Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone else experiencing the "Go Lance" syndrome?
Quote | Reply
Since the Tour began, and even now that its over, I have had several, 3 or 4, incidents of people driving by me on the bike and shouting "Go Lance!". Makes me chuckle every time. At least they know someone in the cycling world, eh?

It's not because of my speed I can assure you. Nor do I always wear yellow jerseys.

Anybody else?

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else experiencing the "Go Lance" syndrome? [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
several times, by the young high school types.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else experiencing the "Go Lance" syndrome? [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
funny you post this - a buddy of mine was ridding out near an outdoor concert pavilion that the no longer "Grateful" Dead were set to play later that nigh. He said about every third car had someone hanging out the window shouting Go Lance -

I told him to chalk it up to stoners too buzzed to know that not more than just Mr. Armstong rides a bike -

but then again maybe it is a new trend?????????????

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the time, even months ago. And people holding their yellow wrist bands out the car window. A few people have asked me if I started riding my bike because of Lance. I tell them I didn't know who Lance Armstrong was in 1982.

It would be interesting to know if there is an increase in bike ridership due to Armstrong and/or the Tour.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else experiencing the "Go Lance" syndrome? [Foolish Tri Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's better than the "Run, Forrest, Run!", I used to occasionally hear while out on a training run, usually from a carload of Spicolis.

Jeff (not Spicoli)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else experiencing the "Go Lance" syndrome? [je] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.

Frequently....

"Lance Armstrong!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing I got was a middle finger from some hick in Boonesboro, MD last weekend. He was offended by my cycling shorts?

Dave from VA
Last edited by: DC Pattie: Aug 6, 04 12:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All decked out in tight, shiny garb and sporting cycling shoes, I clip-clopped into a convenience store in a very rural area about a month ago. As usual, there was a table in the back and 3-4 old guys wearing feed store hats sitting there chewing the fat. One of 'em looks over at me and shouts "Well, hey there Lance Armstong, how far you ridin' today?"

He then proceeds to give me the update on Le Tour results for the day. I nearly fell over. The old guy not only knew who Lance was, he was following the tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else experiencing the "Go Lance" syndrome? [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
All decked out in tight, shiny garb and sporting cycling shoes, I clip-clopped into a convenience store in a very rural area about a month ago. As usual, there was a table in the back and 3-4 old guys wearing feed store hats sitting there chewing the fat. One of 'em looks over at me and shouts "Well, hey there Lance Armstong, how far you ridin' today?"

He then proceeds to give me the update on Le Tour results for the day. I nearly fell over. The old guy not only knew who Lance was, he was following the tour.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had people shouting at me:
"Go Pluto, Go Pluto"

Makes me chuckle every time. At least they know someone in the triathlon world

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I was doing a ride through the San Gabriel Mountains in SoCal and as I come up to a bridge there is an officer stopping traffic. There are about 100 people out on a bridge a couple hundred yards ahead, just walking around. Apparently they were filming a rap video for television. I had to wait about 15 minutes before I was allowed to pass, along with the line of cars, and the officer made me go last. Anyway, as I'm going through this huge group of black dudes, and 2 white guys who were filming, about 20 of them start yelling and laughing you know what. In a brilliant come back, which surprised me after I said it, I yelled and laughed back "Go Snoop Dogg!" The dudes video who was being taped was Brother SomethingorAnother or Buddy SomethingorAnother, I forget, who I'd never heard of until the cop told me, so I think they probably got my point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just happened this morning, me and my girlfriend climbing up a hill and too tourists hiking were like "so which one of you is lance," we replied that he couldn't hang on and we'd dropped him miles back... =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone read Mike Creed's journal. Some guy in a bike shop was calling him a poser because he was decked out in a full postal kit...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wondering why so many people were stopping to wave at me today. People hanging out at the local farmer's market, etc., all turning around and waving. I usually go through the poorer section of town when I ride (I find the drivers are more courteous, although the town is overall courteous anyway), and people on the porches were waving. I was thinking they've finally seen me enough to recognize me...but, I bet it's just the Lance Armstrong effect. So much for my ego!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, and I thought people thought "I" was Lance.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't get the "Go Lance" but I did get a nice cheering section not too long ago. As I found out after the fact, the Redlands Classic was coming through my town for the first time. I was out doing my regular loop which shared part of the course. I rode over the top of the hill about 15 mins ahead of these guys to a nice ovation. Nothing like being on a break away.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else experiencing the "Go Lance" syndrome? [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similiar experience a couple of weeks ago, riding my long loop that has a stop about 3 hours in at the only store for 30 miles or so. A guy in a Harley shirt, with a big belly and a ZZ top beard asked me if I was following "the tour." I said yes, and he asked me if I had taped the stage, or did I want to know about it now. I said now, of course, and he proceeded to give me a blow by blow of Virenque's stage win, including his "totally dicking" Axel Merckx. I was stunned.

Still am.

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, the yell-out-the-window contingent around here is very knowledgeable when it comes to cycling. In fact, they've frequently mistaken me for a rider whom I've never even heard of. Some guy named Jack Ass.

e.g.,

"Nice shorts, Jack Ass!!"

"Get of the road, Jack Ass!"
Quote Reply