Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone else dissapointed with current state of tri magazines?
Quote | Reply
It seems like some of the magazines are adopting the "sex sells" approach. Now don't get me wrong, I like hot girls in swimsuits just as much as the next guy but it just seems out of place in a triathlon magazine. Could it be because the people publishing the magazines fail to recognize that they're producing a magazine for a fairly specialize niche in society and resort to the tactics that work for the general public? If I wanted to look at gorgeous girls in bikini's then I'd pick up a Maxim, but since I'm looking for training articles and race reports wouldn't it make sense to find more of that in a triathlon magazine? It also seems like the "new tri clothing" articles are just excuses to show this stuff. I really don't want to get painted as THAT guy who is whining and moaning about girls in my tri magazine but I think it's a valid topic for discussion. Whether you agree or disagree, I'm curious to know what you think since it seems (from some of the "letters to the editor" and other posts on this board) that I'm not the only one that finds all this a little odd.

-Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else dissapointed with current state of tri magazines? [strukljv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have nothing against them. I feel like I am still getting all of the info I need, just that they have added some hot girls to it.

I wouldn't take the magazines in that direction, but I certainly won't complain about it either!

Thats just me...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else dissapointed with current state of tri magazines? [strukljv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I'm not dissapointed.

I'm dissapointed that our country is still hung up on sex but has no problem with violence, thats what I am dissapointed about =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bring on the sex!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude...no triathlete mag is bad as h***. Why don't you like them..You don't like looking at hot triathlete women? All those women in the last photo shoot are all triathletes..did you know that? We need more and more hot tri girls!!! You sound married and bitter. Don't worry it'll be okay.

Quote | Reply
" I like hot girls in swimsuits just as much as the next guy but it just seems out of place in a triathlon magazine."

I don't understand this. Why on Earth would hot girls in swimsuits be out of place in a magazine about a sport in which hot girls wear swimsuits? Especially since the girls were all triathletes and they were modeling triathlon swimsuits? We see a gazillion pictures of every other piece of tri equipment, and tons of pictures of people modeling shoes, winter gear, wetsuits, goggles, etc, etc. I guess I don't get the outrage these issues generate, except to think that a lot of people have not much better to do than either bitch or feel self-righteous.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm only a few years into multisport. After the 1st year, I started walking past the newstand in disgust because I know the staple Tri mags are going to be the same as the previous month. zzzzzzzzz My favorite cycling periodical is the Rivendell Reader. Running & Swimming are too simple-in-form to me to require/purchase a periodical.

eg: nothing's more interesting than the simple act of running or swimming itself. what more can be written about that? Cycling, OTOH, has lots of ins & outs that attract good stories. Triathlon, IMHO, should encompass all of this and make for great magnificent stories...but no mags take advantage of that. Therefore, I have ST posts for my Tri story fix.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else dissapointed with current state of tri magazines? [rammerjammer5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the tri mags would be perfect if they added nudity....
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else dissapointed with current state of tri magazines? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hot girls in swimsuits...that what you see at the races..I just renewed the sub..bring on the sex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletes wearing swimming suits... OH NOOOO, THE HUMANITY!

Jorge Martinez
Head Coach - Sports Science
E3 Training Solutions, LLC
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else dissapointed with current state of tri magazines? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I don't get the outrage these issues generate, except to think that a lot of people have not much better to do than either bitch or feel self-righteous.

OK, so first, I really didn't want to sound outraged in my post and I really hope I didn't. I'm not outraged, and I'm not going to boycott Triathlete magazine because of a few girls in swimsuits. In fact, that was probably the reason that it caught my eye when I was at the tri shop today. To me, there seems to be plenty of other outlets for those types of things (Maxim, FHM or whatever else there is). And yes it is nice to see attractive women who happen to be triathletes too (which is attractive in itself), but sometimes it seems out of place IMHO. One occasion where it seemed reasonable was the issue with Fernanda Keller on the cover, not only because she's smoking hot but also because the article about her was pretty interesting as well.

And on your accusation of me being self-righteous (I'm not sure if that was directed at me or as a general comment), trust me, I'm a normal guy in college and I have plenty of reasons not to feel self-righteous.

I'm not married, and I'm not bitter, just bringing up a point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bold was a quote from an earlier post, I haven't actually figured out how to use the quote function yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am more dissappointed with the ratio of ads to articles getting higher. In regard to the chicks, if I want to have a perve there are better magazines that require less of my imagination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"OK, so first, I really didn't want to sound outraged in my post and I really hope I didn't"

No, sorry. I didn't mean you. I meant the people who write all the really outraged letters to the editor.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else dissapointed with current state of tri magazines? [effectivepull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right on dude......nude tris...theres an idea...you know the people that don't like stuff like that are fat and out of shape...they are the ones who would never go shirtless in a tri. They wear the xllll skin suit that probably looks worse than their bare body.hhahahahha

Quote | Reply
And...I have guessed you r not gay!!! Cool....just messing w/ ya! As you can see I am bored stirring up controversy!!

Quote | Reply
Haha, I was starting to get confused. Did you ever see the picture floating around this board that was supposedly from a nude triathlon? It was basically a picture of a bunch of naked guys running on a beach. Mos def not the most appealing picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, the magazines don't offer anything that I can't find on the internet. Race reports (live), photos (100's of them), gear reviews (true reviews, not advertisements), training tips, pro interviews, etc., all on-line with a click or two of the button.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, i'm a girl and i have no problem with it. in fact, those girls are an inspiration to me because they are healthy and athletic, not stick thin with DD fake boobs. most serious female triathletes have great bodies because of the training that they do, and the clothing one wears to race is by its very nature revealing to what is underneath. i don't see anything wrong with having the confidence to show to show what you have worked so hard to create- a body that is fit, fast, and because of that, usually very attractive as well :)

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I am , haven't bought one in about 1 year. Here they are about Usd$ 8-9.50 per issue.

I think they should try and get substantially more content, regarding interviews with athletes , race venue knowledge ,race report of the month ( eg.) , traing locations , etc.

Adverts pay the bills but you gotta give the subscribers what they need and want.

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually...I didn't...but did you see the picture of the underwear triathlon in one of the last magazines...I thought that was hilarious...

...but about your earlier post..I know what you are saying...People like me that have only been cycling for a year or so, do need articles to explain how to improve..now....having said that...most of the women in the triathlet mag you are talking about r too thin to me.....kudos on the recognition of the girl you mentioned before with that p3 in front of her. I tend to like the Becky Lavelle like frame...Too bad girls like that can destroy me in a tri.

Quote | Reply
Truth is that the tri magazines don't offer that much good info compared to the internet. There's far more info on ST than in the magazines. The mags just don't give that much solid information.

I'm totally neutral to the swimsuit issue. Nothing special. Any women's mag surprisingly shows just as many bikini chicks as the men's mags.

Besides, I stopped buying men's girly magazines in my early 20's. Prefer the real thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a really great Tri mag out of Canada - Triathlon Canada - that is long on content and short on gratuitous fluff.

http://www.triathlonmagazine.ca/index.html

[Shout out to my old <I mean, former> coach, Kevin MacKinnon, who is one of the editors.]
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else dissapointed with current state of tri magazines? [Trichiquita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"There is a really great Tri mag out of Canada - Triathlon Canada "

Got a subscription. I'd call it "all right" much more than "great"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else dissapointed with current state of tri magazines? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"There is a really great Tri mag out of Canada - Triathlon Canada "

Got a subscription. I'd call it "all right" much more than "great"
Comparatively speaking ... the few issues I've seen are more content-focused. But then again, that could just be due to less advertising money.
Quote Reply

Prev Next