Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone got one of those NASA developed Tempur Pedic "memory foam" visco elestic mattresses?
Quote | Reply
I quote from a site i came across>

Bergin says the memory foam mattress is best for anyone with back pain or osteoarthritis. The term "memory foam" is often misunderstood. It doesn't mean the mattress remembers the contours of your body but that the mattress returns to its original flat plane once you get up. Memory foam is made of heat and pressure sensitive material that responds to your body temperature and conforms to near-perfect pressure, weight distribution, and support.

"It gets as close to weightless sleep as possible," says Bergin. "It supports the entire body at all the pressure points as though you're floating. It really is a remarkable discovery. Unfortunately a high-quality mattress that will last 20 years without being flipped is high priced, about $1,800 to $2,500."

He recently bought a Tempur-Pedic mattress, which uses the memory foam developed by NASA. "NASA put it in seats to absorb G-forces so it doesn't hurt. When G-forces push the astronaut into the seat, the material gives. We're bombarded by G-forces when we sleep, and memory foam allows the heavier or denser parts of the body to sink into the foam.

A number of manufacturers make memory foam mattresses or top conventional mattresses with a layer of it.

Anyone got one and recommend it????

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar, Europe
graphics@gibraltar.gi
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got one of those NASA developed Tempur Pedic "memory foam" visco elestic mattresses? [sperera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have used one for about 4 years. I love it...

Tilden

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got one of those NASA developed Tempur Pedic "memory foam" visco elestic mattresses? [sperera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i do not lie when i say this is probably the single best purchase my wife and i have ever made. period.

---Politics = Poli (many) Ticks (blood sucking ectoparasites)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"NASA put it in seats to absorb G-forces so it doesn't hurt. When G-forces push the astronaut into the seat, the material gives.

Wonder if we could get someone to make a bicycle saddle from it...

Quote | Reply
I bought one of the mattress toppers (pad that goes on top of regular mattress) for the guest bedroom last month. My mom came and stayed with me for three weeks and she is prone to back/neck problems. She loved it. Said the bed was really comfortable and no aches or pains. Our mattress also has a layer and I really like it. I wouldn't mind trying one of the mattress made from it, but a lot of money for an experiment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just purchased a new bedroom set and mattress in SEP. Spent a hour or so flopping down on mattresses at Nebraska Furniture Mart in KC.

We both liked the tempur-pedic brand mattress but didn't like the price.

We went with a Land and Sky bodytone mattress. Same technology, feel, and warranty. but at least $500 lower than tempur-pedic.

After three months on it we absolutely love it.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got one of those NASA developed Tempur Pedic "memory foam" visco elestic mattresses? [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have slept for a few weeks on a tempur matress and then bought a generic knockoff. Both are way better than any other matress, but the Tempurpedic is definately worth the extra money if you've got it. (I don't). For the amount of time you sepnd there, I would go for one. If you can't shell out the cash, at least get the generic one as they are still great. Been using it for 3 years and I will never go back. Hoping to upgrade to a tempur one day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dissenter here. The wife and I both had low back pain from it. We returned it, got a more conventional pillowtop mattress, and love it. We kept the temperp pillows though, as they are fantastic.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got one of those NASA developed Tempur Pedic "memory foam" visco elestic mattresses? [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard the same story. Brother and his wife got one, loved it for 2 weeks, then started getting back problems and finally took it back.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got one of those NASA developed Tempur Pedic "memory foam" visco elestic mattresses? [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh! That's about how long it took for us to develop the pain, too!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got one of those NASA developed Tempur Pedic "memory foam" visco elestic mattresses? [tildenm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How durable is it? Our 90 lb. dog sleeps in the bed with us (that's what beds are for, sleeping, right?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"It gets as close to weightless sleep as possible," says Bergin.

No, I'd say this is quite a bit closer.

Not many people want to go that far out on a limb, to be sleeping in a pod that is. I've heard quite a few people who didn't like the tempurpedic, and even those who've been hassled returning them, but I think the idea is excellent. The best thing you could do to improve your sleep, beyond having a mattress that is correct for your body type and weight, would be to have seperate beds for you and your wife.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got one of those NASA developed Tempur Pedic "memory foam" visco elestic mattresses? [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is very durable, heavier than many mattresses. Comes with a cover that probably would prohibit any sort of dog damage.

Tilden

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one and absolutly love it. I recommend it to my patients and so far all of them that bought one really liked it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a generic memory foam topper - it cost about $200 and we love it.

I have never tried the full mattress (cost) but I wonder wether you don't get 80-90% of the benefit from a topper at a fraction of the price....
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got one of those NASA developed Tempur Pedic "memory foam" visco elestic mattresses? [Kembo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds pretty good for sleeping. How are they for the extracurriculars?

Dick Chartier

"Get up on your bike" Luka Bloom
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got one of those NASA developed Tempur Pedic "memory foam" visco elestic mattresses? [PrunePicker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't speak for the mattress, but the pillows work well for sleeping and other things!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haven't tried one, but I'd bet that NASA didn't put the foam in the seats to absorb the G's, as they only last a few minutes. More likely it's to make the seats more comfortable when they spend several hours on the pad lying on the seats waiting for launch.

A friend of mine has done 5 flights, and she's normally the 2nd person in the orbiter after the commander, she's spent 4 or 5 hours at a stretch in her seat before launch.

J.
Quote Reply