Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: April Fish [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, nice work. I'll continue to put in the time!!

This morning:
(With drag suit, first time wearing one)
800ez
8x100 fins odds kick evens drill
8x75hard/75ez (1-2pull, 3-4swim, etc) (hard was :58 for pull/:56 for swim)
8x50hard/50ez (same deal - pull hard was :36ish, swim :34)
8x25hard/25ez (same, pull :17, swim :15-:16)
4x25 all out kick
2x50 hard/paddles/overkick on :45 (:33ish)
4x25 all out kick
2x50 hard/paddles/overkick on :45 (:33)
4x25 all out kick
200/150/100/50 long and easy pull/paddles
5000scy

Drag suit definitely adds a larger strength element to the workout!! I'll be using one regularly for sure now!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what kind of drag suit? mesh or pockets?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mesh. Got it cheap. Any rules of thumb on how much time they cost?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 pair, although they are nominally the same size, one pair is bigger and stretchier than the other. The "fast" pair are about 2s per hundred slower than a pair of regular old speedos, the slow pair are about 3 s slower, as a guess.

I usually wear the slow pair, unless they've been sitting wet in the car on a winter day. Then I put on the dry pair...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik, it was awesome to finally meet you in real life after like 6 years of knowing you.
Slowtwitch amazes me.
I haven't been posting much because I'm not really running or biking these days, but here were my results from the Oregon Associations meet.
I had a cold and seemed to move in and out of good swimming, but I was pleased overall
50 Free 24.3 leading off a relay, 24.5 the next day (pretty tired)
500 5:12.92 (this was kind of slow, last day of the meet)
1000 10:43.97 I reckon this was my best swim
1650 18:16.79

100 fly was a 57 low, didn't feel any power. Breathing every stroke probably didn't help either...
200 fly 2:08.92

Some things to work on for the summer...but it's always fun to swim.
Mark, we missed you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my opinion is stay away from drag. It changes form and not in a good way. I grew up swimming with drag suits, everyone did back then. But I think programs have largely moved away from it.

Did a staple set. 1500 warm up then 20 x 100's on 1:35. Goal was 1:14 for all 20. Started out at 1:13 crept up slowly. Missed the goal three times. After the first 2 misses I did an easy 50 on a minute to get back on track. I missed on # 19 but decided just to gut it out and went a 1:14 on the last one.

I attribute the 3 misses to only being at 85% because of the race I did this weekend. My 3 month goal is to do this:

20 x 100's on 1:35 target pace 1:12 on all of them. I think if I do that I will swim sub 18:00 at USAT age group nationals (That course is not 1500M and it is wetsuit legal).

100 warm down.

3700 SCM
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't feel like form changes at all with the drag suit. just a little more resistance, but basic body position is the same and all that good stuff. Hell, we are changing the drag equation when we shave down and put on a tech suit anyway. Taking off the drag suit, to me, makes the tech suit feel even more awesome!

Back in the day, there were guys who trained with the old style drag suits, the ones with pockets. Those I think aren't good for training everyday, because they don't drag "evenly" and the resistance is too much. but a mesh one is fine.

I also like to wear it because everyone else in the fast lane at masters wears one, at least those of us capable of leading the lane. Keeps us all on an even footing in practice.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 15, 15 8:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pool toys day today. A good friend of mine and rather knowledgeable swim/tri coach (coachjustin) was on deck coaching a couple of swimmers next to me. I couldn't help but think he was silently critiquing me the whole time!

w/u
500 build from easy to hard (200, 200, 100)
m/s
5 x 100 paddles
5 x 100 free
5 x 100 buoy
500 build from moderate to hard
w/d
500 alt between easy free and back x 100.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
took yesterday off from swimming to recover from the meet a bit. 8.5 mi run instead

today 7 mi run, 4500 yds. Hadn't planned to swim that far but my shoulders got all good and achy and I actually love that feeling.

All of this on a 1:30 base
2 x 400
3 x 300 #1 and 3 fast (3:45, 3:40)
4 x 200 # 2 and 4 fast (2:25, 2:26)
5 x 100
3 x [100 stroke + 100 kick + 100 free]
400 c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's some fast distance swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jumped in for a quick swim at lunch (1500m)

mostly farting around warming up (bit of pull, bit of kick, a few drills, bit of backstroke).

4x100 @1:35 (1:11, 14, 14, 10)

8 x 25 mixing fly drill, kick, and fly on roughly :40. technique focus. I feel like I need more extension at the front of my fly to get my hips up a bit.

1500 scm

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I don't feel like form changes at all with the drag suit. just a little more resistance, but basic body position is the same and all that good stuff. Hell, we are changing the drag equation when we shave down and put on a tech suit anyway. Taking off the drag suit, to me, makes the tech suit feel even more awesome!

Back in the day, there were guys who trained with the old style drag suits, the ones with pockets. Those I think aren't good for training everyday, because they don't drag "evenly" and the resistance is too much. but a mesh one is fine.

I also like to wear it because everyone else in the fast lane at masters wears one, at least those of us capable of leading the lane. Keeps us all on an even footing in practice.

I don't think the body position is the same. To get as high in the water, you're going to have to press something else down. One can feel this even more with a tech suit.
Swimming is a technique sport--practice going fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno....

I don't feel like my body position is any different, especially not in freestyle or back. maybe a bit more effort to get the hips up in fly, but it isn't like the suit is weighted, it isn't actually pulling me down. I don't think that the suit is a benefit to training either, FWIW. It's just a suit, what matters is what you do with your arms and legs (and brain, and core, and .....)

In any case, I don't think it hurts to wear it. I like it mostly because it is colourful (nice lime green one!!) and they last a really long time. Oh, and because I don't really feel like showing off my junk to the ladies i swim with. the drag suit is a LOT more modest.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trexlera, yes, i missed you too. I'll keep my eyes open for another meet this year. in the meantime, will i see you at 'nationals' :-) (foster lake)?

HS, i'd say see you at the 10k in 2016... but in 2016 the US Masters National Championships is coming to Oregon. Yeaaaa! I'll have to find the dates. I assume it will be 50m.

Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I dunno....

I don't feel like my body position is any different, especially not in freestyle or back. maybe a bit more effort to get the hips up in fly, but it isn't like the suit is weighted, it isn't actually pulling me down. I don't think that the suit is a benefit to training either, FWIW. It's just a suit, what matters is what you do with your arms and legs (and brain, and core, and .....)

Drag inherently is body position. It is the opposite of lift. It is not that the suit catches water to slow you down. It is the suit catches water and lowers your body position. We call that drag.

But I do agree with you to a point. It is just a suit. Swim hard and the rest doesn't matter that much. The question is at what point does it matter. Suit with pockets is probably too extreme. A slow suit is, well, debatable.
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSliceRS wrote:
in the meantime, will i see you at 'nationals' :-) (foster lake)?
I'd love to make it...
I'm also looking at the Bridge Swim. Wanna go 11 miles downstream?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a solid set. What do you think is the equivalent for SCY?

Solid swim this morning and glad I was 2nd back.

MS: 5x300@4:00, 5x50k@1:00, 5x200p@2:30, 5x50k, 5x100@1:10, 5x50k

5300scy

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same set in yards is pretty close to 22 x 100 @ 1:25, holding 1:05 to 1:07's

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you doing CapTex? For the first time in 5 years I am not.

For clarity sake: I swim in SCM. If I swim in LCM I note it.

I think 20 x 100's on 1:30 holding 1:04 (scy) is equivalent to my goal of 20 x 100's on 1:35 holding 1:12. Using the 1.093 divisor 1:12 in M = 1:05.8 in Y but for me it just doesn't work that way. So I pretty much agree with Jason, I think I would be 1:05 / 1:07 in yards right now depending on the day.

900 warm up
4 x 100's on 1:35 kick swim by 50. Hard effort. Went 1:25 on all 4
20 seconds rest
16 x 75's on 1:05 avg'd :56 I was pretty consistent. Went a :55 on the first one, :56 for the next 13, :57 on # 15, and :55 on the last one.

200 warm down

2700M in 42 minutes

Friday June 5 I will test set the 100's . I hope to accomplish the goal by then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice swim times for you and TC! I thought I posted that earlier... maybe didn't hit the POST button.

Right now, it doesn't look like I'll make it up for the Bridge Swim. I'm pushing to be the overall points leader in the Southern California OW Swim Series and the Pier-to-Pier swim is the day prior to Bridge.
It also doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do the National 10k in Livermore as that's the day my daughter does her commencement - graduated from UCLA. I guess I have to be there for that. But, that same day is the Seal Beach Roughwater swim. I'm hoping to squeeze that in that morning. And, it's part of the OW Series.

This AM:
1000s
10x100 alt k/s 1:07/:06/:04/:04/:03
5x100 alt bk/br
100s cool

2600 sc yardages

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm up in the air right now for captex. Fell back in march while running with my dog and the hip is just now coming around. You should come back in the fall for the Austin tri. A better course in my opinion.

Solid swim times there. Looks like you're right in track for nationals.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSliceRS, do you think you'll make it to Hagg Lake? I am eyeing that right now.

8.5 mi run, 2000 yd swim

500 w/u
5 x 100 on 2:00 held 1:14s
400 swim
8 x 50 half of them kick, half of them drill
200 c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing this Saturday!! 300M pool swim (too cold for OW here in VA just yet), 10mi bike, 5k run. There's a few other junior elite guys racing, so I'll get to see how I stack up after a decent winter of training. Also, I did this race last year and the course hasn't changed, so I'll get to gauge my improvement that way. I'll definitely get in a good warmup to work out any issues going from scy all winter to racing scm.

Had a good swim this AM (with drag suit - I'm going to use it as long as I (or my coach) don't notice bad habits developing)

500ez
fins on 5x100 odds kick evens drill
20x100 on 1:40 first one 1:15, rest were 1:18 and a 1:16 on the last one (happy with that set - couldn't make it without drag last week)
fins on 2x(4x50 hard on :40, 50ez on :60)
10x50 long and smooth pull/paddles on :45
100ez cd
4100scy

Tomorrow is pre-race day, so just an easy 20-30min jog, striders, and maybe some stretch cords to keep the swim muscles working. I'm really only "tapering" for 1.5 days - taking this afternoon off and tomorrow is super easy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
TriSliceRS, do you think you'll make it to Hagg Lake?
That will be two weeks before my IM70.3 Victoria... i think i'll be working on the bike and run... (I don't need to work on the swim)...

Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
...I'm also looking at the Bridge Swim. Wanna go 11 miles downstream?
VERY tempting. Let's see... Hmm... The day before (July 11) I am going to ride from Seattle to Portland (STP) in a day... 202 miles. So, why not an 11 mile swim the next day. Easy peasy. I wonder if my legs would cramp and send me to the bottom. Let me see if i can convince my wife that drifting for a day is fun.

Prev Next