Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone done Steelhead AND Buckeye Challenge?
Quote | Reply
trying to decide between the two. lots of positive feedback about both races floating around out there, so i'm sure either would be great. would love to hear thoughts/ observations from someone who has done both.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done Steelhead AND Buckeye Challenge? [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I have done both. Steelhead last year and Buckeye in 2001. Both good races, but Steelehead really is better. Specifically:
  • Swim course at Steelhead is on a beautiful beach and is point to point, paralleling the coast. Absolutely magnificent. Swim at Buckeye (when I did it- it has changed since then I think) was two loops in a brown water lake replete with jet ski fuel. Rocky run-up to the TA also.
  • Bike course at Steelehead is absolutely abandon of vehicle traffic. I'm sure I did see a car out there, but I don't remember it. Scenic too. Buckeye's (old) bike course was every bit as scenic and had some awesome climbs. Top marks for both bike courses.
  • The run at Steelhead takes the cake. You transition from a very rural bike course setting to a very urban run course through the heart of downtown Benton Harbor. It is excellent. Just about the time the race is really starting to weight heavily on your psyche you get some much needed distractions.
  • The finish at Steelhead is beautiful- on the beach where it started. Awesome setting.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply