Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone have any experience with Easton Warranty Service?
Quote | Reply
To make a long story short, I had a very bad trip back from White Lake today. Driving along in a construction zone (50 mph so I have definitely had it on the roof at much faster speeds), in a tremendous cross wind, and all of a sudden my bike came off the roof rack. Luckily the rear wheel strap held, and the bike just hung off the side of the car at about a 90 deg angle until I pulled over and stopped and the bike never touched the ground. I figured I had forgotten to close the clamp all the way or something bonehead like that, but when I got out and looked, the fork clamp (Thule Velo Vise) was still closed and locked, and when I looked at the fork, the dropout was basically split in half in along the vertical plane.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience in dealing with Easton on issues like this. The fork has been on the bike for just over 1 year, but since I am in Grad School and working, the bike has seen almost no use. The fork has less than 500 miles on it.

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have any experience with Easton Warranty Service? [Trippertim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't say it, but come real close to implying this is/should be a warranty issue. It's not, certainly not for Veltec...but maybe Thule. But, if you're realllllly nice, you might have a lil luck.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but rather offering up some advise. Don't tackle this as a warranty issue, but rather play dumb and inquire about crash replacement with a slight hint of "could this maybe/possibly/kinda sorta be something remotely covered"? Otherwise, as a last resort, use it as a trade in on on a new Easton fork.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have any experience with Easton Warranty Service? [Trippertim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bad luck with the fork, I would tell easton exactly what happened & see what they are willing to do.....but

I find easton customer service to be the worst I deal with , this company also sells Giro/bell products & it normal to be on hold for 20 minutes every time I have called them ,only then to get somebody who does not have much knowledge about their products or policies, then you will go on hold again while this rep asks questions of somebody else..........it can be very frustrating if you work on a shop floor you simply dont have time for this

Im not sure if they are short staffed, and complaining has not worked either, good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a 3 year old Easton fork where the drop out came apart and they sent me a super nice new one for free, I think it might have been Veltec though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a fairness follow up, I called today, was only on hold for 2-3 minutes, then was connected to a decently knowledgeable rep, explained the situation to her and she opened a case, gave me a reference #, and the mailing address to send the fork to for evaluation. We will see how it goes from here.

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a nearly identical thing happen on the way up to IMLP last year. I was going more like 80, and it scared the bejeezus outta me and Mrs Murph.
Likewise, thank GOD the rear wheel held (I had mine tied down w/ climbing accessory cord since the wheelcover was on), but it looked (and still looks, I have it hanging on the wall of my garage) pretty much just like that pic.

I had the broken-off pieces of the dropouts still stuck in the skewer thingie. So it wasn't a matter of not being locked down tightly enough, at all.

It sucked ass having to scramble around at the very last minute before my first IM trying to find a replacement fork. (not to mention having to shell out over $400 to fix something that shouldn'ta been broken) :-p

Let me know how you make out. I was advised not to even bother trying for warranty action, so I didn't.
Hope you are able to get some satisfaction. Good luck!
-M

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have any experience with Easton Warranty Service? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is why not try for the warranty claim or maybe trade in to a new fork. If I don't ask, they definitely won't help me at all. This way there is at least a small chance.

Tim Anderson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt anyone remembers this issue, but I wanted to give a good word for Easton. I got back from work tonight and there was a brand new fork from Easton on my front porch tonight. All I did was call their customer service and explained the problem. They were quick and professional. They didn't make any promises, but gave me a RMA number and requested that I send the fork to them so they could inspect it. I never had to get pushy, and I didn't even demand a new fork. I just requested that they inspect the fork and they we could figure out something we were both happy with. I never had to call them back or pester them and now I have a brand new fork. I have to admit, I wish the fork had never broken, but all in all very good customer service. I only wish every company had service this good.

Tim Anderson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news. Good on Easton. BTW, which fork was that?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have any experience with Easton Warranty Service? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was the EC90 Aero. Other than the 'minor' problem of the fork breaking I have been quite happy with it. It is light, the ride quality is good, and there was only a slight variation in the handling of my P2K compared to the factory fork.

Tim Anderson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this. Do you have their contact info?

(please PM me if so, I'd like to take a stab at getting some satisfaction w/ my wrecked fork too)

Thx in advance, and congrats!!!
-M

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is the section that 'split' (the dropout) made of carbon, aluminum, or a combination of both?

you are very lucky it didn't happen while riding.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have any experience with Easton Warranty Service? [gregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Its is/was all carbon fiber. I am very glad it didn't happen while riding.

Tim Anderson
Quote Reply