Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone else feel like sleeping for like 48 hours?
Quote | Reply
I am 50 years old and I have been doing triathlons, ironmans, marathons and training for over 18 years straight. I take proper multi-vitamins, Vitamin B12 and COQ2. Yet after a hard morning of training, I feel like napping like forever. I get 8 hours of sleep a night too. I work a normal 40-42 hour work week at a non stressful job.

I even went to the doctor and they did blood work and said everything is okay. I have been doing a pescatarian diet for over year and I take a protein recovery drink as part of my breakfast which consists of bagels, bananas and orange juice. I eat enough food too throughout the day.

The only thing I can think of is that I am getting old and this is part of aging and/or it may be my wife is stressing me out constantly and this is making me tired.

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else feel like sleeping for like 48 hours? [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check for Epstein Barr, that is not part of a normal blood test, you have to ask for it. It is quite common among endurance athletes, along with other Chronic fatigue viruses, but check for that one first as it is the most common. Over 90+% of us have it in us, cross the line and it gets a foot hold and is a bitch to get rid of.

Basically you have to just take time off "completely" from training, and reduce stress levels to near 0 to recovery from it, takes months too..
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else feel like sleeping for like 48 hours? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Check for Epstein Barr, that is not part of a normal blood test, you have to ask for it. It is quite common among endurance athletes, along with other Chronic fatigue viruses, but check for that one first as it is the most common. Over 90+% of us have it in us, cross the line and it gets a foot hold and is a bitch to get rid of.

Basically you have to just take time off "completely" from training, and reduce stress levels to near 0 to recovery from it, takes months too..

Thanks Monty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's yearly around March and October then it could be to do with pollen and adrenal fatigue... That doesn't show in blood tests

Trees and flowers release pollen>body produces adrenaline in background in reaction (probably natures boost before and after winter rest).... Do you get a bit hyper>then adrenaline slows down after a week or 2> adrenaline trigger cravings go up for a week or 2( whatever your go to boost is .. caffeine, sugar, training, alcohol, nicotine) > then you get really adrenaline depleted... Gallbladder is empty.... Then after a workout you pass out, or during a movie or after eating

If its that then you'll be fine in a couple of weeks.... Just avoid the adrenaline boosters and rest.... Tea and fats instead of caffeine and sugars
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else feel like sleeping for like 48 hours? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
If it's yearly around March and October then it could be to do with pollen and adrenal fatigue... That doesn't show in blood tests

Trees and flowers release pollen>body produces adrenaline in background in reaction (probably natures boost before and after winter rest).... Do you get a bit hyper>then adrenaline slows down after a week or 2> adrenaline trigger cravings go up for a week or 2( whatever your go to boost is .. caffeine, sugar, training, alcohol, nicotine) > then you get really adrenaline depleted... Gallbladder is empty.... Then after a workout you pass out, or during a movie or after eating

If its that then you'll be fine in a couple of weeks.... Just avoid the adrenaline boosters and rest.... Tea and fats instead of caffeine and sugars

My tiredness is almost non existent in the summer months. Maybe I need more sunshine and less season changing. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 61 and I get more fatigued at this time of year due to tree pollen allergies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya. Following your thread closely!

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...tring=sleep#p4965720
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else feel like sleeping for like 48 hours? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you got kids?

That does it for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, worst pollen is april and October.... Rest of year you'll feel clear

Did they test vitamin d with the bloods?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a beast in the summer and just wilt in the winter into a big hurting mess. Not much sun in Vancouver. I've posted on other threads - this year has been much better, however I am on my third respiratory virus!

- For random immune flare-ups I started taking Benadryl as required. I am not sure it's pollen, but I did have wicked reactions in years past, in particular to urushiol-related stuff.
- Never had much luck with Vitamin D but it has been more effective this year
-L-Glutamine has taken a good bite off muscle fatigue and overall soreness. Got that at Body Energy.
-Keep away from carbs and sugars as others have noted.
- Coffee is a bad thing for fatigue, it disrupts my sleep. But I like my cafes.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else feel like sleeping for like 48 hours? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
Have you got kids?

That does it for me.

I have kids, but they are older and do not live with me.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else feel like sleeping for like 48 hours? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Yes, worst pollen is april and October.... Rest of year you'll feel clear

Did they test vitamin d with the bloods?

I did not get Vitamin D checked out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terryh wrote:
I am 50 years old and I have been doing triathlons, ironmans, marathons and training for over 18 years straight. I take proper multi-vitamins, Vitamin B12 and COQ2. Yet after a hard morning of training, I feel like napping like forever. I get 8 hours of sleep a night too. I work a normal 40-42 hour work week at a non stressful job.

I even went to the doctor and they did blood work and said everything is okay. I have been doing a pescatarian diet for over year and I take a protein recovery drink as part of my breakfast which consists of bagels, bananas and orange juice. I eat enough food too throughout the day.

The only thing I can think of is that I am getting old and this is part of aging and/or it may be my wife is stressing me out constantly and this is making me tired.

Any thoughts?

Where do you live? I live in Upstate NY and right now, my Vitamin D levels are in the tank. We need SUNSHINE! My guess would be your vitamin D levels are really low. Try adding a cup of milk or Vitamin D fortified OJ to your diet? My daughter is lactose intolerant and her swimming (she is a competitive swimmer) was suffering because of it. We added a vitamin D supplement and she has so much more energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else feel like sleeping for like 48 hours? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
I'm a beast in the summer and just wilt in the winter into a big hurting mess. Not much sun in Vancouver. I've posted on other threads - this year has been much better, however I am on my third respiratory virus!

I am just the opposite, but I live in Tampa and the summer heat is like taking a daily beating. You are constantly tired and trying to rehydrate. There's plenty of sun down here in the summer, and the "winter" temperatures are finally nice enough (on some days) to do long runs without feeling like you've been drug through the ringer.
Quote Reply