Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone do your swim training in a pond?
Quote | Reply
We are looking for a new property to purchase

Thinking about looking for a place with a pond or digging one

Anyone do the majority of your training in a pond?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do your swim training in a pond? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've thought about it once or twice, but every pond I've half considered 1) has all manner of wildlife in it, particularly snapping turtles and cottonmouths, 2) usually has pond scum around the edges and 3) are generally not any larger than a lap pool so would make for some awkward turns.

Digging one out and having some sort of fountain to keep the water moving might be an interesting project. Would probably have to truck in some clay or have some type of liner to ensure it stays filled, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't help but think that you'd have to dig a pretty big pond to make it feel like realistic OWS, and water quality in a man made pond would always be suspect.... basically a petri dish for duck/bird poo, etc...

Is the issue that you are far away from a pool or real lake? Maybe get an endless pool instead?
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Aug 13, 23 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do your swim training in a pond? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Can't help but think that you'd have to dig a pretty big pond to make it feel like realistic OWS, and water quality in a man made pond would always be suspect.

Is the issue that you are far away from a pool or real lake? Maybe get an endless pool instead?

Thank you for the input

I have been considering putting in a 50 yard single lane pool. And thought, well we want a pond anyways so maybe something like a 1 or 2 acre pond instead

the properties we are looking at have between 1 acre and 5 acre ponds

so thought maybe that instead of the pool
Last edited by: MrTri123: Aug 13, 23 7:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was an Aussie triathlete who moved to US years ago and bought acres in Florida to create an ā€œtraining compoundā€. He had like bunk style housing, big ass kitchen facility, trainer studio with like 10+ trainers all hooked up. He also had an 2 lane 50m pool on the property.

Was a super good facility just outside Clermont, FL. I believe he sold most of the gear and I think the pool is still there (not being used).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do your swim training in a pond? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh very cool!

I live pretty close

Im planning something in SC or GA

but very cool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up with a great farm pond for tubing and rafting and fishing and ice skating. And currently live in a condo complex with a really nice several acre pond, great for fishing, and small kayak paddle board type stuff. But swimming? No way! Blue green algae, snapping turtles, snakes, tons of duck and geese shit, and chiggers. Our back patio is 10 yards from waters edge, and we rarely hang out there, because nasty chiggers. And every now and then, there are the stories of someone getting the brain eating ameba from a dirty farm or campground pond. A big no for me.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do your swim training in a pond? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry not that kind of pond

More like this

Ah ok sorry not talking about a pond like that

More like this. And approx 600 yards long

https://www.hunker.com/...atural-swimming-pool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw something on facebook yesterday about natural swimming pools...good timing.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want an 600yd pool "natural" swimming pool like you linked? I would imagine the cost of that is going to be through the roof vs just digging up and creating an natural pond on your property.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
You want an 600yd pool "natural" swimming pool like you linked? I would imagine the cost of that is going to be through the roof vs just digging up and creating a natural pond on your property.

You think more than the a 25yard/meter 1 lane pool as others here on ST have done?

There are a few people who have done lap pools as well as swimming ponds here on ST over the years

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...kyard_Pool_P7848018/

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._questions_P7122067/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm not understanding what you are saying. You first linked a "natural pool" link and I would have thought just digging up and. creating your own pond would be a much cheaper option. So what is the last video, that's not a. "natural pool" is it? They just dug up their own pond didn't they (with natural islands in the middle of it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In this planning stage Iā€™m open to anything Iā€™m getting peoples input from the other thread seems like quite a few people did the 50 yard lap pool with Salt for keeping it clean that might be the best way to go
Last edited by: MrTri123: Aug 13, 23 12:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walden Pond.

Concord, Massachusetts.

About 1,000 yards long.

The definition of a pond in New England equates to most lakes elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
In this planning stage Iā€™m open to anything Iā€™m getting peoples input from the other thread seems like quite a few people did the 50 yard lap pool with Salt for keeping it clean that might be the best way to go

Iā€™m 2 years into my 25m single lane salt pool on the Kohala Coast. I think your biggest issue as you go larger is going to be keeping it clean. Sure, the salt is a good way to go in terms of needing less chlorine, but you still need some. The biggest source of cleaning issues, though, is the wind blowing in leaves and dust - your filtration system can get overloaded if you get a lot of it. If I were doing it over, I would have gone with a sand filter instead of cartridge filter setup - much easier to clean out the filter quickly.

My only other comment is if youā€™ve got room for 50y, for the love of God make it 50m. :-)

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do your swim training in a pond? [ihersey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ihersey wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

Iā€™m 2 years into my 25m single lane salt pool on the Kohala Coast. I think your biggest issue as you go larger is going to be keeping it clean. Sure, the salt is a good way to go in terms of needing less chlorine, but you still need some. The biggest source of cleaning issues, though, is the wind blowing in leaves and dust - your filtration system can get overloaded if you get a lot of it. If I were doing it over, I would have gone with a sand filter instead of cartridge filter setup - much easier to clean out the filter quickly.

My only other comment is if youā€™ve got room for 50y, for the love of God make it 50m. :-)

Ian

Thank you for the info

Should have room for an entire stadium lol but am limiting it to 25 yards if I go with a pool

I thought Monty had a 3 lane 25 yard pool and only uses salt

Maybe he will chime in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
ihersey wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

Ian

Thank you for the info

Should have room for an entire stadium lol but am limiting it to 25 yards if I go with a pool

I thought Monty had a 3 lane 25 yard pool and only uses salt

Maybe he will chime in

Seriously, if I had to do this, I'd just intentionally choose a house within a stone's throw of either a community pool with good hours/access, or a country club (some communities have a mini-country club situation that gives you pool access but doesn't cost a fortune.)

One guy here lives across the street from my community mini-country club and he moved there specifically because of it. (I actually swim at a bigger pool)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do your swim training in a pond? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We did that. We moved to a condo complex across the street from our cities largest gym franchise. I have a 25m indoor pool less than 200 yards from my front door. On top of endless gym equipment, and every variant of elliptical/treadmills /stair steppers/rowers/spin bikes/etc and every yoga aerobic Zumba class imaginable.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Aug 13, 23 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve got a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for youā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.
Couldnā€™t resist šŸ˜€

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Endless Swamp

Love it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I guess I'm not understanding what you are saying. You first linked a "natural pool" link and I would have thought just digging up and. creating your own pond would be a much cheaper option. So what is the last video, that's not a. "natural pool" is it? They just dug up their own pond didn't they (with natural islands in the middle of it.

https://www.hunker.com/...atural-swimming-pool
The link posted describes what needs to be done to not have it turn in to an 'endless swamp' (good one Wannabe)
digging it out is just a start, would be useless in no time without the systems discussed.

sounds well thought out. however, i wonder how many don't turn into
mosquito infested shitholes, even with creating the natural systems to keep it operating properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents.

I have a 12.5 yard pool in SoCal (8 yards wide). When we bought this house, we were moving from the coast, and I thought that a pool is a must to keep cool in the 100 degree summer heat. Well, then the city open a municipal pool and we discovered that our pool is a pain in the ass to maintain. Runs me $350/month easy, and if something breaks, we're talking marine units to fix it.

I cannot imagine the hassle and the expense of digging a pond. If I start over at a new place, no way I am having a pool again - it will be a stainless steel tank with endless pool in a covered area.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do your swim training in a pond? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2c too

If I were OP I would just live near a pool - like what Lightheir says

If you're constantly adjusting and monitoring the levels of 'swimming pond' it may take the fun out of swimming in it and be a big time suck

If you've got enough cash to build a backyard swimming pond you've probably got enough cash to find a nice area, a nince house, & near enough to ride to a nice pool

Sounds like a fun project though - if money was absolutely no object to me I am not sure whether I would get a pool in my house. Of course I could pay someone to keep it in shape but going to the pool has a social aspect too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in southeastern Georgia and at times I have done a majority of my swimming in ponds. I live in a neighborhood that contains one large-ish lake and several smaller lakes/large ponds (however you want to define them). One was about 250-300 yards across and I swam a few laps back and forth depending on the length of the race I was training for. The pond has at various times been home to alligators, all manner of turtles, snakes, and water fowl. Never had a problem with any of them. Iā€™d ride my bike to the pond, swim a bit, then keep riding. The biggest problem was how hot the water got in the summer.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do your swim training in a pond? [velorunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snapping turtles and cottonmouths wonā€™t bother you. Neither will alligators - for the most part.

RP
Quote Reply

Prev Next