Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Apple watch for swim - HR
Quote | Reply
Hey
So my 14 year old swimmer son had a little heart scare - ectopic atrial tachycardia. He's doing fine. The doc is not demanding constant heart rate monitoring bc he's going to be able to feel if he has another episode (and he'll be on meds too for a bit). However he is asking about wanting to be able to monitor his HR - he may also see this as an opportunity to get dad to buy him a sympathy present (smart kid). I'm a garmin guy and honestly never really check or care about my HR while swimming. So if we got him an apple watch which version should be looking at. I know optical sensors are mediocre at best but looking for anyone who does base training on HR and can speak of the usability and accuracy.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Apple watch for swim - HR [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you want it to be accurate and verifiable?
Quote Reply
Re: Apple watch for swim - HR [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. And to hopefully avoid a chest strap if possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is not what I would recommend for accurate readings while swimming hard, but for your son it should work well enough. I imagine he'll be at the wall asking it to verify what he's feeling in his chest anyway so it should be able to do that just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Apple Watch SE and it is not good (useless) for recording my heart rate while swimming.

It is actually very good for auto-lapping splits and analyzing stats using the swim.com app (the built-in swim app is not great).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW - I have heart issues as well and have had reasonable success with a Garmin 945. I under
stand you want to avoid a HR strap but, the Garmin swim HR strap has worked well for me. If I slide the watch up my arm an inch or so and tighten it, I will get reasonably accurate HR info without the strap.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Apple watch for swim - HR [konaboysteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love if he wanted a garmin. I have a 945 and could give him mine. That would give ME an excuse to get the 965 😁
Last edited by: klorene: Oct 21, 23 12:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a good solution to me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another option to consider is the polar verity. you can wear it under the goggle straps against your temple. can download to polar app on phone. I have 255 and heart rate accuracy measured at wrist is iffy compared to strap. don't use heart rate much in swim training, though.

salmon - not because I'm a fish
Quote Reply
Re: Apple watch for swim - HR [salmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmon wrote:
another option to consider is the polar verity. you can wear it under the goggle straps against your temple. can download to polar app on phone. I have 255 and heart rate accuracy measured at wrist is iffy compared to strap. don't use heart rate much in swim training, though.

If he's a competitive swimmer this is probably the best option. I haven't had great luck with chest straps in the pool.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
Hey
So my 14 year old swimmer son had a little heart scare - ectopic atrial tachycardia. He's doing fine. The doc is not demanding constant heart rate monitoring bc he's going to be able to feel if he has another episode (and he'll be on meds too for a bit). However he is asking about wanting to be able to monitor his HR - he may also see this as an opportunity to get dad to buy him a sympathy present (smart kid). I'm a garmin guy and honestly never really check or care about my HR while swimming. So if we got him an apple watch which version should be looking at. I know optical sensors are mediocre at best but looking for anyone who does base training on HR and can speak of the usability and accuracy.

Thanks in advance
I’ve done a number of side-by-side swims with my Garmins and Apple Watches, and the HRMs are both very good. I have not done chest strap comparisons, but the wrist numbers between those two match. And they match my perceived effort. The AW HRM is considered excellent. I would start there and move to chest strap if needed.
Quote Reply