Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone tried Oakley prizm golf for cycling?
Quote | Reply
I just ordered Oakley Flak 2.0 prescription sunglasses today for riding and also for general use. When choosing a lense colour, I saw that the one they had on display for road riding looked to dark. I was planning on getting something rose-coloured, since I usually ride early in the morning, and often it’s still dark when I start my ride. I wanted something versatile that would provide some protection in the sun, but still be good in low light or in shade, and ideally that I wouldn’t have to take off when I’m in the coffee shop (remember, they’re prescription so they help me see).
Of the ones they had on display in the store, the one that was labelled as Prizm Golf was the one that seemed like they would best suit my needs in terms of intensity. I have to admit I also thought the rose colour looked really cool with the black frames. I do not golf, but I figured I am better off to trust my instincts and my lighting needs, rather than be concerned about their marketing, but now I’m second guessing myself. I see looking online that there may be a road version that is rose-coloured (the one I saw was brown and dark). I wonder if there’s a big difference. The golf one is supposed to be better for showing shades of green, whereas the road one is supposed to be better for showing imperfections in the road. I’ve ordered them, but I can switch. I can even return them no questions asked within 30 days.
Does anyone have any experience with the golf lenses for riding?
Last edited by: AndyCaleb: Mar 30, 19 12:46
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Oakley prizm golf for cycling? [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the dark lenses but my wife uses the rose tinted lens. Her eyesight isn't great and she uses them with contacts. They suit her
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello AndyCaleb and All,

I just bought new Oakleys ..... my wife wanted me to have some glasses that didn't look as odd (to her) as my previous Oakleys (I think they are Radars) with white frames and red temples .... red iridium polarized lens.

I was partial to the old ones since they were given to me by Oakley at an Ironman race. ..... however .....

The new ones .... had 4 lens types to pick from ..... standard ..... polarized ..... PRIZM ..... or polarized PRIZM ..... I went with the polarized PRIZM lens.

Lots of lens colors to pick from ..... I went with plain gray .... my wife was happy.

There were 3 lens shapes to pick from ... I went with the 'Path' .... The 'Range' is a larger lens and might be better with your head way down when looking forward ....

I went to the old Oakley HQ at One Icon, Foothill Ranch, CA to test the different lens.

The polarized PRIZM lens are interesting as they accentuate colors .... with regular lens colors are attenuated and tend to gray out .... with PRIZM the colors look brighter .... sort of like going from black and white movies to technicolor when you put the glasses on.

The temples are black with a gray lens .... wife says they will look better at weddings and funerals ....

So far I like the technicolor effect when looking through them ..... suppose it could become addictive?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the prism road, and they are good across a range of light conditions, but if anything are not quite dark enough for really bright days here in California. Tradeoff is they are more suitable at dusk.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Oakley prizm golf for cycling? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the 'trail' and they are great for rainy / cloudy days and dawn/dusk but not dark enough for sunny days. So I'm hunting for some darker lens.

I swapped from the old polarised G30?G40? lens on the RadarLocks which I found perfect for almost all conditions, apart from mountain biking where it was too dark.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Oakley prizm golf for cycling? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the replies.
So just to provide an update, after my post last week I ended up switching my order from prizm golf to prizm road for 2 reasons. Firstly I read lots of online commentary and the concensus seemed to be that it's not just marketing -- the prizm road lense apparently really is optimized to provide better contrast for spotting pot holes and other defects on the road. Secondly, I discovered that the lense they had labelled as prizm road on the shop display was mislabelled! The prizm road is actually not dark brown at all, in fact it is pretty close in colour and intensity to the prizm golf one that I so admired, even nicer looking. So now I'm really stoked to get them and try them out. They should arrive within the next week. I'll try to post a review as to how they compare with my regular non-cycling-specific sunglasses that I've been wearing for years.
By the way I was back in the shop today and noticed they still had the mislabelled dark brown lense in place of the road prizm lense, a week after I had showed them the mistake. Of course the lab where the glasses are being made is an Oakley lab and completely separate from the shop that is authorized to sell them, so hopefully product quality will be better than customer service!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Oakley prizm golf for cycling? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: 1poseur1: Apr 7, 19 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Oakley prizm golf for cycling? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello AndyCaleb and All,

I just bought new Oakleys ..... my wife wanted me to have some glasses that didn't look as odd (to her) as my previous Oakleys (I think they are Radars) with white frames and red temples .... red iridium polarized lens.

Lost me at "I had to switch up my sunglasses because my wife/mom does not like the looks of what I wear now...."
Last edited by: 1poseur1: Apr 7, 19 6:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Prizm road and use them for golf as well. I know you said it wasn't just marketing but there's not enough of a discernable difference to me that the next pair I get, I'll go with a cheaper option.

They're great and there is a subtle difference but I do feel it's a good way to use marketing for an extra markup. I have other cheaper glasses and lenses and I don't find myself feeling like I am missing anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the prism golf on a ride, started well but then I kept hooking across lanes of traffic

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the prizm road lenses in Flak 2.0 - love them - the only negative I have is that if you look at your skin, you looked sunburned!

The fit is great, they're comfortable and they don't seem to move when cycling or running in them, and they're close enough to regular sunglasses that they don't look out of place then just out and about.

I've had mine a couple of years now, and I've toyed with the idea of getting a prescription pair but the cost is eye-watering from Oakley...
Last edited by: p9ul: Apr 8, 19 7:39
Quote Reply