Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone running 1x12 shimano on tri bike?
Quote | Reply
If so please share details/parts needed.

Would this work using a sram red axs aero crank? I believe so but welcome any feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone running 1x12 shimano on tri bike? [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Off topic ... zooropa is 30 this year. Wembley August 1993 was awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The basic recipe for 12 speed di2 Tri and TT bikes can be found on bettershifting.com.

What you will find is that Shimano has little interest in serving the Tri/TT market. Basically the 12sp group is a hodgepodge of the old 11sp group with the derailleur and battery from the 12sp group. The mashup of the two generations add a couple of adapters to the mix, so the 12sp group has none of the new wireless features with all the costs.

The chain and chain rings on the SRAM 12sp are not compatible with the Shimano chain and cassette. The rollers are slightly larger on the SRAM stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone running 1x12 shimano on tri bike? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
The basic recipe for 12 speed di2 Tri and TT bikes can be found on bettershifting.com.

What you will find is that Shimano has little interest in serving the Tri/TT market. Basically the 12sp group is a hodgepodge of the old 11sp group with the derailleur and battery from the 12sp group. The mashup of the two generations add a couple of adapters to the mix, so the 12sp group has none of the new wireless features with all the costs.

The chain and chain rings on the SRAM 12sp are not compatible with the Shimano chain and cassette. The rollers are slightly larger on the SRAM stuff.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I had thought as much but wanted to verify…I really prefer shimano but they have made it difficult to do so on tt/tri bikes…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I still built a 1X 12sp Shimano bike because I am not a fan of the small chainrings and the flat top chain.

One topic that isn’t clear in any documentation is the mix of brake calipers and levers. I did the new 12speed Ultegra calipers with the 11sp DuraAce levers and it seems to be working fine. I am not sure if I am getting the extra 12sp pad clearance, but things seem to work as well or better than my Ultegra 11 sp road bike. I have also run my crank with both an 11sp and12sp setups and my Wattshop narrow-wide chainring has worked with both. So while Shimano would like everyone to believe that there is no compatibility between 11 and 12 sp groups, they seem to play together reasonably well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about to build a tri bike with SRAM AXS with the pulley wheels swapped out and shimano chainrings and a shimano cassette.

Based on my research the parts should play nice together because it's the sram teeth spacing which is incompatible. will report back what I find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Well I still built a 1X 12sp Shimano bike because I am not a fan of the small chainrings and the flat top chain.

One topic that isn’t clear in any documentation is the mix of brake calipers and levers. I did the new 12speed Ultegra calipers with the 11sp DuraAce levers and it seems to be working fine. I am not sure if I am getting the extra 12sp pad clearance, but things seem to work as well or better than my Ultegra 11 sp road bike.

Definitely! Yep! Keep in mind that 10% of 'almost nothing' is still very little though :)

grumpier.mike wrote:
I have also run my crank with both an 11sp and12sp setups and my Wattshop narrow-wide chainring has worked with both. So while Shimano would like everyone to believe that there is no compatibility between 11 and 12 sp groups, they seem to play together reasonably well.

Yeah.. I have used my 11-speed front ring with my 12-speed Di2 no problem for about a month.

I did find it to be noisier than my 12-speed ring, but maybe my 11-speed ring is just worn. I have only tested one, so can't tell for sure. It shifts just fine though (2x on my road bike).

On compatibility... I can see why Shimano say the 11-speed crankset isn't compatible... See the left image below. There is very little clearance between the 11-speed drive side crank arm and the front derailleur. I've even pushed the crankset out 1mm using a 'spindle washer' :).

The 12-speed crankset (right image) has a much better gap between FD and crank arm.

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Quote Reply