Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone use Powercranks?
Quote | Reply
If so what do you think of them? Whats the purpose exactly? If I wanted to add them to my winter training, should I strap em on my Road or TT bike, or does it really matter?

Thanks for your help,
Chris Viskup

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Powercranks? [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This should be good......

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

dude, do a search in the forums, you will find a zillion postings....

------
"It's easy to be hard, it's hard to be smart"
Last edited by: C Bass: Jan 16, 10 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Powercranks? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This should be good......

no shit, get the popcorn out and kick the feet up, we're going to be here a while.

------
"It's easy to be hard, it's hard to be smart"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Powercranks? [C Bass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a pair on www.bonktown.com 80 % off.

Quote | Reply
I thought about putting a pair on my extra bike and giving them a try, maybe use them once a week, but even the basic for $900 is a big pill to swallow.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Powercranks? [Forward Bias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I thought about putting a pair on my extra bike and giving them a try, maybe use them once a week, but even the basic for $900 is a big pill to swallow.
PC's require a pretty good commitment to the idea to see the benefits. 1 day a week is unlikely to result in enough benefit (or, even, any benefit) to justify the cost. One day a week might be ok as a maintenence use after adaption but it is a bad plan as a way to change technique.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Powercranks? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One day a week might be ok as a maintenence use after adaption
Define adaption.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Powercranks? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Define adaption.
Adaption can mean many things but in this context I would say it means after you have achieved most of the improvements the cranks have to offer. One day a week use is unlikely to result in much further improvement from where anyone is now, wherever that person is now, IMHO. Such use would be a particularly terrible way to use the cranks in the beginning. Don't waste your money if that is your intent.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am literally laughing out loud at this one. i have never heard of that word. a cross between "adoption" and "adaptation" maybe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Don't waste your money.

There. Fixed your reply.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Powercranks? [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i am literally laughing out loud at this one. i have never heard of that word. a cross between "adoption" and "adaptation" maybe?

Hmmm. you are the first to ever comment on my use of that word. So, I did a little search. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/adaption

It would seem that adaptation is a better word but adaption (see 7 below) is actually a word and what we are talking about is a "slow, unconscious change" so it is probably appropriate.

ad⋅ap⋅ta⋅tion  /ˌædəpˈteɪʃən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation[/url] [ad-uhp-tey-shuhn] Show IPA[/url]–noun 1. the act of adapting. 2. the state of being adapted; adjustment. 3. something produced by adapting: an adaptation of a play for television. 4. Biology. a. any alteration in the structure or function of an organism or any of its parts that results from natural selection and by which the organism becomes better fitted to survive and multiply in its environment. b. a form or structure modified to fit a changed environment. c. the ability of a species to survive in a particular ecological niche, esp. because of alterations of form or behavior brought about through natural selection. 5. Physiology. the decrease in response of sensory receptor organs, as those of vision, touch, temperature, olfaction, audition, and pain, to changed, constantly applied, environmental conditions. 6. Ophthalmology. the regulating by the pupil of the quantity of light entering the eye. 7. Also, a⋅dap⋅tion  /əˈdæpʃən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation[/url] [uh-dap-shuhn] Show IPA[/url] . Sociology. a slow, usually unconscious modification of individual and social activity in adjustment to cultural surroundings.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Powercranks? [Forward Bias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I thought about putting a pair on my extra bike and giving them a try, maybe use them once a week, but even the basic for $900 is a big pill to swallow. "

I've used them with good results and I'm a big believer in PowerCranks. I've ridden them exclusively and the reason many don't see improvements is because of the mindset that once or twice a week is enough. Down the road yes, but definitely not initially. I think the money back guarantee speaks for the product and if you use them enough during that three month period, I think you'd keep them for a couple years longer after that to really get used to the 360degrees force application in your pedal stroke.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank,

I thought originally, and despite this post still do, that it was a simple mispelling but wasn't going to be the spelling police on it.

Your attempted recovery is good, but I still believe you meant adaptation, because despite being able to find a defintion, when you google "adaption" it specifically asks do you mean "adaptation" and there is no 1., 2., 3. definition sites that usually pop up hwen you use a real word.

That's okay though, we know what you meant.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Chrissie wins because she trains really f'ing hard and races really f'ing hard and was blessed with a huge f'ing motor" Jordan Rapp
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Powercranks? [Crmurphy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Frank,

I thought originally, and despite this post still do, that it was a simple mispelling but wasn't going to be the spelling police on it.

Your attempted recovery is good, but I still believe you meant adaptation, because despite being able to find a defintion, when you google "adaption" it specifically asks do you mean "adaptation" and there is no 1., 2., 3. definition sites that usually pop up hwen you use a real word.

Yes, adaptation would be a better word. But, "everyone" knows what I mean. It is a crazy thing about the English language. I guess I am lucky that I grew up with it rather than trying to learn it as a second language.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

Good Post on Lance's Pedal Stroke - I copied a paragraph from it on that one for you because they talk about the same topic re: adaptation to a new cadence ;-)

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Chrissie wins because she trains really f'ing hard and races really f'ing hard and was blessed with a huge f'ing motor" Jordan Rapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If so what do you think of them? Whats the purpose exactly? If I wanted to add them to my winter training, should I strap em on my Road or TT bike, or does it really matter?

Thanks for your help,
Chris Viskup

Save yourself a lot of money and grief>>>>>

Learn 4-plane hip rotation exercises and develop the same muscles at your gym + keep your current crank set. There is no question that developing those muscles helped me a little bit in my cycling and running, but you don't need to put a grand in someone's pocket to do it.
Last edited by: ride2eat: Jan 16, 10 14:26
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Powercranks? [Crmurphy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Frank,

What's "defintion"?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How to Kill a Thread, Top 3 Ways [Rahzel]

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Powercranks? [ride2eat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Thanks for your help,
Chris Viskup

Save yourself a lot of money and grief>>>>>

Learn 4-plane hip rotation exercises and develop the same muscles at your gym + keep your current crank set. There is no question that developing those muscles helped me a little bit in my cycling and running, but you don't need to put a grand in someone's pocket to do it.
The issue is not whether one can develop some sort of exercises to better train those muscles but whether it is possible to do 5-6,000 reps of those exercises in an hour to replicate the stresses put on them by cycling.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Define adaption.
Adaption can mean many things but in this context I would say it means after you have achieved most of the improvements the cranks have to offer.
And how do you know when "you have achieved most of the improvements the cranks have to offer"?

That is, what is your quantitative/qualitative measure?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Powercranks? [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey let me know what you think of them,

80% off on bonktown, which ones did u get and how much did it cost u

Member HED, Cervelo, De Soto Mafia
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use Powercranks? [Koncity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was kidding around I think Frank Day is the only retailer/ manufacter of them.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Define adaption.

Adaption can mean many things but in this context I would say it means after you have achieved most of the improvements the cranks have to offer.

And how do you know when "you have achieved most of the improvements the cranks have to offer"?

That is, what is your quantitative/qualitative measure?
Well, I would say that is when the improvements slow down to no more than that expected from the "normal" training one is doing. It would be an individual thing as to how long that takes and how much improvement that person will see.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply