Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone shop at Temu?
Quote | Reply
I never have but was curious about what they sell. They sell everything and the prices are ridiculously low. I looked up some bicycle parts: carbon handlebars - as low as $36; carbon water bottle cage - $2.17; bike bibs - $12.50, Kleo bike cleats $6.48; bike shoes with knockoff boa laces $36.

I know Chinese stuff has been available for years on Ebay. And buying products with safety issues (like bars) is obviously risky. However, Temu wants to compete against Amazon so they can't sell pure crap if they want to survive (at least I don't think they can). I have read that they lose on average $10 per order and are prepared to do so until they build their market share.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone shop at Temu? [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been a purchaser of Chinese carbon bike parts on eBay for years but I won't touch Temu or Shein. Reason: likely forced labor in supply chain.

"Not even a facade of compliance" - https://www.freedomunited.org/...ades-responsibility/

Look up "Temu slave labor" or "Temu forced labor" and click around. Unsettling.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone shop at Temu? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great! Another site swamping our markets with cheap knockoff s@#$*t.
Most of the Chinese stuff’s origin is highly questionable and is a real danger to our economy.
I go above and beyond to not support these sites/vendors/plagiarism and try my best to buy US made products whenever it’s possible.
I’d love if more people would see it that way, and rather support domestic vendors, manufacturers, and jobs over the Chinese.

I love rim brake bikes!
Last edited by: DavidNeu: Feb 19, 24 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are losing $10/order not because the quality is high, but because they are spending tons on advertising (online, super bowl, etc.).

They sell much of the same stuff you find on alibaba, wish, etc.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about Temu but I've gotten a lot of stuff from AliExpress, for example: TPU tubes, aero water bottles, jerseys, computer mounts, tires, etc.

Usually much cheaper than Amazon and super easy to order. Just keep it below $800 per order or something like that if you're in the US so there's no duties.
Last edited by: rhdevries: Feb 19, 24 17:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm quite skeptical about this. If you look deeper into it the majority of the accusations come from US textile and garment industry lobbying groups. It's still good to look into but it's definitely a political/lobbying issue as well.

Anyways, everyone can and should make their own decision, just like whether to buy "union-made" or not.

DrAlexHarrison wrote:
I've been a purchaser of Chinese carbon bike parts on eBay for years but I won't touch Temu or Shein. Reason: likely forced labor in supply chain.

"Not even a facade of compliance" - https://www.freedomunited.org/...ades-responsibility/

Last edited by: rhdevries: Feb 19, 24 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone shop at Temu? [DavidNeu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidNeu wrote:
Great! Another site swamping our markets with cheap knockoff s@#$*t.
Most of the Chinese stuff’s origin is highly questionable and is a real danger to our economy.
I go above and beyond to not support these sites/vendors/plagiarism and try my best to buy US made products whenever it’s possible.
I’d love if more people would see it that way, and rather support domestic vendors, manufacturers, and jobs over the Chinese.

While not on Temu, I've bought a lot of carbon parts from China. All are very high quality.

I'd trust China carbon more than anyone else's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:
I have read that they lose on average $10 per order and are prepared to do so until they build their market share.

I have read that their parent company PDD Holdings, whose shares you can buy on the Nasdaq, is profitable, and that its market cap is around $180 billion, and that with over 60 billion orders a year Temu would have to take nearly 4 times its market value in losses every year for it to be true.

But then again, maybe it was all a dream and your taxi driver is right 😂

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Thank you for posting this. No need to buy shit products from overseas anyways.
Quote Reply