Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone done IM Japan?
Quote | Reply
I was just doing some research, god the island is beatiful! If anyone has done this race or been to Fukue, Japan I would appreciate some pointers.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done IM Japan? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello......is this thing on? (tapping and blowing on mouse)

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done the race in question--nor any IM for that matter--but I HAVE been to Japan, and it is all that and more. If the race gives you a reason to go there, do it. It's worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done IM Japan? [Ginsu Dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, how come no one does IM Japan?

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will second GD in that I have been to Japan several times and would go in a heart beat if I had the chance. Especially for a race.

Tom D did a commentary a while back on international tri’s and he specifically mentioned Japan. You may try his web site to see if you can find it, I couldn’t.

If you end up going, I for one would be looking forward to your race report.

gbrad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could very well stand corrected on this comment, but it is my understanding that IM Japan has often been underdistance. I don't know why and I cannot remember what leg is short.

Personally, as long as the course distance was certified, I would do it.

Quote | Reply
I could very well stand corrected on this comment, but it is my understanding that IM Japan has often been underdistance. I don't know why and I cannot remember what leg is short.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. I may end up PMing some of the pros and see if they know anything. I found a couple of write ups in ST archives on the race but mostly just who won and stuff. Did find a note that the bike is tough. But the profile doesn't look bad, so I don't know if it was the up/down or wind or humidity.

Tom did mention Japan in one of his articles, in fact thats what got me thinking. But he hasn't done it, he was interested in the fact that I picked it when he asked what race we were planning at Ironman U. I was the only one in the room looking at Japan.

My heart is set on doing this race. I just hope my finaces will allow. I have a year to prepare and save, just trying to get a plan together.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and again

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe no Slowtwitcher has done this race.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim, In Inside Triathlon's article on IM Japan has a quote from Brian Rhodes stating "This is one of the hardest Ironman races around. It is hilly, hot and windy. I found it a great place to race with the locals on the island of Goto Fukui shouting encouraging 'Kumbati's' throughout the day." Sounds like IM France in 2002 to me except for the winds!

Triathlete Magazine states the course is:

Swim is a two lap open water swim roped all the way! The swim site at Tomie is volcanic and spectacular, and there is a drink station at the end of the first lap.

Bike is a three looped course around the island, which takes in spectacular coastal scenery and small local villages. The course contains some climbs throughout the island's hills.

Run is a two loop run arouns an extinct volcano, which is mostly flat. At the end of the first lap the course takes competitors along a road known as "the Samurai's road" which was the home of the Samurais who guarded the Palace in years gone by.

Weather: cool spring morning temperatures give way to daytime temps of approximately 77 degrees, making for ideal racing.

Sounds like a great race to do. I have always wanted to go to Japan and spend time discovering the countryside but given the immense language and cultural differences in the countryside I fear a guide and the accompnying expenses make it prohibitive. I think it would be a great expeerience for you and look forward to your report next year.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done IM Japan? [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Julian, I hadn't found that article. The bike profile looked like a lot of up and down but no huge elevation gains. I am currently contemplating learning at least a little Japenese before I go just to help smooth over the rough spots. The area is rich in history I may stay for a couple extra days after the race just to relax. Now to find some hills, where I live is flat as a board farmland.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Sounds like a great race to do. I have always wanted to go to Japan and spend time discovering the countryside but given the immense language and cultural differences in the countryside I fear a guide and the accompnying expenses make it prohibitive. I think it would be a great expeerience for you and look forward to your report next year.
Julian in England. "
----------------------------------------------------

Julian, if you (or any other slowtwitcher) comes to Japan, let me know. I live in Tokyo and can give you some guidance and advice.

This is a great country to explore and it is possible to do lots of stuff without knowing the language - though it does help!

I'm doing Strongman Japan in a couple of weeks and IM Japan is on my shortlist for next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone done IM Japan? [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dave, that is a very kind offer and one I will take you up on if I am ever lucky enough to get that way.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes thanks Dave, see you next year. Any thoughts you ahve on cultural no nos would be appreciatied.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last bump i promise, somebody has to have done this race.

Jim

Quote Reply