have made the "forum highlights" in the weekly newsletter! Wooo! Keep it up, apparently we are providing quality content :-)

(there's no sarcasm in that at all - really!)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 17, 24 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
welcome back tiger. you been doing any backstroke? can you swim that without any discomfort?

yeah just absolutely hammer those resistance band rotator cuff exercises until your forearms and rotator cuff stop working and that is a good workout. may only take 5 minutes for that to happen or may take 15.

did some mix of strkes today in lcm

400 400 300 300 200 200 100 100 as alternate back and free
2 x (8x100 as 25 fast of stroke, 75 free). this was actually really hard to just keep swimming through. good strength workouts. just got my breath back on the wall for 5 - 10 seconds and went again
4x50 fast of the strokes
2x500 swim steady into 800 neg split
100 faster
500 easy
Quote Reply
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
funny you mention backstroke as prior to the storm that caused the recent flare-up, the PT suggested adding that in. I've been hesitant lately as reaching backward (like to grab something on my nightstand) causes pain, but backstroke is in the plan!

The strength exercises are working since we started them in February; the PT said he could feel more infraspinatus muscle than when we started (he's been poking at it for dry needling). :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I always try to do, barring injury/illness, is at least 20 sessions per month.

I enter today, the 18th, with only 10 sessions so far. 😳 I'm looking at my life-sched over the next 2 weeks, and I have come to a startling conclusion:

I shall swim twice today!! 😂 (11am and 5pm.)

Both sessions are short/sprinty. I'm hoping that the 5pm will see a 50m in 37.5sec - my next step in this "comeback".

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GREAT POST!

I was expecting you to say you were not gonna make it.. then you double down on doing 2x/day!

Swam today

mymainset:
4 x 150 on 2 (building to speed work) so 1:45s or faster on these
8 x 100 on 1:40 105, 104, 103, 103, 103, 103, 103, 102
8 x 100 on 2 alt 1 max 1 easy: fast ones were 1:00. 59.9, 59.1, 58.6

4k total w warm up and some cool down.

Happy to be back under a min and having some feel/power today.

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How nice to be back under a minute daved, my goal is to get one under that barrier, shaved and tapered!!!! And I think that will get me to a 100LCM to equal my age, something wave rider threw out there as a challenge.

Had a thought to do a 1650p TT today as pool was only about 83.5, started it out fine, but got hot and bailed at 1k. Feels like in a cooler pool I can get back to 20+mid/high now though, maybe try next time I'm at a low cool pool...

2x(3x100bouy or pull@1;40/1;30/100frog@2;00) buoys(1;26/24/21)pulls(1;17/16/15)frogs(1;54/51)
1000p@13;30(12;52--6;28/6;24)200frog@4;00(3;41)
8x100p@1;30(1;16/15's)200frog@4;00(3;42)
13x50@1;00 as 3x(2x50buoy/50 stroke/50frog)buoys(42 to 40's)frogs(55's)fly(38)bk(42)brst(43)50buoy(39)
3650SCY in 60 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
8 x 100 on 2 alt 1 max 1 easy: fast ones were 1:00. 59.9, 59.1, 58.6

😳

(That's my "YIKES" face.)

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a mix of everything today and it was ugly I can't remember it all

5x100 300 200 100 free 4x50 fly 600 free. Free as just good honest effort.
4x100 HARD on 140 hold 108-109s (first one was 107)
100 200 300 400 building (from paces 119 to 116-117)
500 easy snorkel 300 on 117
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:
One thing I always try to do, barring injury/illness, is at least 20 sessions per month.

I enter today, the 18th, with only 10 sessions so far. 😳 I'm looking at my life-sched over the next 2 weeks, and I have come to a startling conclusion:

I shall swim twice today!! 😂 (11am and 5pm.)

Both sessions are short/sprinty. I'm hoping that the 5pm will see a 50m in 37.5sec - my next step in this "comeback".

Well, the second session felt tired and I swam 38, dammit.

I won't do this often. 😂

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay for sub-1!

Fri Apr 19

1000 free as 20 x 50 on 1 . Scy; 3.36 mi walk
Feels so good to swim

month for my purposes
M Apr 1- 2000 free, 3300 yd kick
T Apr 2 - 3250 free, 150 kick
W Apr 3 - 2900 free, 400 kick
F Apr 5 - 1800 free
W Apr 17 - 1000 free
F Apr 19 - 1000 free

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 19, 24 6:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YAY for swimming!!!

keep it up

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming. Lol.

I didn't push hard today. My bodybrain is tired.

WU 4x200m + 4x50m.
200m in "tempo" 3:11.
CD 400m.

Noswim tomorrow. WU+800m+CD Sunday. My last 800m was a bit of a slog 13:59. I hope that Sunday is less of a slog 13:40s.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Last edited by: Skuj: Apr 19, 24 12:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the lake for some real swimming!

Across in 21 (started with breast stroke, then head up, then normal).

Back in 15.

An unusually windy day at Whonnock.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Anyone have any Ctretchcordz workouts they'd recommend? For days I don't get to the pool, it would be good to get some training in.

Some threads (from the COVID years, I bet):

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...wim%20cords#p7169761

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...wim%20cords#p7490888

I did well with workouts that used short sets and lots of repetition, sessions that were 20-45 minutes. Like:
8X30 sec of one arm pulls w 30 sec rest with a light cord
8X20 sec of fly w 30 sec rest w a heavy cord
(etc.)
Quote Reply
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scy. a couple of sets that are versions of one another (with no rest after the 100s).

3x
50 on 1:00
75 on 1:30
100 on 1:50

3x:
50 on 1:00
75 on 2:00
100 on 1:30
Last edited by: apmoss: Apr 20, 24 5:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a double today. Morning in an outdoor 50m unheated 19.3 degrees for a brisk 1200m then a bit of an afternoon loosen after a drive home today. Nothing much was feeling good but still nice to loosen out

Hey lots of negativity in the media at the moment in regards to the Chinese swim team. I can’t pretend to understand every aspect of the criticisms of the USADA chief as to the way WADA handled this but it’s pretty terrible from a fans point of view wanting to enjoy fast swimming, without uninformed views

Sun yang is remembered for smashing his blood vials with a hammer but the situation didn’t play out like that

Now the 23 Chinese swimmers have all been doped on TMZ , apparently, but there is a good amount of grey surrounding it all

Don’t know why I am so sympathetic to the Chinese swimmers but I am.

Must just all show how many difficulties and flaws the anti doping process has, given separate national and inconsistent procedures marred by an inherent conflict of interest
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunday Apt 21: 2.25 mi run (20 min), 1000 yd swim, 200 kick, 1 mi walk

Bit of infraspinatus tendon pain which was unexpected (adding running may be irritating it?)

10 x 100 on 2 easy
200 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 x 75s doubles on long rest

8 x 25s fast* on :30
Quote Reply
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
10 x 75s doubles on long rest

what's "doubles"?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey lots of negativity in the media at the moment in regards to the Chinese swim team. I can’t pretend to understand every aspect of the criticisms of the USADA chief as to the way WADA handled this but it’s pretty terrible from a fans point of view wanting to enjoy fast swimming, without uninformed views//

I too have been following this Chinese story, but I'm not as conflicted as you are. First of all I'm very upset with USADA, more so than the swimmers. No doubt the swimmers are all part and parcel of an integrated national doping plan, you really dont get to do things like this individually there, and they always seem to think they are beating the system there, much like Russia. I dont think it was inadvertent, but I do think the choice is not like we think about here, more like forced..

But USADA is going to get really hurt here, and now most likely a ton of retroactive medals being taken away and awarded to next in line. And so many times that other single athletes have been popped for what they claimed was inadvertent, and sometimes actually proved so, but were all made public with the positive..

So most of my anger is at the system right now, and secondly at the country. Like the East Germans of my time, hardly a choice for the young athletes in their teenage years, and later when mature enough to understand, too sucked into the system to buck it...Probably some have, but we will never hear about those folks, probably working in some factory in some far away land...
Quote Reply
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm happy that I swam 5 sessions over this last week (Monday to Sunday). But I'm sad about how the last few sessions have felt. Sometimes you have to accept that you are in a tired-slump phase. That great session is always just around the corner!

My "post retirement" hobby job is working at a record store. And yesterday was Record Store Day. 8 hours non-stop on my feet may have something to do with today's tired session.

Sometimes we go to the pool and think "Bitch, I'm gonna kick yer ass today!". And it happens. But on other days - the pool wins.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
But USADA is going to get really hurt here, and now most likely a ton of retroactive medals being taken away and awarded to next in line. And so many times that other single athletes have been popped for what they claimed was inadvertent, and sometimes actually proved so, but were all made public with the positive..

Do you mean WADA, and not USADA? I think that this has created a lot of negativity and some of the posts made by the athletes (particularly the GB team members) has been quite spiteful, which speaking for myself, detracts some of the enjoyment and excitement I had for these games. Swimming was on quite a good run since Sun Yang has been out.

I am not sure more 'transparency' is actually always that beneficial. We certainly don't have transparency on TUEs, which are regarded as 'legal doping'. I mean many of the fittest athletes in the world have multiple TUEs (I have heard some athletes having up to 8 or 9).

But a real problem with this is that there is no consistency - we probably assume that cases of contamination involve a provisional suspension and then a process to establish the contamination. However, how many cases don't we hear about it where the national federation sweeps in and does an investigation and then notifies WADA. Cynics may say that Swimming Australia has been quite silent / non-combative in its public statements because it has adopted a similar approach (investigating, then notifying WADA - rather than provisional suspension).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mom Apr 22- 2000 yd swim, 2 mi walk

20 x 100 on 2

Tiny bit of pain on the last two. Not sure the stroke technique was perfect (on the whole set)- idk how much I was using “old” stroke. Long process of rebuilding

Felt good to be in and proud of self for not running as did that two days in a row and am
JUST back to it - and hamstring felt a little tight, so played it super safe

month for my purposes
M Apr 1- 2000 free, 3300 yd kick
T Apr 2 - 3250 free, 150 kick
W Apr 3 - 2900 free, 400 kick
F Apr 5 - 1800 free
W Apr 17 - 1000 free
F Apr 19 - 1000 free
Sun Apr 21 - 1000 free, 200 kick
Mon Apr 22 - 2000 free

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 22, 24 6:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 x 50s doubles* on medium rest.
10 x 25s doubles on :30
Drills

*Doubles = anything in IM order, twice, with a free on each end. A method of making 10 of something, I would guess. A leftover from my old, old club team.

So:

Free
Fly
Back
Breast
Free
Fly
Back
Breast
Free
Free

Zany? Effective? Who knows. I never got to do them as a younger athlete, since I could not do any of those other strokes. Now it does not matter if I can't make the back sendoff! :-)
Last edited by: apmoss: Apr 23, 24 8:33
Quote Reply

Prev Next