Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone have a Bone Spect Scan?
Quote | Reply
I will be having a Bone Spect Scan tomorrow. I hear this is a long test, but mainly due to the fact you are injected with nuclear medicine. I just want to know what the heck is wrong?

I just entered my second week of half marathon training. I have had some discomfort off and on since late October, but didn't get it checked out until last Friday. I went to see my sports medicine doctor and the story goes on.........

I can't say it is "pain", but more of a "pressure". I feel it running at times and sitting/standing. When I bend backwards I can feel it on my left side in my lower back/buttocks.

Doc said it could be a stress fx or possibly mechanical......what the heck is this? I pray that no surgery is recommended-I am done with surgery. My ACL reconstruction last May was thee worst. Doc took x-rays and saw something suspicious, so on to the Bone Spect Scan.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Bone Spect Scan? [runnergirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure if you're having the same thing, but it sounds similar to the bone scan i had in college to look for a stress fracture in my shin. it was actually pretty quick--they inject you in the AM and then you go back a couple hours later to take a picture--dark black spots on the x-ray pic are bad from what i remember. didn't hurt and didin't take too much time--waiting for the doc to read it may take a while though. good luck!!

whineyass

"open up your cage, focus on your rage...."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Bone Spect Scan? [whineyass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
not sure if you're having the same thing, but it sounds similar to the bone scan i had in college to look for a stress fracture in my shin. it was actually pretty quick--they inject you in the AM and then you go back a couple hours later to take a picture--dark black spots on the x-ray pic are bad from what i remember. didn't hurt and didin't take too much time--waiting for the doc to read it may take a while though. good luck!!

whineyass

"open up your cage, focus on your rage...."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this a bone density scan? If they are looking for a broken bone and an X-Ray is not showing it (common with fractures in the wrist - scahpoid and what not) then typically they MRI it...or at least they do with me, and I currently have a fracutred right scaphoid that is a-vascular and has necrosis...fun.

Oh...and I as I am osteopenic (heading towards osteoporosis fast) I get bone density tests often...not bad at all.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Bone Spect Scan? [StillRecord10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is this a bone density scan? If they are looking for a broken bone and an X-Ray is not showing it (common with fractures in the wrist - scahpoid and what not) then typically they MRI it...or at least they do with me, and I currently have a fracutred right scaphoid that is a-vascular and has necrosis...fun.

Oh...and I as I am osteopenic (heading towards osteoporosis fast) I get bone density tests often...not bad at all.

No, this is not a bone density scan. The test is called Bone Spect Scan where they inject nuclear medicine and you go back a few hours later for the x-ray. No, the doctor is looking for a stress fx or mechanical? I will have to have a bone desity test this year as I had a hysterectomy last year and will need my bones checked out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I have had that one too. No big deal but you get a funny taste in your mouth. Not as bad as the dye for a CAT though. The worst is the one where they stick a needle into your bone and scrape some out...that hurts like hell.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one done when I broke my arm in a bike crash in France. The procedure was time consuming but not bad at all. The scan looked like a photo of a broken window. My arm was broken in seven places. To this day my right hand grip strength is quite poor.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Bone Spect Scan? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have enough grip to um...take care of "business" though I hope?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get off the roads for a while and into the pool. You can maintain your conditioning by running the water. Deepwater running is a proven way to keep and even enhance your conditioning while recovering from land based injuries. I train 80 injured runners a week in the water. They are all faster when they back on land. the time off the roads will help the heeling process. you can check my website www.dougstern.com for an article on how to do it.

Water is gentle on your body.

Doug Stern
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Bone Spect Scan? [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Get off the roads for a while and into the pool. You can maintain your conditioning by running the water. Deepwater running is a proven way to keep and even enhance your conditioning while recovering from land based injuries. I train 80 injured runners a week in the water. They are all faster when they back on land. the time off the roads will help the heeling process. you can check my website www.dougstern.com for an article on how to do it.

Water is gentle on your body.

Doug Stern
The post Nazis are going to come allong and blast you for marketing...LOL....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am reponding thru my husbands account... I happen to be a Nuclear Medicine Technologist and got a real kick out of others descriptions of a bone scan. OK here is the truth. You will get an injection of a small amount of radioactivity that gets absorbed to into the bone over time. No its not dangerous, it's about the same amount of radioactivity that you would get from an xray, it's just done differently. Bone scans are often used when the xray shows nothing. it picks up on the regenerative or degenerative process in the cells of the bone causing brite spots on the pictures. You can see stress fractures, hair line fractures, etc. also used for patients with bone mets from cancer. the SPECT stands for single photon emission tomography which is a fancy way of saying, nuclear medicine version of a CAT scan. Camera rotates around you taking pictures. at the end they add them together for a rotating image. Oh yeah, you will be radioactive for about 48 hours. You will be safe to go to work and be around children not a large amount, drinking water will spead the excretion process. check out the patient information section of www.snm.org (society of nuclear medicine)

michelle
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Bone Spect Scan? [StillRecord10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bone scan is nothing to worry about. You will get an injection in the morning then come back in a few hours for the rest of the test. I've had many done and it is always nice when you have a helpful tech working who will let you watch teh screen as the test is taking place.

Funny story about the nuclear material injected. You are told it is harmless (which i sure hope it is), but enough is injected into your body that if you try and cross into the usa at a land border within 12 hours you will set off the border guards radition detector. I was pulled into the garage had my car scanned to see if I was transporting dangerous material when coming home from my test in toronto

Assistant Cross Country/Track and Field Coach
Auburn University
WAR EAGLE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just had one about a month ago for a broken ankle. Totaly painless, injection and all. I went to the hospital at 8 AM and got my glow on, came back at 10 AM for the scan. The scan took about 20 min to scan both my legs. Make sure you ask them to but the results on a CD. Then you can take them home pop it into your PC and take a look.

Good luck hope your test comes back bette than mine!

Tim

I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I made it through the bone spect scan. Within the first 3mins of the test, I had a panic attack, but settled down and progressed through the rest of the test. I will find out my results hopefully tomorrow-since I work at the hospital where I had it done.

I can't believe I have to carry around a card with me until Friday due to the nuclear medicine they injected in me. I went around saying "i am radioactive"! It is kind of funny!!!
Quote Reply