Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone ever carry-on a race wheel onto airplane?
Quote | Reply
I shipped my bike and wheels to Kona- but am thinking about bringing a 3rd front wheel. Do the airlines let you carry-on one wheel? Didn't want to buy a hard case (too much $$$).
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever carry-on a race wheel onto airplane? [UltraST] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it many times with my disk -- quite often a level of 'negotiation' is required.

g
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Previous threads suggest that it is better to ring ahead to check before travelling. ALso, that it is easier to travel with a front wheel or a rear without the cassette fitted. I would suggest you search the posts for the information, as there was a lot there.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done and usually it is fine. Fitting it through some of the smaller xray machines at airports was the biggest issue. Usually telling them that you travel with it all the time all over the world and you have never had this problem works fine for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you have a wheel with clinchers, remove them. also remove cassette. The wheels does not fit the x-ray so it has to be manual checked and there could be something inside the tire ???? ....

http://www.wimdedoncker.be
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you could put it in a garment bag with a coat or something.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever carry-on a race wheel onto airplane? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just came back from IM Wisconsin last month, I flew with both of my wheels as a carry on. Did not have any problems. They fitted in the overhead compartments.

Didn´t have any problems with airport security .
Quote Reply