Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone else cursed with a "pretty good" bike?
Quote | Reply
[All the starving people in the world, and here I am talking about this...]

In the last few months the idea of buying a new (well, probably 2nd hand) TT bike has begun to circulate in my head.

I currently have a 2008 model Felt B2, and I run a 80mm deep rim on the front and a wheelcover and Powertap on the rear. FTP is about 305 watts (but that's only about 3.7 W/Kg). Last year I placed in or around the top 10% for bike splits in the bigger triathlons. I've added about 20 watts over the off-season, and I'm getting in the top ten for bike splits in the small events I've done to date this year.

I have lots of the aero and other bases covered (Lazer aero helmet, between-the-bars horizontal bottle mount, reasonable bike fit (though could get more aggressive certainly), reasonable wheels, latex tubes and Conti GP4000S etc). Maybe my aerobars aren't so good (Vision aerobars with J bend extensions).

So I trained hard for a few months and added 20W to my FTP. Maybe I could add another 20W with a better bike?

On the other hand, I'm probably talking $4-5k to upgrade to a bike that will make that much difference.

I understand that this is a purely subjective value judgement, but would like to hear the opinions/experiences of those who also have a "pretty good" but not outstanding bike. Do you stick with it for a few more seasons, or forever (I mean, it is probably in the top 10% of bikes in the triathlons I do), or go the superbike route?

Or spend some cash on some windtunnel fun, or some time on the poor man's windtunnel optimising my aeroness?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else cursed with a "pretty good" bike? [Shg101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in that situation. I ride an original aluminum P3, that's just a bit too big for me (It's a 56, and I'd need a 54, and probably something with a different stack/reach config). But, right now it's between a powertap and a new frame (Almost bought Rapps frame), and the ptap is winning out.

So, for me it's another year before I'll have an "optimal" frame.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shg101 wrote:

Based on the title of your thread I was going to bust your balls, but you did it for me :-)

Others may correct me, but 20W going from good to great frame sounds like a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P5, that's supposed to save you some time. Besides why would you be on ST and not be riding a Cervelo?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else cursed with a "pretty good" bike? [kkoole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kkoole wrote:
Shg101 wrote:

Based on the title of your thread I was going to bust your balls, but you did it for me :-)

Others may correct me, but 20W going from good to great frame sounds like a lot.

That would be the ideal answer, if true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Transition & love it. At one point, I sure did want to ditch it for a Shiv. But after a while, you get tired of constantly chasing the latest & greatest wheels, aero helmet, etc. I have a Sub9 & 808, but it would be nice to have Firecrest CCs. I have a Wingspan, but it'd be nice to have a Selector. So on, so forth.

But once you end up with more gear than you know what to do with, or are sick of spending more and more money on the newest, you begin to take a degree of pride in just training as hard as you can & blowing by people in races who have 'nicer' bikes than you :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha yeah, 2006 Felt B2 here, aluminum frame, but can't blame my speeds right now on the bike since i only manage to get out 2x a week. So everytime i get a bit of money that i want to burn on triathlons i keep thinking... "ok new frame ooorrr X"

X always wins. always.

...but honestly, i kind of like passing the guys with the zipp FC's on a superbike on my Aluminum beast with borrowed H3's that doesn't *quite* fit right.

On the other side, if someone passes me on a carbon fiber bike, it's obviously because they've dumped so much money into a superior bike. If someone passes me on an aluminum bike, they have no idea what they're doing and must be biking too hard... obviously he's an amateur since he still rides an aluminum frame!

-Jason
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm probably talking $4-5k to upgrade to a bike that will make that much difference.

That price point is complete bullshit.

I just upgraded my 2008 Specialized S works Transition to a Scott Plasma 3 for under $3700 including brand, spanking new DA components except for the rear brake.

I scrimped on things like brake levers (<$8 after tax), elbow pads that I recycled from another set of bars, used my old wheel set and old cages that were laying around.

Go used on the frame/bike. You can upgrade 20w for <$2k easily.

I was cursed with one of the fastest non super bikes available (I guess I still am since I've not sold it yet), but now I'm cursed with one of the fastest bikes available.

Take half of what you saved and dump it into a retirement account (paying yourself back for being smart and saving money), then take 25% and blow it on something fun and you've still got 25% laying around to do something else with.

EDIT: Just checked my receipts, I'm out the door ride ready just under $3300.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 13, 12 13:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's how I rationalized going from "pretty good" to "kick-ass" bike: Given how much time I spend riding bikes, thinking & reading about bikes, and enjoying bikes...the incremental cost for a kick ass tri-bike (I estimated was $3500 in my case) was totally worth it. I amortized $3500 over 3 rides per week for 3 yrs. I am happy to pay an extra $7.48 per ride for super aero frame running RED vs ultegra; and carbon vs aluminum: wheels, aerobars, pedals, bottle cages...

In fact the way I see it, you can't afford NOT to upgrade!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Anyone else cursed with a "pretty good" bike?

Cool
Last edited by: matto: Apr 13, 12 13:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

First Word Problems....

Can't do anything to improve the motor?

http://tricook.blogspot.com/

Last edited by: TriCook: Apr 13, 12 13:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

bikes fine, work on the motor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm cursed with 8 pretty good bikes unfortunately.

You mention that your bikes splits are pretty good. What about your swimming and running?

What is your overall finish place percentage vs your bike splits? Save money and swim/run more. (Or pay for a swim coach).

(Says the guy who just bought a Trek Speed Concept).
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else cursed with a "pretty good" bike? [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:
You mention that your bikes splits are pretty good. What about your swimming and running?

What is your overall finish place percentage vs your bike splits? Save money and swim/run more. (Or pay for a swim coach).

(Says the guy who just bought a Trek Speed Concept).

Run splits just slightly behind the bike splits (18 min open 5k, 40-44 AG).

Swim sucks big time, but am swimming 5x per week and getting coached.

I take your point though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shg101 wrote:

So I trained hard for a few months and added 20W to my FTP. Maybe I could add another 20W with a better bike?

Or spend some cash on some windtunnel fun, or some time on the poor man's windtunnel optimising my aeroness?

20W from a frame upgrade (given your starting point) is waaaay too optimistic.
Use aerolab w/ Golden Cheetah to work on your aeroness, and work on other stuff (transition times, etc) - a new bike won't save you much at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else cursed with a "pretty good" bike? [hidayanra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand how you would get any power gain from a new bike. Does it have motor in it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am totally with you, despite the fact in the broader scheme of things this is something that I have no real right to even be worried about.
I ride a p2 with ultegra and a few DA bits I scrounged up, with some 808s I bought 2nd hand for a bargain.
I also ride in the first 10 or 20 OA in most races I do, including IM, when I don't fall off. I usually finish top 20 as well.
So I sit and wonder, 'If I had a superbike would I be any better?'.
I dunno, probably. But I'd never win anything anyway that would compare to an average salary because I would never be that good, so no one but me would care. I mean, a few minutes (maybe) in a half ironman won't get me from 15th to 3rd. I'd need something like 20 minutes.
The problem is, when you look at these forums, and all these people ride bikes that are more expensive and wind tunnel tested faster than yours, it does make you think.
It's a problem, but not a big one.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else cursed with a "pretty good" bike? [toecutter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whenever the "new bike itch" appears, visualize chrissie wellington, crushing the field on a (now) 4th of the line bike, without any disc, regular bottle cages, no PM, no heart rate monitor.

Look at all the kenian runners watches, no one uses gps splits.

Speed in reality comes from many sources, one is trust in your material. I would not ride experimental hidden brakes, strange aerobar setups and super agressive positions with the same confidence, like in my trusted P2 (which is similar to your Felt).

I see the bike as a weapon, better to have one, that works for me, than some nifty mechanical nightmare, that works well for 40k , if you have an army of mechanics standing by. Or are you REALLY able to fix a hydraulic brake, when the shit hits the fan?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else cursed with a "pretty good" bike? [Indigodog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indigodog wrote:
I don't understand how you would get any power gain from a new bike. Does it have motor in it?

Watts saved to maintain a given speed due to aerodynamic improvements. Sort of a confusing metric because it really should be quoted along with a speed. It has been suggested that quoting CdA values is better.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't get another bike until after I tried some coaching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A "pretty good" bike under a "great cyclist" will be faster than a "great" bike under a "pretty good" cyclist.
A new bike might be worth "seconds". Passing someone on more expensive gear "priceless"

---

"Sometimes it's just easier to do it the hard way."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else cursed with a "pretty good" bike? [endorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sio you're not actually producing more power. You're just putting more power to the wheels through efficiency?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else cursed with a "pretty good" bike? [othegrch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
othegrch wrote:
Passing someone on more expensive gear "priceless"

You don't drive a ten year old, lowered Honda Civic by any chance? :)

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else cursed with a "pretty good" bike? [Indigodog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indigodog wrote:
Sio you're not actually producing more power. You're just putting more power to the wheels through efficiency?

Almost. You are correct that you are not producing more power (provided your position remains the same and discounting psychological effects). More power is not being transferred to the wheels. A bike with a better CdA simply requires less power to maintain some given speed.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply

Prev Next