Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:

You know, quantifying the number of calories you consume is mostly meaningless unless you know the number of calories you expend. It seems like you have an idea of your exercising output, so go to the doctor and have them measure your resting contribution. You can estimate it from several available formulas, but indirect calorimetry is the best available method. You'll have to make us something, like, "I feel tired all the time" in order for insurance to pay for it though.

Totally agree that indirect calorimetry is the only way to really know - even our best equations have a standard deviation of +/- 1000 kcals. But, in most hospitals, you’ll have to be a burn victim to get it. Not really fake-able.

More likely to find it offered by a university performance lab or sports dietitian.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
randomtriguy wrote:
Dude, your body is screaming at you to eat more. So eat more.
Lost 95 pounds of fat and have kept it off. :)
Awesome-sauce

Be Uncommon
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [dboatx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now, as pretty much a pure runner training for Marathon distance, I would guess 2800-3200 per day and fairly thin.

When I was really training for IM, 2x/day, 6-7 days per week, I was routinely eating 4-5,000 per day. People at work made fun of me, but I couldn't eat enough.......

My food intake has always been dictated by my activity level. If I am training like crazy, I am really hungry. If I am sedentary, then my hunger tapers way off. It's a nice life skill to have.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [greenjp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greenjp wrote:
domingjm wrote:

You know, quantifying the number of calories you consume is mostly meaningless unless you know the number of calories you expend. It seems like you have an idea of your exercising output, so go to the doctor and have them measure your resting contribution. You can estimate it from several available formulas, but indirect calorimetry is the best available method. You'll have to make us something, like, "I feel tired all the time" in order for insurance to pay for it though.

Totally agree that indirect calorimetry is the only way to really know - even our best equations have a standard deviation of +/- 1000 kcals. But, in most hospitals, you’ll have to be a burn victim to get it. Not really fake-able.

More likely to find it offered by a university performance lab or sports dietitian.

My mom had it done at the local hospital. I'm pretty sure the doctor just instructed her to say she felt weak and tired all the time. But she was also pre-diabetic at the time, so that may have influenced the go-ahead. Your doctor would know how to get something like that approved.

Edit: but it's a great suggestion about checking with universities. I just had a DXA analysis of body composition and bone density performed as part of a research project with one of IU's physical therapy investigators. And I got a $50 gift certificate for it. A couple phone calls to research departments might be well worth everyone's time, for a number of different assessments.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Last edited by: domingjm: May 11, 19 18:14
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
1.78m (5ft 10)
83kg

If I eat more than 1500 calories I gain fat. I know it's not normal. I'm working through it.

I do a heck of a lot of fasting and am in the middle of Ranadan as well (food only at 5:30pm onwards)

Are you gaining fat or is your weight going back to normal as your glycogen stores are replenished? How are you measuring fat gain?
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [Bioteknik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bioteknik wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
1.78m (5ft 10)
83kg

If I eat more than 1500 calories I gain fat. I know it's not normal. I'm working through it.

I do a heck of a lot of fasting and am in the middle of Ranadan as well (food only at 5:30pm onwards)

Are you gaining fat or is your weight going back to normal as your glycogen stores are replenished? How are you measuring fat gain?

I used to think it was just glycogen or water extension. So I went low carb to test it. At 2k calories, my weight slowly increased each week.

I know there is a heck of a load of variables with calories but roughly for me 2k is too much. If I run for an hour a few times a week, I don't don't gain anything
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
1.78m (5ft 10)
83kg

I used to think it was just glycogen or water extension. So I went low carb to test it. At 2k calories, my weight slowly increased each week.

I know there is a heck of a load of variables with calories but roughly for me 2k is too much. If I run for an hour a few times a week, I don't don't gain anything

Are you basically sedentary?
I ask because you mention 'if' you run an hour a few times a week, whereas I assume that most people here talking about eating 4000kcals per day are training for 90 minutes or more per day, every day.

It is possible that your BMR is lower than 2000, but I don't buy it when people say that they train for hours per day and eat 1000kcals and don't lose weight (or just keel over due to lack of energy!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Approximately too many.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
1.78m (5ft 10)
83kg

I ask because you mention 'if' you run an hour a few times a week, whereas I assume that most people here talking about eating 4000kcals per day are training for 90 minutes or more per day, every day.

It is possible that your BMR is lower than 2000, but I don't buy it when people say that they train for hours per day and eat 1000kcals and don't lose weight (or just keel over due to lack of energy!)

I can send you my input and output if you want. I record almost down to the gram quite anal.

On average I'm 1k under per day and don't lose weight. Average 1400 ish calories training 8 hours a week
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What constitutes "training"? 1400 is lower than most people's BMR.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
1.78m (5ft 10)
83kg

So using a generic calculator, your RMR should be around 2000 calories per day (with some expected smallish margins for error +/- 200 calories or so). That's not including regular daily activity or all the training. You either have EXTREMELY low muscle mass, a metabolic disorder, or you're recording your intake wrong.

I'm 100% sure you'll ignore this though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
NUFCrichard wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
1.78m (5ft 10)
83kg

I can send you my input and output if you want. I record almost down to the gram quite anal.

On average I'm 1k under per day and don't lose weight. Average 1400 ish calories training 8 hours a week

Could you give an example day of what you eat? Do you include oil, butter, sauces, drinks etc in your calories?

If you have ever watched Secret Eaters, you'll forgive my skepticism! Lots of people there claim to eat 1500Kcals per day, but actually eat 5000+!
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

1 kg of spuds? LOL - that's some serious taters!
question - are you married or have kids? - Personally i find it difficult to stick to any strict regimen while also being in charge of feeding the rest of the family (need to make them all happy or at least not mad at me)

Schnellinger wrote:
4-6000kcal most days. More towards 6000 on double/triple threshold session days and more towards 4000 on easy days.

Typical day:

M1: 60g of serial with 30g of whey 80 with milk (and jam/honey for double/triple days)

M2: 100g oatmeal, 30g whey 80, 50g of raisins, 1 banana, 40g nuts, some berries, salt, cinnamon and milk.

M3: 200g pasta/rice/couscous with 3 eggs and veggies

M4: 100g oatmeal, 30g whey 80, 50g of raisins, 1 banana, 40g nuts, some berries, salt, cinnamon and milk.

M5: 1kg potatoes/sweet potatoes with 125g of Salomon. Approximately 300g of beans and veggies + mushroom on top of that

In addition sports drink during sessions, post workout fruit and/or protein shake, in between snacks if I'm approaching -30 in training peaks (but then I know it is time to let go of the gas too).

191cm
82kg
17hours/week over the last year, 21hours/week last 3 months.

Hope this helps.

PS: yes, I weigh my food. I am a freak
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly.

Some people do in fact need to increase their caloric intake to lose weight but that is because their BMR is so suppressed, they need to get it back up.

Slight restriction usually works well for many.

A key would be to find why your BMR is, then add activity and see what your daily caloric needs are.

She's not wrong at all, but I think for you specifically you need more information before that statement can hold validity.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No kids, only a GF who knows I'm a freak and is ok with it. When we are on family trips I always take charge of the kitchen. I try to opt for healthy/low cal versions of sexy meals. Lasagne with light cheese (10% fat and no one has noticed yet), veggie burgers with a shade darker bread, low cal tortillas, pizza on cauliflower (and it was a winner!) etc. But I guess it is different doing it for 10 days vs doing it every single day. At the same time I don't think an "unhealthy" dinner needs to spoil anything if you are able to plan the rest of the days accordingly. Hell, eating a bit extra after a massive session probably gives you some extra gains ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
It most certainly is not. A fit person of average build and weight, say 6' and 180 lbs, will need about 2000 - 2500 calories per day to maintain their health and weight - on days that they do no training. Add just a simple 56mi bike ride and you need an additional 2000 calories. Another 400-500 calories if you swim 1.2 miles before biking, and if you run also...well you need to add some more. 4-6K is a good ballpark figure.

If you just putter about while training, or just do one thing per day then you don't need 4-6K. Or if you are merely exercising to lose weight, then the calorie intake would be less. But if you are training to get stronger, 4-6k is in the ballpark.

Who here is doing a 70.3 each day in training? 3-4k doesn't seem outlandish for a typical day, more on bigger weekend/long days, but 4-6k every day feels outlandish to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
NUFCrichard wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
1.78m (5ft 10)
83kg

Could you give an example day of what you eat? Do you include oil, butter, sauces, drinks etc in your calories?

If you have ever watched Secret Eaters, you'll forgive my skepticism! Lots of people there claim to eat 1500Kcals per day, but actually eat 5000+!

Sure, I get it, unless you prepare a meal from scratch you will never know and tbh then its also about how cooked the food is and how much you chew etc etc

But 90/10

Yesterday was a relax day and I was eating out with friends.

Woke up. I had a coffee and a water. Then fasted till 5:30

Another coffee and two waters.
350g chicken
1 cup bone broth
80ml cream
Spices

Then

One lamb shank
Half a cup of potato mashed
One piece of bread roughly weighing a medium slice
And three glasses of wine

Without wine its 1400 and with its 2k.

Just an example. I like to use examples from as close to the day as possible and I always put drinks in and weigh food.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triracerboy wrote:
1 kg of spuds? LOL - that's some serious taters!
question - are you married or have kids? - Personally i find it difficult to stick to any strict regimen while also being in charge of feeding the rest of the family (need to make them all happy or at least not mad at me)

Schnellinger wrote:
4-6000kcal most days. More towards 6000 on double/triple threshold session days and more towards 4000 on easy days.

Typical day:

M1: 60g of serial with 30g of whey 80 with milk (and jam/honey for double/triple days)

M2: 100g oatmeal, 30g whey 80, 50g of raisins, 1 banana, 40g nuts, some berries, salt, cinnamon and milk.

M3: 200g pasta/rice/couscous with 3 eggs and veggies

M4: 100g oatmeal, 30g whey 80, 50g of raisins, 1 banana, 40g nuts, some berries, salt, cinnamon and milk.

M5: 1kg potatoes/sweet potatoes with 125g of Salomon. Approximately 300g of beans and veggies + mushroom on top of that

In addition sports drink during sessions, post workout fruit and/or protein shake, in between snacks if I'm approaching -30 in training peaks (but then I know it is time to let go of the gas too).

191cm
82kg
17hours/week over the last year, 21hours/week last 3 months.

Hope this helps.

PS: yes, I weigh my food. I am a freak

I hear this buddy. Sometimes we will just skip meals after how crazy our boys are with food. #privi
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
1.78m (5ft 10)
83kg

So using a generic calculator, your RMR should be around 2000 calories per day (with some expected smallish margins for error +/- 200 calories or so). That's not including regular daily activity or all the training. You either have EXTREMELY low muscle mass, a metabolic disorder, or you're recording your intake wrong.

I'm 100% sure you'll ignore this though.

Why would I ignore? It's quite rational to assume, also auto immunity or a gut digestive issue or I'm eating 12k on a day I'm not recording.

But this thread isn't about me :-p I just adding to the average
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably average 2500. 122 lbs, 5'6", female. I've been running 40-50 miles per week, swimming 4-6k a week, and sometimes I get on my bike.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure, I can only answer too many.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of them. Nothing gets left on the plate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly have no idea how many calories I eat. I don't track my intake at all. I don't like the idea of micromanaging what I consume, as I don't really see any benefit - trying to balance it with the optimal amount based on my activity seems misguided. There's too much we don't know about nutrition and metabolism to be able to do it with confidence (i.e. it's based on a false sense of knowledge and precision). I generally eat pretty well, tons of vegetables and fruit. I eat meat everyday, but not a lot. Most of my grains/carbs are whole grains. But I have some dessert (though a modest portion) and alcohol (beer) pretty much every day Which is all to say I don't feel like I deprive myself at all, in terms of what I eat. I like food too much for that. FWIW, I'm a 43 year old guy, 5'10", 150 lbs, muscular build and pretty low body fat. I train ~8 hrs per week.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Not sure, I can only answer too many.

All my clothes make me feel sausage-like lately. Your statement is truth.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how much calories do you eat a day? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I probably average 2500. 122 lbs, 5'6", female. I've been running 40-50 miles per week, swimming 4-6k a week, and sometimes I get on my bike.

Sheesh, Im 142 6ft Male and workout about a little more than you, yet we eat roughly the same calories. I should eat more.
Quote Reply

Prev Next