Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone read the latest Mens Journal about "Gut Flaps?"
Quote | Reply
Every now and then someone here will ask how to get rid of that fat part on the belly, that no amount of exercise or diet, reduces---nor abdominal exercises---because you can't "spot reduce" that area.

Here's your cure---if all you need was motivation. Go get the latest Men's Journal magazine. There's an article in it which went on for four to five pages, from doctors talking about, not only is it almost impossible to remove gut flaps, without a huge committment to diet and exercise, absent surgical intervention, but, get this, it doesn't just sit there, dormant either: it spews out all kinds of poisons all day long into your system, that, a "fat gut" if you opened it up, becomes like an organ itself. It starts wrapping itself all over the place to other organs, taking them over, almost.

It is ALIVE!

All day long, that fat belly is just spewing out toxins and all kinds of harmful substances, that bastard belly is active screwing everything up, including, they think, now your heart and all kinds of diseases. It's not something nice to pat and kind of work on, like its a nice friend. It's a dangerous thing like that Alien creature.

The doctors concluded that the best way to reduce it was heavy weightlifting, not just hardcore aerobic activity, Build muscles all over, for some reason---can't recall the mechanics of why they said that.
Last edited by: boothrand: Oct 27, 04 20:07
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone read the latest Mens Journal about "Gut Flaps?" [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's hilarious. Did you write that or copy it? If you did...perhaps a career change to journalism is in order. I could visualize while reading. Not a pretty site.....

"can't recall the mechanics of why they said that"

The short answer is that intense muscle breakdown/stimulation/production increases metabolic rates long after you're done lifting (while you sleep)....whereas aerobic activitiy "generally" just burns calories during exercise. Now....there's a bit more to it, but that's the simplified v.

I'd say a typical triathlon lifestyle is still better than being a one trick pony (weights or endurance)......
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone read the latest Mens Journal about "Gut Flaps?" [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get fat on my butt and backs of my quads before my stomach. Does this mean that my ass is being invaded?
Quote Reply
It means you're probably a woman [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Those who know do not speak, those who speak, do not know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
according to the tv ads all you need is cortislim...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone read the latest Mens Journal about "Gut Flaps?" [shizno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its interesting. Apparently, a person can do even a tiny bit or research about reducing belly fat, and is told you can't do abdominal exercises, to reduce it, they keep doing it. I guess people just don't believe it. I have a certified trainer where I work out, who won't even let men and women concerned about that, do abdominal exercises, because he thinks it makes their belly fat more prounounced. He makes them do fast circuit training. High reps, low weight. Real fast circuits around the gym.

Speaking from my own personal experience, when I got out of law school, I started getting a belly, and I worked out constantly to try to reduce it. Ran, did everything. The only thing which ever worked was nothing I did, but was from stress from life, and poor eating habits. Not eating, properly.

I also don't think you could run it off. When I run and train a lot now, the fat if any comes off from my upper body muscles, arms, shoulders, back, and chest. It doesn't zap belly fat. My leg muscles get more defined from biking and running, but I don't see that reducing small fat areas. So, I think you could run 15 miles a day, and still have belly flaps. Or bike for miles and miles and hammer it, all months long, and still have belly flaps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not have any worries about gut flaps as when I have my shirt off, I am often mistaken for "John Basedow--Fitness Celebrity."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone read the latest Mens Journal about "Gut Flaps?" [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have those horrible highlights in your hair to go along with the abs? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where alot of people miss the boat is nutrition. a person can train like mad, but if there are bad eating habits, there will no physical change, or only minimal change.

a clean diet is 80% of it.

and fat collects toxins. it enables the body to poison itself. unfortunately I carry weight on my abs and it's the hardest thing to get rid of. most women have it on thighs and butts, etc...not me. it's all gut. so, now I guess I have a gut that's attacking the rest of my body. great.
Last edited by: kittycat: Oct 28, 04 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone read the latest Mens Journal about "Gut Flaps?" [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes--and I often stand on the beach with legs akimbo and stroke my belly.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone read the latest Mens Journal about "Gut Flaps?" [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was out for a run, early one friday night - on the trip home i passed my favorite bar (that i don't frequent nearly as much as i used to) - a friend/barfly was out on the front step talking to some guys and drinking a beer, i stop to say "hi" and he says "hey guys, this is tom basedow ..." thought that was pretty damn funny.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone read the latest Mens Journal about "Gut Flaps?" [TomAnnapolis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange coincidence--I was walking down the hall at work today and a gal stops me and asks how I keep my stomach so flat. I told her I didn't think it was really that flat. She said it was the flattest one in the building. Damning with faint praise, I said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little bit of belly or hip or where ever you hold fat is a good thing. Blasphemy on slowtwitch, I know, but it’s true. Really, think about it. Why is it hard to get rid of this fat? It’s hard to get rid of, because it’s precisely this fat that kept your blood line alive a couple of generations ago during some major big-time famines. Your genes moved forward because you could hold on to this fat and survive. The zero (non-essential) body fat guy died many generations ago, and that’s why there aren’t a lot of them around today. So now after thousands of generations you’re going to try and “tell” your body not to store fat because you want to improve your bike split? Well I have a tip for you. Sooner or later your body is going to win. Moving back and forth from 12% body fat to 17% body fat throughout the year will not kill you. In fact some people thrive bulking up over the winter. However, holding on to 60% body fat year after year will kill you, and that's the difference.[/font]
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone read the latest Mens Journal about "Gut Flaps?" [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha, hopefully it's only being invaded by fat and not....
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone read the latest Mens Journal about "Gut Flaps?" [adam12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with the belly fat is that it is designed to help you survive a long winter with scarce food - not to help you live to 100. Now that extended periods of time without food is a lower risk for most of us the genetic ability to store visceral fat is no longer needed. Just because a genetic tendancy had great benefit at one time does not exempt it from examination for benefits and costs in our current times.

I would guess that 10,000 years ago when one of the hunters keeled over at 40 years old nobody really questioned if his generous belly was the culprit because at that time he was a beloved grandfather who had lived long, full life. Now that we are living longer and are otherwise healthier it is easier to single out causes (and effects) of certain medical conditions, especially with the help of modern technology.

One of the more interesting observations in the article is that this fat can be harder to see on the outside than you might suspect since it is actually inside the body cavity underneath the abs. Body fat percentage is not the key indicator, but rather body fat composition and location is.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone read the latest Mens Journal about "Gut Flaps?" [stltricoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... nothing comes in the "out door".
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone read the latest Mens Journal about "Gut Flaps?" [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just making sure :)
Quote Reply