Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone ride in the snow?
Quote | Reply
It was lovely this morning in Rochester, NY...32 degrees F. and a steady, big-flaked, wet snow...I rode anyway. It wasn't too bad: I got to see a bum on a bike wipe out (it was slo-mo and hilarious...he was okay and the Marlboro didn't even fall out of his mouth) and I'm sure glad that school bus didn't hit me coming up that climb...on second thought I could've used a push.

Throw out your trainers people...ride in the junk!

GET SOME!

signed...Rusty Chain
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride in the snow? [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call me a wimp, but I would not purposly head out for a road bike ride when it was snowing. Now, I have been caught in a few freak snow sqaulls that have blown in all of a sudden - but that is the extent of it.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hardcore dude. Did you invite the Marlboro dude for some Ripple wine out of a sack? Maybe a 40 of malt liquor to ease that post-crash pain.

I occasionally ride in the snow, mostly on my mountain bike. I might do more if of not for all the cleaning hassles. The trainer looks pretty tempting when I think about coming home all wet, dirty and gritty. I have to take off the offending outerwear in the garage and then get ready for some bike cleaning. If there is a lot of snow I'd rather get out the skis or snowshoes. Don't get to see many bums out at the park though.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride in the snow? [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! But only on my mountain bike. Road bike for training, tri bike for racing, etc.

Now what exactly is a stationary bike for ... :)

Re: Anyone ride in the snow? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Now what exactly is a stationary bike for ... :)

it's so you can read while biking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone ride in the snow?
All the time, all winter. My mountain bike with Nokian studded snow tires makes it more fun than summer riding (almost).

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember: When acid rain freezes, you get acid snow.

I won't be riding in the slush this year, though, since I wrapped my Kona around a tree last week :-(

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride in the snow? [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Under the tree, Randy, UNDER the tree.

Sorry to hear that....
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride in the snow? [bvfrompc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my first year riding in the snow, so far I love it. Let's see what i think by feb.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride in the snow? [bvfrompc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Under the tree, Randy, UNDER the tree.
"There was Uncle Vito, under the tree, dead, .22 in the back of his head. And what's worse ...??? No bike. It was a disappointing Christmas on many levels."

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Blue Heaven. Well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I ride in the snow, sometimes. It may come as no surprise that I did it all the time when I was younger, then got away from it as I aged up. A few years ago I got back into it, hardcore, with a fixed gear, because my training partner told me I was a big ass whimp if I didn't (What's 'a matter McFly? Chicken?). I do it still, even though my training partner from then moved away. OH YEAH, he used to live in Rochester, NY, and that's where his psychosis began. His initials are DV and he uses a 60 tooth chainring on his Stowe TT bike. I miss him, nobody else here will ride outside below 30 degrees.

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats what I love about this formum, Movie picks. This sounds like a must see.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride in the snow? [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the same studded tires. I even ride in the dark and snow - OK it is on snowmobile trails so pretty safe all in all. I live on a dead end road that is about 2 miles long, 1.5 miles of it is a continuous climb so I ride repeats on that in the winter in snow as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride in the snow? [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isnt it a hassle sharing a set of tires with Greg? You should just buy your own

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I LIKE riding when it's below freezing; no snow/ice melt running across the road to muck things up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have ridden in the snow a lot, but prefer to take my mountain bike. The road bike and tri bike aren't winter suitable. However, the mountain bike loves it! I have an old mountain bike that I picked up at a police auction, so I am not as meticulous about it as my other bikes. It cleans up nice and quick since it does not have all those expensive bells and whistles on it. A great fun way to pass the winter when I can fit it in.

But, be careful of the school buses!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride in the snow? [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nokian 296 s? They are amazing tires.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply