Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Appropriate "tip" for LBS helping me on short notice?
Quote | Reply
My LBS is doing me a HUGE favor taking in my bike today for some urgent work and promising it will be done before a race Saturday. How can I show my gratitude? Buying a bunch of stuff there I don't really need doesn't seem like the right thing... greasing the palm of the mechanic (who didn't make the call) doesn't either. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate "tip" for LBS helping me on short notice? [milo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy some beers and doughnuts for the staff.
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate "tip" for LBS helping me on short notice? [milo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Telling them they did a nice job to their face and thnking them is a huge gesture too. We always hear about the mistakes we make, and we all make them. But it really makes your day (week?) when someone shows gratitude for missing a night's sleep to get bikes ready for a race.

Donuts aren't a bad idea either... Coffee too. In general, stimulants are good. A customer gave me a case of Red Bull last week when we hooked her up big time. That was awesome.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, it should be noted that services rendered by bike shop guys, even above and beyond the call, do not necessarily require any additional remuneration. It is a refelction of your good nature that you are willing to consider such a thing, and that speaks well of you...

But it should never be expected by bike shop guys.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate "tip" for LBS helping me on short notice? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom, appreciate your response here and to my question last week about the Hed 3 wheels that I was having problems with (wouldn't spin freely after some serious rain mis-treatment). Here is what Andy at Hed replied:

I think you will want some grease. If you race this weekend, you can't do any

damage, but the bearing might start to get tight again. It is a cheap part,

only about $5, most shops have this size bearing around. it is a 6001 size. If

you go to a shop, tell them not to remove the cassette body to do the work. It

can be done without removing the body - IF THE BODY IS REMOVED, THE WHEEL WILL

NEED TO COME BACK HERE FOR RETRUING. Retruing is only $20, but the time and cost

of shipping the wheel back and forth are a hassle. -Andy

This is the work (along with a now squeaking pivot on the Softride beam - also probably related to the rain ordeal) the LBS is doing. I think I'll go with the Red Bull idea - thanks again.

Milo

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Food and beverage (I have sent a case of beer or two) usually goes a long way. Plus email or write a t'you note--

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply