Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone replace a Softride beam?
Quote | Reply
Yeah it happened. I've got a crack in the aluminum socket that holds the carbon beam on a TT7. I haven't even tried talking to Softride yet so it's not as if I'm complaining about customer service or anything.

But: Does anyone have an idea of what a replacement beam costs?

Thanks

Benjamin
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone replace a Softride beam? [lc21998] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old is your bike? Softride has a 3 or 5 year warranty on the beam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your beam de-laminated it should be free. If you just want to buy a new beam, they're pretty pricey - around $400 if I remember correctly.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone replace a Softride beam? [ImTribble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike is a 2003. But I bought the frame used.

(Whether used bikes should carry warranties has already been debated ad naseum on a different thread. Suffice it to say I don't understand why they shouldn't be.)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone replace a Softride beam? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's actually just a grisly horizontal crack through and through on the aluminum socket at the base of the beam. (Right above where it mounts to the "downtube.") The carbon is not affected at all.

$400 is pretty steep. Thanks for the information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had no problem getting my TT7 beam replaced. Customer service could not have been better. Their attitude seemed to say, "If we sold you something that was defective in any way, we're sorry, and we'll send you a new one immediately"...and they did.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone replace a Softride beam? [donks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'll call them in the morning.

For the record, I love my Softride and my experience with their service in the past has been great.

Benjamin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you get no love from Softride, let me know, I may have an extra beam. I used to have a TT7 and had several issues with the beam, so Softride sent me an extra to have on hand. I changed to a titanflex but I don't remember if I still have the extra beam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Piece of cake to replace. And I don't think the beam is $400, closer to $200.

Just use a permanant marker (silver, gold, white)to mark on the lower height adjustment bolt and the frame to mark your present saddle height prior to loosening anything.

Softride has a technical guide heres the link http://www.softride.com/tech_guide.asp

See the Rocket beam upper and lower.

I'm not a bike mechanic and I've done the maintenance on my beam a couple of times. Very simple.

PM me if you need futher advice.

Regards

ShaRRky
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone replace a Softride beam? [ShaRRky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice folks. I talked to Adam from Softride this morning. (He called me back about two minutes after I left him voicemail. This in and of itself is enough to make me a fan.) Because I bought the frame used he said it's not under warranty. But he nevertheless offered me the beam at a significant discount, which makes it just over $200.

Some people on this site were kind enough to offer me extra beams they had lying around. But Andy was nice and I thought his solution was fair so I bought it.

I'm still a big Softride fan and this just cements my previous impression of their great service.

Benjamin
Quote Reply