Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8?
Quote | Reply
Thanks. If its warm but wetsuit legal I may go sleeveless....
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
US Army Corps of Engineers had it at 63 on May 18th.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [lhotse2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Thats pretty cool but I would expect it to warm up quite a bit now in these 80 deg days.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
Thank you! Thats pretty cool but I would expect it to warm up quite a bit now in these 80 deg days.

Highs are mid 80's up to 90 but average daily temperature is in the mid 70's and humidity is moderate for this time of year (more evaporation which cools off water).

I think it's a pretty deep lake too and we've had some rain. It's been a cooler spring and a very cold winter compared to previous years if that's any indication. I don't know what water temps were previous years, but expect it to be cooler.

But it's my first year doing this. All I have is a sleeveless suit anyway.

The year is was non-ws (2012?) it was the warmest winter on record and a warm spring I think without a lot of rain.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw another reference that said 67F on May 23rd. I bet it's up to 70F now and gets to 72-73F by June 8th depending on how much it rains.

Besides, as it approaches 76F, the race director will manage to find a cold spot 1/4 mile out from shore.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is 7X for me, so I've seen it all at this lake and venue, literally. The RD is a straight-up guy and he'll call it legal, but I'd guess right now it'll be WL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm betting its wetsuit legal, as of the 28th (scroll to the bottom of the page), the surface temp was 72:
http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/Fishing/Where-to-Fish-in-Kansas/Fishing-Locations-Public-Waters/Region-2/Clinton-Reservoir
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm heading to Kansas today and will take the lake temps each morning starting on Wed. Will post for everyone! Safe travels to Kansas and see you this weekend.

Also - I you have not registered for the event, the on-line registration closes at mid-night tonight!. (Monday) We will have race site registration available on Friday and Saturday at the park.

This year we will have one transition and the bike check-in on Saturday is optional!

See you in Lawrence.

Z
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for keeping us posted on the temp.

Other than the long drive straight back to Milwaukee post-race I'm really looking forward to the weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Thanks for keeping us posted on the temp.

Other than the long drive straight back to Milwaukee post-race I'm really looking forward to the weekend.

My wife wasn't excited when I told her awards are at 3:30PM... another 3-1/2 hours after finishing... meaning we're not getting out of there until at least 4:30 with traffic. I think she might be secretly hoping I over bike in epic fashion, or get a couple flat tires.

With a fair amount of rain projected all week, I don't see it warming up much.

TrainingBible Coaching
Last edited by: motoguy128: Jun 2, 14 8:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is heading down to Lawrence on Saturday (to watch me) with my two young children. We are staying at the Oread--where is the best place for them to watch race and how early do they have to get there and how is parking? How much walking (pushing stroller)? Trying to figure out logistics this week.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard that with only 1 road in/out of the park that traffic is pretty bad, so you need to get an early start if possible.

My first year, so not sure about spectating. Probably hanging out around transition is best as you'll see athletes exit T2m run past to start loop 2 and finish.

I recommend somewhere with shade, or bring your own shade (little tent, umbrella, etc.)

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recommend what to do in terms of parking?

If it is anything like Syracuse 70.3 and you have to wait for every last finisher to cross the finish line, this will be a nightmare.

I have a flight at 5pm and would like to make a timely exit from the race grounds.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [KSU_Wildcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parking and getting out is not a problem. The only issue is that you have to park about a mile from transition. Its a long walk back to Transition and back to the car with all of your gear. The parking is(I think it still is even with the change in run course) outside of the run course, so as long as the bikes are in you should be able to get out just fine.

As far as pushing a stroller, it will be a doozy. The hill down to transition and back up to watch the run will be tough. Plus it is a hike to the venue from the parking lot. Find a shady spot on the run course and try to enjoy it. It is great for spectating. Or you can rent a campsite and park in the park on the run course if you can get into the park early enough. Well worth it for convenience. Pretty cheap as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The athlete guide said the awards ceremony is at 3:30 but you can pick up your award between 1:30 and 3:30.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How congested does it get on race am? Ideally, I would love to bring all my stuff on race morning, but don't know how early I will need to get there? I see T1 opens at 5AM, If I get there at 5AM, will I be good to set up T1 and T2, etc... Just to confirm, there is only one transition area?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and yes. First year that there is only one transition. I always camp and when i get up people seem to be starting to roll in at 5. You will be fine, just dont forget something in your car. It will be a long hike back to get what you forgot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I read the athlete guide correctly in terms of the Saturday bike check being optional, thus we could rack our bikes on Sunday if we so desire?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [jph437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and Tom Z about 6 posts up confirms this.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [Joncolby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh I read this yesterday, but for some reason couldn't convince myself I was reading the packet correctly. Thank you
Last edited by: jph437: Jun 3, 14 5:31
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
The athlete guide said the awards ceremony is at 3:30 but you can pick up your award between 1:30 and 3:30.

Wohoo!!!!... the will be the best news my wife has heard in weeks!!! Entertaining a 5 year old for an another 3 hours and getting home at 9PM and having the work the next day after racing were not something I was looking forward to. That is assuming i medal.. Shit can happen in racing of course.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is the over under on it raining... ive checked a few weather websites at its a 50/50 some say it rains some say it doesn't... if it does rain are kansas rains quick? and how accurate are the kansas weather people?:)

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know projected lake temps for Kansas 70.3 on June 8? [Machee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know where I'm at it's predicted thunderstorm and rain in the afternoon every day for 5 days and it only rained for 5 minutes once and I saw 1 lightning bolt. Go figure, I was of course out on my MTB with my daughter in the carseat 5 miles form home when that rolled in. But 30 miles north they've gotten pounded wing widn and thunderstorms.

I give it 80% chance we at least get some sprinkles. 50% change of heavy rain for maybe 5 minutes. Projection is only 0.1" of rain, so it won't be sustained. However, the winds will pick up to 20mph for about a hour on each side of the storm.

Around here the storms are either early in the morning, or late afternoon, but I'm not sure about the cycle in that area.

Temperatures look mild, but expect humidity and it's calling for a NNW wind at 12mph, 18mph gusts. The mean a tailwind for the initial slightly downhill section. That could make for some scary closing rates. The headwind the last 10 miles will ruin a LOT of runs.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great info thanks :)!!

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually have a last-minute opportunity to come to this race. I noticed your on-site registration on the website last night, but it said first-come first-served. I don't want to make the trip (from Houston) if there's much of a chance that it will sell out before I get to the reg table. What's the likelihood that if I make the trip, I'll be able to race? Thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next