Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone ever get blown over (off) the bike?
Quote | Reply
I have a Felt IA3. Although a tad heavier than most other super bikes, its so wide and flat that the wind just loves to push on it. The JET6 wheel-set i'm sure doesn't help. Anyhow, I've been on a few long rides this weekend and may have lost a drop or two during some pretty gusty shots of wind. So how about it? Anyone get blown off their bike on a training ride or race?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever get blown over (off) the bike? [Formulagod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes. first time in kona, maybe 6 miles down from hawi, winds later reported at 46mph. it was surreal. the winds come from the mountain toward the ocean, so i went over onto my right side. as i was going over i saw my bike sail up from the left, go over me, and into the weeds along the right side of the road. it was not a good moment. by some unlikely fate i ended up in a sort of sitting position. in the few seconds it took me to get ahold of reality i was thinking it couldn't be real, but as i was now sitting on the road, which was mega-hot, reality came to me.
i'd hit my right hip in this accident and wondered if i'd broken it. i thought if i could get up it probably wasn't broken, which it wasn't. i was alone, but many minutes later a cop happened by and ---after much to and fro---agreed to straighten out my handlebars. since no race help was at all near i told him i'd get going and see how it went, and when a race car of some sort passed i'd either know i was ok, or would stop them and get a ride back. i was ok enough to finish the ride.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, happened to me while riding along the Pacific Coast Highway north of Santa Cruz. I was riding my TT bike with a 404F/808R combination and got blown right into the ditch at the side of the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of teammates (that I know of) were blown off their bikes on training rides in Rotterdam last fall before Worlds. That was seriously crazy wind though... 110 km/h gusts, and a lot of tall bridges where the risk of getting smacked with a sudden side gust was significant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wasn't me but in Kona 2013 coming down from Hawi I saw a lady on the side of the road with a Shiv. The wide downtime plus the tool box in the triangle made for a unique situation. She had a bike over her head and appeared to be struggling to get it on the ground as the wind was blowing so hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely came close at Wilmington half in 2016. Very windy and got push around by some bad gusts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, in Wellington...but you could blown off your bike in Wellington about 80% of the year without any problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply