Re: April Fish [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorta, kinda sprint day

5x100@1:30 1:14~1:08
5x100@1:25 1:07~1:11
10x50@1:00 alt br/bk was getting the br's under :40, bk - not quite as fast
10x50@:45 alt ez/hard :34~:31

2400 sc yardages

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep meaning to post and keep up with these threads again as I've started swimming 3x per week (only 1-2 most of the winter).

Monday's main set was 10x200 with odds as 50 fast/100 t pace/50 fast and evens building by 50s. Total 3100 SCM

Today was a main set of 40 x 50 on :45 as 4 x every 4th fast, 4 x every 3rd fast, 4 x every 2nd fast, 4 x fast. This wipes me out every time I do it. Total 3300 SCM.
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, you comin' down for Provincials?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know. I'm probably going to be in Halifax for a weekend in the near future and if it's that one I may be able to but I don't know yet. I'll be sure to sign up for the 50 Breast if I do though. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd just be one more in the long line of people crushing my dreams...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8.5 mi run, 2000 yd easy swim

5 x 150 swim/50 kick
2 x [100 swim + 100 drill + 100 swim + 100 kick] once in free, once in backstroke
200 c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming with 'anger' this AM... don't ask!

1000s 12:34
5x100 various kicks
500s 6:06
5x100 s/k cool

2500 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8.5 mi run and 2000 yds easy for me. Swimming with fatigue here.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
man, some fast intervals and deep workouts getting posted, eating some humble pie over here...

500wu
100-400 up and down ladder on 1:30 base (~1:21 pace)
5 x 100k @ 2:00 IM order (~1:50 ave)
200IM cd

3200 scy

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [rdmyers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4/22 Morning Swim
800ez
fins on 8x100 odds kick evens drill
Main Set (for each part 1-2 were pull, 3-4 swim, 5-6 pull, 7-8 swim)
8x75 hard, 75ez (:55 on swim, :57-8 on pull)
8x50 hard, 50ez (:34 on swim, :35-7 on pull)
8x25 hard, 25ez (:15.5ish on swim, :16.5 on pull)

200ez pull/paddles to cooldown for 4200scy

Later in the day I did an easy 2.6mi run and an hour of weights.

4/23
90' AM trainer ride with some ball-buster VO2 intervals (4x3', 4x1.5', 4x.5')
lunchtime 4.5 mile (30min) with 5x2' pickups
did about 30min of core as well afterwards

Two pretty solid days for me!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ok gotcha! Always good to set lofty goals.

Won't bore with the listing of the entire workout b/c I'm not focused on threshold/distance so probably won't apply to most here, but had a great breakthrough day. Been busting through a fitness barrier since I was essentially out from late summer until last month.

I have a set I like to do periodically b/c it's fun to mix in different strokes, but also b/c it tests my range of being able to hit the gas, recover and get back into gear.

10 x 125: 50 sprint, 25 back cruise, 25 build, 25 sprint

Doesn't sound very tough, but dang it grates on me. Jack the HR up, get plenty of O2 and recovery my freestyle muscles a bit on my back, flop over for a 25 build and then hammer home. Was touching on 1:26-28 for all 10 so that let me know some speed and range are coming back yay day!
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Apr 24, 15 4:52
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
300 choice
200 pull paddles optional with 15s rest
4x50 build on 60s
800 steady with last 200 fast with 30s rest (10:34)
600 steady with last 150 fast with 30s rest (7:56)
400 steady with last 100 fast with 30s rest ( 5:15)
200 steady with last 50 fast with 30s rest (2:35)
100 ez with 30s rest
100 all out (1:05)
300 choice

3200 SCM

I really wanted to go under 1:05 for that 100 as I keep hitting that number in practice but can't seem to sneak under it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 1:05 scm off a push is still darn fast dude especially for someone who spends most of their time doing long threshold workouts! For someone doing primarily pool sprint training sure it's more common, but I'd be that 1:05 would disappear for you if the workouts were tailored for that. Tough to have all your cake at once! The only time you will see me doing over a 200 in a pool is for warm up or cool down....EVER! I still enjoy hitting the Gulf for a few OW swims every year though. The ocean/bay is already so gross hot down here now I doubt I will be back in until fall. Disgusting it's mid 80's water temp in April!
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Apr 24, 15 5:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm really not complaining. :)

I don't do long sets like that very often, my coach tends to start adding them in as I get closer to race time. 200 and under is the typical norm for me. I found that 800 incredibly mind numbing!

Oh and we still have ice out on the open water!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:

I don't do long sets like that very often, my coach tends to start adding them in as I get closer to race time. 200 and under is the typical norm for me. I found that 800 incredibly mind numbing!

Dude ice? Born in Chicago....I despise cold weather. Seeing that 800 make me want to cry, it's one thing in open water.....to stare at the line that long though ouch I just don't have it mentally any longer. I need all four strokes mixed in with kicking and lots of variety. when I think back to my long course tri days and how I managed all those long sets.....just don't want to make my brain do that any longer. Good on you for the discipline to do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
around here, looks like the northwest arm is finally ice free, but the lakes are still iced over. I wouldn't try to skate on it, but it's still there :-(

Nice swims. That seems like you're going a bit better than you were last year.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

Dude ice? Born in Chicago....I despise cold weather. Seeing that 800 make me want to cry, it's one thing in open water.....to stare at the line that long though ouch I just don't have it mentally any longer. I need all four strokes mixed in with kicking and lots of variety. when I think back to my long course tri days and how I managed all those long sets.....just don't want to make my brain do that any longer. Good on you for the discipline to do it!

Yeah, for those of us who don't wear wetsuits, I probably won't swim any open water until at least mid-July.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a nice set!!

This morning, with drag suit:
600ez
Fins on 6x100 odds kick evens swim
Main Set
20x100 on 1:40 all 1:16-1:18, last one 1:14.9
16x50 pull/paddles every 4th fast
100ez cd

Legs were tired but swam well (for me). Planning on lifting weights later.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
around here, looks like the northwest arm is finally ice free, but the lakes are still iced over. I wouldn't try to skate on it, but it's still there :-(

Nice swims. That seems like you're going a bit better than you were last year.

Yeah, it's coming around a bit. 3 swims/week for the next month should get me in decent form for tri racing.

You must have some shallow lakes that will warm up fairly quickly if the sun ever comes out. We've only got one and it's a 40 min drive from home, other than that it's the ocean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, there are a couple of options within a 3 minute drive from the house :-)

The ocean gets reasonably warm up your way. Here, it's only the top 6 inches that gets warm enough to swim in. 'effin North Atlantic....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 24, 15 5:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Yeah, there are a couple of options within a 3 minute drive from the house :-)

The ocean gets reasonably warm up your way. Here, it's only the top 6 inches that gets warm enough to swim in. 'effin North Atlantic....

Looks like Lake Banook is already open for you!

https://www.facebook.com/...eos/1110338285662505
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This morning's swim:

1000ez
fins on 8x150 kds odds back evens free
Main Set (3x through)
20x25 pull strong on :25 (swam :17-:18)
200 fast paddles/buoy (2:33, 2:34, 2:32) on 2:45
4x50 easy on :50

then 100ez back to cooldown for 5000scy

Question for the fishies here..has anybody ever followed Dave Salo's SprintSalo program, or heard anything about it?? His workouts are very high intensity, 3-3.5k. I'm thinking of using it starting after my DL race next Sunday. I'm planning on doing a good summer of swimming 5-7x/week (upping frequency again), but logistically (as far as having a car to drive, and still biking and running), I won't have much more than an hour each time. Maybe 70 minutes sometimes.

Salo says he's had great results with guys using the program up to 400m, and that it translates well to 800m as well.

Curious to hear your thoughts!

Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't swim yesterday. Instead had an awesome 24 mile bike followed with a 5 mile run on the OC Triathlon course with my sister. Yeah, she's pretty fast. She'll be racing duathlon at Zofingen this year.
But back in the swim today with, first, a 1.8 mile ocean swim in 61 deg water. (I can't wait for it to be a bit warmer to tolerate double or even triple that distance).) Drove over to the pool, shivering, and jumped in the 83 deg water for another 3000 yards.

1000s 13:02
5x100 various kicks
ladder [200/150/100/50/50/100/150/200]@1:30 base
2:28/1:46/1:08/:33/:34/:1:09/1:48/2:24
5x100 alt bk/br as 25k/50s/25k

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alberta Provincials Meet Report...

The meet was compressed to a single day in 2 sessions due to lower than usual entries. Meet held in Grand Prairie, great newish 10 lane 50 m pool set up as 10x25 SCM. The warm water teach pool has 3 x 25 m lanes for LCM meets as well.

Session 1
1500 Free - 17.13.17
100 Fly - 1.01.51
200 IM - 2.19.46

Session 2
200 Bk - 2.19.91
200 Fly - 2.15.74

I swam 17.18 in the 1500 last year at the same meet. My 800 split was 9.04 last year and this year it was 9.06. Looking at my splits much less drop off... strong splitting in the 200 Bk and 200 Fly...

200 Fly

200 Bk

200 IM

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

Yeah, for those of us who don't wear wetsuits, I probably won't swim any open water until at least mid-July.

I bet the lakes are deliciously nice mid summer though? I'd always opt for cold water and heat up with a wetsuit if necessary than have to loathe the syrup bog of our temps 7 months a year. Pool chillers are glorious right now if your facility has one down here in FL. I love hot weather and air temps, but geez I simply cannot seem to acclimate to hot water temps if I'm going to swim hard. I overheat so fast and just feel nauseous.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Apr 26, 15 6:50
Quote Reply

Prev Next