Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: April Fish [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!!!!!! (I've got my first tri of the year on the 18th, a little 300M swim/10mile bike/5k run deal to tune up for an elite cup on May 3rd).

Also, Jason - that's some fast swimming.

This AM, tired on Friday like always (yesterday was a hard morning ride and a pm run):

400/300/200/100 skps
fins on 4x200 100k/50dr/50build
4x50 @ :45 get ready avg :38ish
Main Set (added another rep from last week):
17x100 on 1:40 avg 1:19, fastest was first one @ 1:14, slowest was 9th at 1:20
3x100 on 1:40 paddles avg 1:15 (just to make it an even 20x100)
4x25 all out kick
6x50 build
4x25 all out kick
20x25 easy IM order to cooldown

5000scy

I was feeling shot when I got in the pool today - legs burning during warmup. Blech. Definitely slower than last week, but this was actually a confidence builder for me - in October, tired meant repeated 1:22 on 2:00. Today it was 1:19 on 1:40! I just didn't have the turnover I wanted today, legs were wiped so I couldn't try to work the turns. Still, swimming 1:19s tired is massive improvement for me.

I'll lift weights later, most likely. This has been a *bigger* week for me!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boy it feels great to be back in the water. Planes, trains and automobiles ackckckck.

Slowly building my yardage back up and yesterday was the first day I felt comfortable being uncomfortable.....almost over the hump!

1000 skip sans breaststroke and single arm/butterfree no fly too out of shape!
Warm up set 10 x 50 on 60
5 x 125 50 cruise 50 build 25 sprint. Got #3 and #4 to 13 mid/low so some speed is coming back
8 x 50 kick 25 cruise 25 sprint all streamlined on back. I am afraid to look at the clock on kick sets my legs ache and it's lame.
200 easy back
6 x 75 25 cruise 50 sprint. 2nd one sub 30 the rest progressively slower bonkish wallish long way to go
200 easy back
300 pull
300 swim down(more like drinking water on wall)
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Apr 10, 15 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mile is tonight, and the 500 is tomorrow / 1000 on Sunday or maybe the other way around. Also the 50, 100, 200 whenever they occur. I filled the paperwork out and thought "hmmm I should start practicing other strokes"

8.5 mi run this AM and a 500 yd shakeout swim

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool, good luck!!

let us know how you do....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20:42 in the mile last night. Won for the women, I think. No real race report. I dove in, swam 66 painful lengths while questioning why I was doing this to myself, and got out.
I decided I do this because it feels good when I stop.

trexlera swam circles around me multiple times.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are live results posted online anywhere yet? Or do i have to wait?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't find any this AM

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week I did my 1000 TT just to check if there is a progress.
There is!

After being on plateau for about 3 month (16:30 more or less) my time finally started to improve.

short course 1000 yds in 15:21, not my best but close.

Last year in May'14 my 1000 yds TT was 18:08
I have improved 2:47 so far, and still have about a month to train for more improvements!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go, TC! Looking forward to your other races. I know what you mean about mid-race self-doubt. With the mile out of the way, the rest is cake! Good Luck!

I did another ocean swim. The water is getting colder – 63 deg. I was about 10 minutes late to the gang taking off, but I pushed it and caught them by 3/4 mile - the Main Beach buoy. They turned back so I went solo to Shaw's Cove and back. Cold, but felt great and swam hard. Ends up being about 3 miles. I hope it warms up a few more degrees soon as I want to double the distance.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice swim!!

I was tired this morning:

1000 ez
fins on 8x150 on 2:25 50k/50dr/50swim, odds bk evens fr
Main Set:
3x(20x25 fast pull ri:05, 200hard pb/paddles, 4x50ez)

Swam the 25s in :18ish, the 200s hard were 2:42/2:40/2:38 (happy with that, I couldn't pull for s**t a few months ago, all kick)

100ez cd

5000scy

This afternoon I got on the trainer for a beating:

2hrs with 3x20' tempo/sweet spot, 5' recoveries in between

Good luck with the rest of your races tc!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
20:42 in the mile last night. Won for the women, I think. No real race report. I dove in, swam 66 painful lengths while questioning why I was doing this to myself, and got out. I decided I do this because it feels good when I stop. trexlera swam circles around me multiple times.

I can't believe i can't join my Oregon fish this weekend. (Kid duties.) Nice swim, TC. I've never actually done a 1,650y (we usually swim meters). And I dread the next time I try to swim the 1500m 'coz it is going to hurt.

Because I can't race this weekend, and i needed to be quick today, i jumped in and swam 3850 in 56 mins. c/d to 4,000 scm. Traveled to Europe this week, and now I am 6.4 miles behind again on FLOG.

Good luck with the rest of the meet, TC and Trexlera! Don't beat up on the CGM team too much.

Edit: dang, the results are on iPhone app MeetMobile... But this year there is a $2 monthly fee! The horror.

Last edited by: TriSliceRS: Apr 11, 15 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8 mi run and ... 1000 in 12:22.57 which I think put me 4th female OV. I was happy with the time. However, I decided to run this morning and missed the 100 ... and showed up 2 min after they had seeded the 1000. They put me in (I am very grateful!) but I was in the first heat. Color me super embarrassed to have shown up late :P

trexlera had a good swim too but he can tell you about it when he checks in.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job there TC...

I had an OK meet. Did 200fly for the first time since 1993, it used to be my best event. Used to. Took it out in a nice relaxed 1:07 mid, started feeling tough at the 125, and the upright piano fell on me at the 150. At the 175, the upright was accompanied by the baby grand, with the Steinway at 10m to go. Final time was a 2:30 point something....painful, stupidly painful.

50 free was ok, completely missed the turn though (almost face planted). 27.4

100 free I seeded at a 59.99. Final time 1:00.01 I was really wanting to get under a minute.... 2 hundredths.....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bummer about the minute! and two fly is hard. Nice job :)

I ran 5k this morning and then I think I got in about 2800 yards at the meet. 6:04 in the 500, and 2:19 in the 200. I space-cadeted and missed the 50. I wasn't paying attention and all of a sudden it was like ooooh I'm supposed to be swimming right now - and, 30 seconds later I had missed the heat. Oops.

I started too fast in the 500 - I have never done that before, and it was quite the experience. All of a sudden my forearms were just frozen with lactic acid, and I could not move fast even though I was trying. I don't remember it being painful, or maybe it was and I was too confused by "why aren't my arms working?" trexlera will probably describe this as "TC was over a body length ahead of the swimmer next to her, then I looked down, and when I looked up they had changed places." Anyway, I split a 1:07 for the first 100 which I am proud of because I have difficulty doing that in a 100 or 200... LOL... going out too fast was such an interesting experience that I may try to do this in practice just because it is a new, fun thing for me. (Well, it was "fun" because I ended up with an ok total time...)

splits for the mile (20:42.13)
1:11
1:16
1:17
1:17 (6:17 for the 500)
1:15
1:16 (6:21 for the second 500 = 12:38 for the 1000)
1:14
1:14 (6:14 for the third 500)
last 50 0:36

splits for the 1000 (12:22.57)
1:09
1:16 (6:11 for the 500)
1:13

splits for the 500 (6:04)
1:07.58
1:12.43
1:13.88
1:15.36
1:15.61

splits for the 200 (2:19.97) do not have yet

Final note is that I am never disappointed when I meet other ST'ers. They are just awesome, fun people.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's a good thing to "take it out too fast" at least once in a while. Sometimes you will surprise yourself and the "too fast" pace really isn't.

Which reminds me last night's main set:

2x (5 x 100 as 25 K, 25 Drill, 50 Swim - IM order plus choice) - did these on 20s rest

2 x (100 fast
75 fast, 25 ez
50 fast, 50 ez
25 fast - fly, 75 ez
100 ez)
did these on 2:00 to try to keep the pace high. the last 25 of the 75's got really hard. fast 100's were 1:09 and 1:07

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been lazy this April in posting, figured I should post something this morning.

I strained something in my abdomen which has made running and swimming uncomfortable. Fairly certain it's not a hernia as the heaviest thing I ever lift is myself off the floor. But when I sneeze, it feels like I've been stabbed.

3000 SCY

w/u
300 easy
4 x 50 hard
m/s
2 x 400 with core shorts
2 x 300
2 x 200
2 x 100
w/d
300 easy
200 kick/back x 50

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are sweet splits, TC. At least for the mile and 1k! :-)

Quote | Reply
Thanks.

9.5 mile run and 1800 yd swim this AM

5 x 100 on 1:30
100 kick
5 x 200 on 3:00
200 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of the pool another 8 days last week from being sick, then had a sprint race this weekend, I'm pretty sure was supposed to be 750m swim;

500-600m (?) bay swim - we got some bad or confusing swim course description on the rainy race morning to swim to "the furthest orange bouy", but during the race the remains of previous wave were turning at the next-to-last bouy. Me and at least one other guy continued on based on what we were told, I was thinking about Andy Potts at CapTexTri a few years ago getting wrong swim instructions. We got most of the way to the last bouy (~100m) when a kayaking safety watcher paddled over yelling, "go back, you went too far". Turned and ground the red outa my eyes all the way back to shore. Ugh.

Later heard from one of the faster female swimmers she saw a bunch of people turning at an even earlier bouy. First time I've ever experienced that in a race. Gave me some sympathy for people who complain about drafters. Wouldn't have affected me much in this race, maybe moved me from 7th to 5th, but still kinda frustrating.

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [rdmyers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's frustrating....

I had a pretty good swim tonight too.

Main set
5x100 pull on 1:30
50 ez
5x100 pull on 1:30
50 ez
2x100 pull on 1:30

Held 16's on the first set, 14's on the second, 13's on the last. Was quite pleased considering that my pull is usually at least 3-4s slower than my swim.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few good ones recently, including a nice mental breakthrough. Most of the group is tapering for nationals so the swims are starting to get lonely. After a long warm up the taper group had 10x100@2:15 kinda building the fast part of the 100. The rest of us had 20x100@2:15 holding a race pace. Was tempted to do the taper workout but coach gave the set and said as an example that it would be BA to hold 1:04s. After a 1:05 to start, I went 1:03s and 1:02s for the rest. Very pleased and tired. Nice to be held accountable.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's flying. Out of curiosity, do you have any sort of a swim background? I've read through some old fish threads and your improvement has been incredible (to say the least). I'm 17, trying to improve in the water - any advice on volume, workouts, etc? I've got a junior elite cup on May 3, and after that I'll be back into a swim focus for a while.

Again, I'm super impressed with your swimming; I'd love to pull off what you have.

This morning - back to school meant a 4:45 wakeup call to swim -
500ez
fins on 5x100 odds kick evens drill
15x200 pull on 3:00 every 3rd paddles, took it easier 1-9 (2:50-2:53) before digging in a little bit for 10-15 (2:43-2:46)
4x25 all out kick with board
4x25 sprint free 1 breath (got to :14 high)
100ez back cd
4300scy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oregon results are posted. I got tired of waiting for trexlera to tell us how he did.

Imma take him down in the 100 fly next month (converted, of course....)

He crushed the 2 fly. And the 500. And the 1000. And the 1650, and his 50 free was pretty good too......

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: April Fish [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I really appreciate that. It's taken lots and lots of yards and time in the water. I started swimming at 21, so about 7 years ago. Was the classic swim a length and feel like you were going to die swimmer. Previous experience in the water was breast stroking laps while a lifeguard.

If you stick with it and swim with faster swimmers, you will be lapping me soon. I've maintained a consistently high volume (for triathletes) of 25-35k, and have made it a point to swim at masters. With the exception of surgery and a few other things, I'm never out of the water for 2 days in a row. It's hard work. I've been stuck a lot of different times at a certain level and didn't think I'd get faster. Main thing is to keep at it, watch other swimmers, and always be present during your swims.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll crush it!

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice times, TC!

I'm frustrated. My plan was to swim the 10k Nationals at Livermore. I can't now because my daughter's graduation ceremony is that day. I thought I'd have a really good chance to win.
Well, same day, but local, is the Seal Beach Roughwater 3 miler. Maybe I can squeeze that in before the ceremony.

This AM's workout
1000s 12:32
5x100 various kicks
500s 6:07
4x100 s/k cool

2400 sc yardages

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next